T Nation

Touch and Go vs Rest for Deadlifting

When deadlifting for multiple reps(3-5), and if proper form can be maintained, do you prefer touch and go or resetting after every rep for deadlifting?

Thanks

[quote]fnf wrote:
When deadlifting for multiple reps(3-5), and if proper form can be maintained, do you prefer touch and go or resetting after every rep for deadlifting?

Thanks[/quote]

I’ll take this one CT.

Reset after every rep. First of all, the lift is called a “deadlift”, as in lifting from a dead stop. So the bar needs to come to a complete stop on each and every rep. Secondly, it’s virtually impossible to lower the bar to the ground and end up in perfect position to start another rep, so you’re best off lowering the bar to the ground and repositioning yourself again for the next rep. Thirdly, in order to maximize the benefits of this particular lift, you are best off not allowing the stretch reflex in your hips, glutes, quads, hams, etc etc to help generate momentum upward again. Fourthly, and this is just based on my own experience, it’s easier to keep a good grip on the bar by resetting on each rep rather than letting the impact on the ground from touching and going slightly jar your grip.

Always reset… nobody maintains the exact form they use from the floor (deadstart) when they touch and go. It might feel pretty much the same, but there are some slight differences in both movement path and muscle tension that makes it a bit different. As a result there will be less transfer to strength from the floor. We all know some lifters who can pull (let’s say) 405lbs for 5+ reps but cannot get more than 415 for a single.

And even if you maintain proper body position when doing touch and go you WILL lose some muscle tension which makes the movement more hazardous.

Plus, even if your minimize the bounce, the touch and go still still “helps you” with the start of the movement and as a result, that portion of the lift doesn’t get strong as fast and might become a week point.

IMHO touch and go on deadlift is in the same boat as lifting the butt in the air when bench pressing.

Wow, pretty harsh words comparing butt lift benching and touch/go deadlift!

I guess i just didnt expect that from you lol. I have generally been of the opinion if muscle mass is what you care about then touch/go is fine, keeps tension rolling, but if you want strength as your primary goal then reset. Personally i really like the grip challenge of rep deadlifting without resetting, but it doesn’t carry over to strength as much. Generally, i guess, as i personally don’t get a ridiculous amount out of not resetting, seems i do a slight touch over 90% as my 3RM which is only distorted a little from “normal”. that said interesting & great answer

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Wow, pretty harsh words comparing butt lift benching and touch/go deadlift!

I guess i just didnt expect that from you lol. I have generally been of the opinion if muscle mass is what you care about then touch/go is fine, keeps tension rolling, but if you want strength as your primary goal then reset. Personally i really like the grip challenge of rep deadlifting without resetting, but it doesn’t carry over to strength as much. Generally, i guess, as i personally don’t get a ridiculous amount out of not resetting, seems i do a slight touch over 90% as my 3RM which is only distorted a little from “normal”. that said interesting & great answer[/quote]

Some people with very solid form can pull off the touch and go deadlift when training for size. But still, rarely do I include any form of deadlifting for higher reps.