Town Foils Westboro Church Protest Plans

Might be the only time I ever say this- but good job Mississippi.

Mississippi Town Destroys Westboro Baptist Plans
April 21, 2011

The Westboro Baptist Church once again makes the headlines. This time however, the good news is that they were foiled in their attempts to disrupt another servicemanâ??s funeral.

Mississippi gives the Westboro the kind of welcome that we would all like to give.

Since we have reported on the Westboro Baptist Church a few times here, it is fitting that we update you on the latest.

Last Saturday, USMC Staff Sgt. Jason Rogers was laid to rest in Brandon, Mississippi. He was killed in action in Afghanistan on April 7th. Many of the townâ??s residents paid homage along the route of the fallen hero as his body was transported home.

Most notably absent were the Westboro protestors who planned a large demonstration at Sgt. Rogersâ?? funeral. According to an Ole Miss message board, a tidbit of infoâ?¦â?¦â?¦…

â??A couple of days before, one of them (Westboro protestors) ran his mouth at a Brandon gas station and got his arse waxed. Police were called and the beaten man could not give much of a description of who beat him. When they canvassed the station and spoke to the large crowd that had gathered around, no one seemed to remember anything about what had happened.

Rankin County handled this thing perfectly. There were many things that were put into place that most will never know about and at great expense to the county.

Most of the morons never made it out of their hotel parking lot. It seems that certain Rankin county pickup trucks were parked directly behind any car that had Kansas plates in the hotel parking lot and the drivers mysteriously disappeared until after the funeral was over. Police were called but their wrecker service was running behind and it was going to be a few hours before they could tow the trucks so the Kansas plated cars could get out.

A few made it to the funeral but were ushered away to be questioned about a crime they might have possibly been involved in. Turns out, after a few hours of questioning, that they were not involved and they were allowed to go on about their business.â??

It might be legal for the protestors to be there, but it isnâ??t right. Thankfully, the citizens of Brandon agreed and arranged for these slight incidents to keep the unwanted pests away. The Westboro mob never made it to the funeral and Sgt. Rogers was laid to rest without incident.

Fred Phelps, who is the leader of Westboro mob, is a disbarred lawyer and Democratic activist. Other members of his family hold law degrees. They use our court system often and have sued and won countless times all with financial gain to themselves, helping to fund their sickening activities. Undoubtedly, Phelps will plan a lawsuit against someone in Mississippi because his grand plans were thwarted. Mississippi folks says let him. There isnâ??t a jury in the whole state that will see things his way.

While I understand the Supreme Court ruling allowing Phelps and his gang to demonstrate, I sure appreciate the fact that citizens take it upon themselves to do the right thing. If it takes the community to gather around the bereaved to keep these thugs away, then so be it. I hope every town learns from the example set by people of Brandon, Mississippi.

http://www.retirelikeme.com/2011/04/21/mississippi-town-destroys-westboro-baptist-plans/

Another source about the incident.

Quality… pure quality

Clint Eastwood, TC, and Ted MOTHER FUCKING Williams all approve.

lol this seems familiar…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Another source about the incident.

http://peoplesworld.org/extremist-westboro-church-foiled-in-mississippi/[/quote]

So, it may be legal for the Phelps group to protest at funerals, but it is also legal to spit in their faces.

Nice!

The velvet rope, VIP section of hell is reserved just for Westboro Baptist Church members.

While I applaud what it represents, it appears this is not a true story. Scroll down in the comments section of the first link and it seems that it is fabricated by a blogger and spreading like wildfire across the web.

Hope that it is true though.

[quote]postholedigger wrote:

So, it may be legal for the Phelps group to protest at funerals, but it is also legal to spit in their faces.

Nice![/quote]

Pretty much.

Not sure where everybody got this idea that WBC was allowed to protest without anybody disagreeing with them.

Free speech works both ways, go out and protest WBC!

How about someone slash the tires of the cars of the WBC peeps? Seriously, this shit is sickening, to think someone would protest one of our soldiers’ funeral, I mean shit man. Not invoking violence (well maybe just a little), but if they love the Lord so much, why not send them to their maker?

This was a surprisingly uplifting story. Thank you for posting it. I only wish the press would stop giving them so much free publicity. It’s the only reason they remain remotely relevant.

[quote]bcingu wrote:
This was a surprisingly uplifting story. Thank you for posting it. I only wish the press would stop giving them so much free publicity. It’s the only reason they remain remotely relevant.[/quote]

eh, if they come to your town, it’s newsworthy. Most of the people will buy the paper if they see that on the front page… and if you don’t cover it, you’re accused of not paying attention or whatever.

It’s a tricky line, although in principle I agree with you.

This town is only about two hours from where Im at and I am not suprised at all about this.

[quote]bcingu wrote:
This was a surprisingly uplifting story. Thank you for posting it. I only wish the press would stop giving them so much free publicity. It’s the only reason they remain remotely relevant.[/quote]

eh, if they come to your town, it’s newsworthy. Most of the people will buy the paper if they see that on the front page… and if you don’t cover it, you’re accused of not paying attention or whatever.

It’s a tricky line, although in principle I agree with you.[/quote]

You’re right. Realistically I can’t blame the media for covering them because the last time they came to my town, it was a big deal for me, personally, as well as many others. The WBC has a weird effect on me like few others are capable, where I find myself questioning the validity of violent (counter-)protest and limited free speech - two things to which I’m usually staunchly opposed. They just make it impossible for me to think rationally, which I find pretty disturbing.

Personally, I’m pleased that the media gives them so much air time. Their devious activities SHOULD be out in broad daylight so EVERY American can see what these UNCHRISTIAN-LIKE assholes are up to.

[quote]bcingu wrote:

[quote]bcingu wrote:

It’s a tricky line, although in principle I agree with you.[/quote]

You’re right. Realistically I can’t blame the media for covering them because the last time they came to my town, it was a big deal for me, personally, as well as many others. The WBC has a weird effect on me like few others are capable, where I find myself questioning the validity of violent (counter-)protest and limited free speech - two things to which I’m usually staunchly opposed. They just make it impossible for me to think rationally, which I find pretty disturbing.[/quote]

I think many, many people feel exactly the same way.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
lol this seems familiar…[/quote]

It happened in Tuscon too, except no one said anything because it was all Knights.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
How about someone slash the tires of the cars of the WBC peeps? Seriously, this shit is sickening, to think someone would protest one of our soldiers’ funeral, I mean shit man. Not invoking violence (well maybe just a little), but if they love the Lord so much, why not send them to their maker?[/quote]

Because we’re not them.

unfortunately no provisions will be made to the constitution barring this outlandish behavior. Precedent says that protest not interfering with the exception of time(protesting at 3 am), place(protesting in way that would for example block traffic) and manner (violent?)is a legal one. Ironically what they do is at an unfortunate time and an unfortunate location but not in the eyes of the law, which is quite sad.