Toughest Cop Competition Advice

I just recently learned that my department is going to put on a toughest cop competition in about three months. I don’t know yet what the events are going to be, but I heard that it is going to be split up by weight class and some possible events will be similar to the strongest man comps (i.e. tire flip, etc.)

I’m planning on entering to see where I stand for my weight/age (I’m 23, 6’00" and 185 lbs.), but I would appreciate some good input on how I should gear my training for the next three months. Currently I lift four days a week and train brazilian jiu jitsu three days a week. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

well if its similar to a strongman comp, I would contact your North American Strongman state chair, they should be able to help you out with training days. You can get contact info at nastrongmaninc.com

In Cook County, more specifically Chicago, we have a good number of different competitions for officers. I’ve checked out a few of them and they are VERY competitive. One of my favorites is the Cops vs. Firemen. Pretty much a toughman contest but pitting the two against each other. I was a cornerman recently for a friend (even had “Stitch” printed on my shirt).

I notice a trend in most officers being runners. Next seems to be bodybuilders (CPD has a guy sponsored by a well known supplement company) and lastly boxing.

After seeing what level I would be competing at, I won’t bother entering anything until I’m sure I can hang.

I wish more LEO’s would participate in these sort of events.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
well if its similar to a strongman comp, I would contact your North American Strongman state chair, they should be able to help you out with training days. You can get contact info at nastrongmaninc.com[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I’ll check that out. I should know soon exactly what events will compose the competition, but I’ve never competed in this type of comp before. It should be a good experience.

[quote]t officer wrote:
In Cook County, more specifically Chicago, we have a good number of different competitions for officers. I’ve checked out a few of them and they are VERY competitive. One of my favorites is the Cops vs. Firemen. Pretty much a toughman contest but pitting the two against each other. I was a cornerman recently for a friend (even had “Stitch” printed on my shirt).

I notice a trend in most officers being runners. Next seems to be bodybuilders (CPD has a guy sponsored by a well known supplement company) and lastly boxing.

I wish more LEO’s would participate in these sort of events. [/quote]

I agree. Most of the guys on my department are very competitive and there is definately a trend towards the distance running and boxing. I prefer the contact sports, but this should be a lot of fun. I have a lot of work to do, but it will be good to see where I stand among my fellow officers in this sort of comp.