Touch and go deadlift benefits?

I’ve always did my deadlifts dead stop off the ground and always strictly believing in deadstop. But just recently i was thinking if there was any benefits of doing TnG. My sticking point is just below the knee so technically would TnG help?

So for example, i have a day for a normal deadlift dead stop. Then I add a lighter day( prob 60%) dling TnG with high reps,maybe after a squat day? I heard george leeman was a fan of high rep tng so just wanted some opinion on this idea as having TnG as a variation.

Hey man, do what George Leeman says you to do, I have been doing his stuff for a while and my deadlift has improved a ton!

He says that you can use high rep ( 20 ) Romanian Deadlifts for strength around the knee

[quote]TheChosenOne98 wrote:
Hey man, do what George Leeman says you to do, I have been doing his stuff for a while and my deadlift has improved a ton!

He says that you can use high rep ( 20 ) Romanian Deadlifts for strength around the knee[/quote]

For your romanians do you touch the floor or stop below the knee?

You stop just below the knee and don 't lock out, you can do something like this:

Normal Dead-stop Deadlifts ( work-up to working sets )

Romanian Deadlifts ( 1 set x20 reps to failure )

If I was you I would do Deadlift stance parallel box squat, these will help you off the floor, so if you are strong off the floor that means you will be able to get to the knee position faster meaning that you will be able to beat your weakest point faster and easier due to the increased speed off the floor.

I go as low as possible with RDLs because that’s a great way to improve mobility and strengthens the muscles which keep your back flat in the bottom position. Basically nothing else worked for me.

Your goals are most likely not my goals though

No most people do not do well with TNG. Form breaks down and you don’t build strength off the floor as much. Stick with your DEADlifts

If you fail at the knees, it’s not an issue of lockout. You need to build more SPEED off the ground. Do deficit deadlifts

Hmm thats interesting. I never box squats before though. Cause I dont have a box here. If i use a bench would it still work? And if I do use them, how would i programme them. Like rep scheme wise? Im currently on 5/3/1 now so i assume i would i put them a squat day as “deadlift assistance”?

Thanks for the response. Maybe TnG should be used for the advanced people who really know what they’re doing. About the deficit usually how much would be ideal? And the reps wise are they meant to be more of heavy set?

[quote]tsantos wrote:
I go as low as possible with RDLs because that’s a great way to improve mobility and strengthens the muscles which keep your back flat in the bottom position. Basically nothing else worked for me.

Your goals are most likely not my goals though[/quote]

I’ve seen people doing RDLs on a deficit for a better stretch. I never tried it cause my back will probably round right at mid shin. But going low as possible is the best for building strength so why not I’ll give it a go when i can. Thanks for the advice

I’ve been pulling exclusively touch and go deadlifts since 2011. I think they’re an awesome training tool, and they have been incredibly helpful in building my deadlift in a variety of rep ranges and various ranges of motion.

That being said, if you are stalling just below the knees, I would imagine you may have a technique issue. You may not be hinging at the hips properly, as that tends to be where the hip hinge needs to occur to finish the movement. It may be weak muscles (the glutes), or poor technique, or improper cuing, or poor set-up, etc. Whole lot of potential causes. Do you have a video?

Ill see if i can get a video up. Maybe on my next training day man. Will probably make a new thread

Touch and go is fine, but best to do both.

Do your sets of whatever, then touch and go for max reps on the last set.

George Leeman pulls over 900 lbs, I think he has some knowledge on the subject, he’s touch and go. He is like me, the first pull is real hard, and it may be an actual max effort, but that max effort I can touch and go for reps, so why not build the strength.

Basically, treat tofu and go as overload work. Do your 2x2 or whatever your program is, then do a third rep for as many as you can touch and go.

[quote]Wheynelau wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:

I’ve seen people doing RDLs on a deficit for a better stretch. I never tried it cause my back will probably round right at mid shin. But going low as possible is the best for building strength so why not I’ll give it a go when i can. Thanks for the advice[/quote]

If you are doing defect rdl’s then you are doing them wrong. The bar goes to mid chin-ish, then you can either lockout or go to mid thigh. Th weights never make it to the ground; hence, no need for deficit. Basically, a deficit rdl is a deadlift

[quote]dzirkelb wrote:

[quote]Wheynelau wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:

I’ve seen people doing RDLs on a deficit for a better stretch. I never tried it cause my back will probably round right at mid shin. But going low as possible is the best for building strength so why not I’ll give it a go when i can. Thanks for the advice[/quote]

If you are doing defect rdl’s then you are doing them wrong. The bar goes to mid chin-ish, then you can either lockout or go to mid thigh. Th weights never make it to the ground; hence, no need for deficit. Basically, a deficit rdl is a deadlift
[/quote]

I think it really depends on the individual i feel its a flexibility thing. If you can stretch your hams more i think its better. The typical ROM idea that a greater ROM has a greater impact. God have you seen the chinese weightlifters that literally good morning off the floor. Exaggerating but u get what i mean i feel if you can get lower while still targetting the hamstrings why not. Just my opinion :slight_smile:

[quote]dzirkelb wrote:

George Leeman pulls over 900 lbs, I think he has some knowledge on the subject, he’s touch and go. He is like me, the first pull is real hard, and it may be an actual max effort, but that max effort I can touch and go for reps, so why not build the strength.

Basically, treat tofu and go as overload work. Do your 2x2 or whatever your program is, then do a third rep for as many as you can touch and go.[/quote]

I like that idea bro. Thanks for the info. By the way regarding the previous post i might have gotten it confused with stiff legged deadlifts sry man.

[quote]Wheynelau wrote:

[quote]dzirkelb wrote:

Basically, treat tofu and go as overload work. Do your 2x2 or whatever your program is, then do a third rep for as many as you can touch and go.[/quote]

I like that idea bro. Thanks for the info. By the way regarding the previous post i might have gotten it confused with stiff legged deadlifts sry man.[/quote]

Ha, that makes a lot more sense, and I can see the benefit in that if you have the mobility