T Nation

Towel Chins For Great Grip

Any of you guys still use these in your training? I did some last night and they destroyed my forearms…Now I remember why they are such agreat grip exercise…

Will42

I forget sometimes, throw them in, and quickly remember. They are awesome. I would like to buy different diameter rope next and work that in. A prefab with a hook would be nice but on the cheap, just getting the rope and doubling it over the bar might work.

Here is the thing. I have earmarked 20,000 for my home gym in two years, and I am drawing it up and changing accessories and assistance things all the time.

Towels offer a good change of pace. I think all chin-ups/pull-ups are good and should be mixed up for max benefit.

Try softball chins. Drill a 1/4" hole and insert an eye bolt. Grip the ball and try to chin.

TNT

awesome idea. I have heard it before but I will put that on the list.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Last semester when i was training the football team at my college, we would have them just hang from the towel with their arms straight. the goal was to hold on for a minute, very few actually achieved it. but if you let go you just kept going until your time reached that one minute mark.

try gripping something after doing three sets of that. also, if you have a lifting partner, sit down across from each other with the soles of your shoes flat against each others. take two towels and grip one side each (your right hand will match up against his left and and vice versa). play tug-o-war with the towels. its another great forearm and grip workout.

e

Another good one is chins with thick rope.

[quote]Easy E wrote:
Last semester when i was training the football team at my college, we would have them just hang from the towel with their arms straight. the goal was to hold on for a minute, very few actually achieved it. but if you let go you just kept going until your time reached that one minute mark.

try gripping something after doing three sets of that. also, if you have a lifting partner, sit down across from each other with the soles of your shoes flat against each others. take two towels and grip one side each (your right hand will match up against his left and and vice versa). play tug-o-war with the towels. its another great forearm and grip workout.

e[/quote]
Cool ideas!! I will have to give them a try.