Toxic Chinese Amino Acids

If the amino acid [gluten, l-glutamate] from China in pet food has been poisoned, should we assume that the amino acids that we get from China are safe? I can’t think of any amino acids that I have purchased that are not from China.

L-tryptophan, 1980’s, from Japan was contaminated and killed [mostly women] who used it. Contamination occurred from a new process, not adulteration.

You do not know the answer. But I don’t think that asking bulk nutrition would be productive either. Still, it is a question that should be asked.

[quote]KSman wrote:
If the amino acid [gluten, l-glutamate] from China in pet food has been poisoned, should we assume that the amino acids that we get from China are safe? I can’t think of any amino acids that I have purchased that are not from China.

L-tryptophan, 1980’s, from Japan was contaminated and killed [mostly women] who used it. Contamination occurred from a new process, not adulteration.

You do not know the answer. But I don’t think that asking bulk nutrition would be productive either. Still, it is a question that should be asked.[/quote]

Well, aminos are aminos, right?

Apparently not! Many of the amino chains found in nature are absolutely toxic. Most of the neuro-toxic venoms in snakes and myco-toxins that naturaly occur in mushrooms like the “Angel of death” amanita or the deadly gallerina are amino chains.

To eat them because they fit an amino profile would kill a person rather quickly and painfully.

To simply categorize an ingredient as the chinese manufacturer did was extrordinarily irresponsible.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:

Why would you be buying amino acids from China? I am aware that many things are manufactured there but everyone knows that when you are buying things to consume you buy from the most legitimate retailers. You may pay a bit more but you are usually assured a quality product…you do know that right?
[/quote]

When you purchase these over the net, the vendor will often post the quality certificate or whatever it is called, and these are always from China. I am referring to purchase of specific amino acids, not a protein mix or blend. I think that the Chinese prices will take over the market or has already in to some degree.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
KSman wrote:

When you purchase these over the net, the vendor will often post the quality certificate or whatever it is called, and these are always from China. I am referring to purchase of specific amino acids, not a protein mix or blend. I think that the Chinese prices will take over the market or has already in to some degree.

Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear. If you purchased your supplements from a reputable name such as Biotest or Prolab you wouldn’t have to worry.

You see, anyone can tell you anything on the Internet.

It’s called lying.

[/quote]

But most of the single amino acid products do now come from China, and now we have the possibility of the lies starting there. A US supplier that repacks those products or uses those in a their own blended products cannot protect you from the problems in China. No different than the current problem with pet food products from companies with “reputable name[s]”.