TPS Mass State Strongman, 7/23

I’m starting to get pretty geeked for my second strongman show, mass states. Anybody else going?

I’ll be there, but as a spectator. Several guys from the GripBoard are going, including the Diesel Crew. Good luck!

I can’t make it up there this go’round. I was up for the Elite seminar they hosted. Murph and Bob seem like great guys. And I’ve never seen so many donuts disappear in so short a time, than I did when Tate, Wendler, and Murph were in the same room.

Say, here’s a dumb question (but I’ll ask anyway), is the competition for Massachusetts residents only, or could, suppose, a New York native with no competitive experience have a go at it?

EDIT–Doh!! I just noticed you’re from N.Y. Oops.

Is this the one on 7/23 in Revere? I have never been to one before, but was thinking of going and watching (heck, maybe I’ll even try one next year). Is it the kind of thing I could bring the kids?

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
Is this the one on 7/23 in Revere? I have never been to one before, but was thinking of going and watching (heck, maybe I’ll even try one next year). Is it the kind of thing I could bring the kids?
[/quote]

That’s the one. I’d think it would be ok to bring the kids along. Here’s the website if you need contact info (in case you’d like to call and make sure).

http://www.totalperformancesports.com/

There’s a link near the bottom that takes you to a flyer for the competition.

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
[/quote]

Yup, Murph keeps it clean. It’s a lot of fun - I helped out as part of my internship at TPS last year. Wish I could get out there for this one to compete, looks like a great show.

You should give a competition a try, Bob and Murph try to keep the novice class weights accessible but still challenging.

They are really great guys - say hi after the show if you’re interested in giving strongman a shot, they’ll probably invite you to TPS for a workout.

If the slushy guy is there (Chris Manly, goes by “Duddy”), ask for a silly slushy. Those are awesome :slight_smile:

-Dan

I was actually already on their website and have the flyer saved on my computer. I just re-read it and is says kids under 5 get in free, so that must mean it’s OK. If nothing comes up, I think I’ll go check it out - sounds fun. So if you see a semi-buff mom with a baby and a crazy 4y/o, that’ll be me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
I’m starting to get pretty geeked for my second strongman show, mass states. Anybody else going?[/quote]

Be careful now…don’t get to “geeked.”

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Be careful now…don’t get to “geeked.”
[/quote]

For some reason it doesn’t seem wrong to me for a strongman to bite the heads off of live chickens, as long as the entire chicken is consumed…

Maybe I’m alone in that thought, though. :slight_smile:

-Dan

I’ll be there judging/timing and drinking beer (after the comp only of course)

I went to the competition this morning - it was SO COOL! I got to see about 1/2 of it before the kids melted down and we had to leave :frowning:

I’ve never been to one before and I was really impressed by all the big guys busting their asses. Major kudos to these guys. There were also 2 women that I saw who did great. Makes me wonder how much stronger I’d need to get to try something like that…

Anyways, getting to check out some big strong guys lifting heavy stuff was a pretty cool way to spend the morning. And I even got to see Brad Cardoza in the flesh (from a distance)…oooohhhhh… :wink:

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
I went to the competition this morning - it was SO COOL! I got to see about 1/2 of it before the kids melted down and we had to leave :frowning:

I’ve never been to one before and I was really impressed by all the big guys busting their asses. Major kudos to these guys. There were also 2 women that I saw who did great. Makes me wonder how much stronger I’d need to get to try something like that…

Anyways, getting to check out some big strong guys lifting heavy stuff was a pretty cool way to spend the morning. And I even got to see Brad Cardoza in the flesh (from a distance)…oooohhhhh… ;)[/quote]

I tried to pick you out to say hey but didn’t have any luck figuring out who you were. I was with the guys at the Diesel Crew tent for most of the show anyway.

Great show, it was my first time watching one in person, and now I think I’m hooked. I’ll have to see if there are any other competitions around here.

I meant to talk to Brad C after the show but I got too distracted by the Inch DB, Blob, 90 lb KB and especially the Rolling Thunder. Fun times!

Yeah, i tried to look for jillybop too. in fact, I saw this woman with a little boy walking around, and she looked like she might be jillybop (judging from some pics i think she’s posted on here) and i actually went over and asked “this might be completely random, but do you post on an internet web site called T-Mag?” she had no idea wtf i was talking about. somewhat awkward.

my comp went all right, at first i was satisfied because i felt like I had done as well as I could do, but i took fourth, and that really pisses me off. On the one hand i need more work with the implements, eg it was only my 3rd time lifting stones so it took me a few seconds just to get my technique locked back in, i was all over teh place at first.

Two of the guys i was competing against train at art mcdermotts place, so they have access to stones and stuff all the time. On the other hand, in the axle deadlift I got 15 reps, they each tied with 19. Not too much there thats technique oriented, they’re just straight up stronger than me.

brights spots were
-winning the medley event (i think i did, cuz I dont think the other guys finished, I know one of em didnt, i heard nobody else did. i’ll have to check that when nastrongman posts the results.)
-hanging with teh diesel boys
-getting chunks of my palms torn off in both the deadlift and the farmers walk … sweeeet
-brad encouraging me on the conans wheel.

Sorry I missed you guys! KBC, sounds like you did great!

Not to hijack (but since it’s over I guess it’s OK), I was wondering if there is a baseline strength level I could shoot for to consider trying a competition in the future? Any ideas on poundage on some traditional lifts (since I don’t have access to strongman equip) that would be a minimum strength level needed to compete? Does that make sense? Any thoughts? Thanks!