Totally New Here, Need Help

You’ve absorbed massive amounts of information. I thought you’d been on it for several years.

I don’t know about these either. But hell, I don’t mind asking these guys either. I understand some of the functions of the Thyroid (they’re in the Hypothalamic Pituitary Axis’s) exchanges but not as they relate to trt. All I know about Pregnenalon is that it’s the parent hormone for all the other sex hormones…it’s a step between the conversion of cholesterol to Test, Estrogens, and Cortisol.

As far as the Thyroid goes. I believe the process is part of a loop like the other hormones produced by the Hypothalamic Pituitary Axis’s. I don’t know what signals the Hypothalamus but it signals the Pituitary which produces TSH which directs the Thyroid to release T4 which is either bound by a protein or free. T4 gets converted into T3 which is also bound by a protein or free. Free T3 then adheres to receptor sites in the brain which trigger the signal for the body or mind to perform certain metabolic functions in the body…which ones specifically, I don’t know. I’m pretty sure it’s not the sole proprietor of the release of ATP which is required for most the mechanical processes in the body however.

Yes there are things I know today that will benefit me and my family down the road. It’s very nice of the folks who are well off and still frequent the forum and help us. Great guys and thank you

I’m with you enackers

1 Like

Oh I forgot…there is also something called reverse T3 which is molecularly an isomer of Free T3. The reverse version of Free T3 occupies receptor sites where Free T3 should be bound, but the reversed version takes its place so that Free T3 cannot occupy it. The reverse version is inert and triggers no signaling at all. So this is why we are tested for TSH along with, T4, T3, Free T4, Free T3 and reverse T3. Mostly we just get tested for TSH, T4, Free T3 and Reverse T3 since the rest can be deduced by their presence.

It’s sort of the same when testing for bioavailable Testosterone versus Total Testosterone. Total-T is bound tightly by the glycoprotein “SHBG” at around 42-44% typically (I think) and the rest is bound loosely to protein “Human Serum Albumin” (and is partially bioavailable) at about 52-54% typically (I think). What is not bound by SHBG and Albumin proteins are what show up as Free Testosterone when our labs are drawn.
If we know how much SHBG there is, and how much Free-T there is, then we can deduce what is attached to Albumin in a blood test. This is my understanding anyway. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Makes sense. I’ll be posting up my thyroid labs in two weeks. I really can’t wsit to check that off and realize I don’t have thyroid issues haha… god I hope not. But allot of folks say they feel so much better with trt and optimal thyroid… jsut don’t like idea of having to substitute so many damn hormones for the rest of my life. Genetically my family members live past 70 and 80… my grand parents all past 70… two past 90. Shit. Long life ahead… in 40 so 80 is 40 more…

It’ll work out I think. A lot of the guys on here seem pretty happy with their lives, even with just Exogenous Testosterone.

Pretty excited myself to see what my labs look like myself. Hopefully they’ll be back by Tuesday.

Maybe one of the reasons the thyroid function is important is to see if possible Hypogonadism is Primary, Secondary, or Tertiary: in other words, whether low Testosterone is cause by the Hypothalamus, Pituitary, or Gonads malfunctioning.

1 Like

Western NC here, mountains baby. I love living here, not many good T docs though, LOL

Yeah, I definitely miss the mountains brother, that and conifer trees. I lived up in the Redwoods once a few hours from the Oregon border. I was 12-13 though and didn’t really appreciate it for what it was at the time. It seems like the farther you get away from civilization the less likely you’ll hit a lot of treatment availability. There’s always some shady ass doc writing scripts on the side but god knows who finds them. Probably not the guy I’d want to have to find for a script. The more I look, the more I find these guys with all the horror stories about having Low-T and not getting diagnosed…I wonder, what is the full reason for that? I wish I knew an Endo I could sit down with and discuss it with over coffee. I’d like to get an insider’s honest opinion.

I honestly do not know. It does not appear SHBG has anything to do with the metabolization of testosterone. Besides, there is plenty bound by albumin and potentially available.

I do think SHBG is valuable to know because low SHBG guys will not only have higher free testosterone, but higher free E2. That’s why they feel better with lower dose injections, which will need to be more frequent, but it helps keep E2 steady without the larger fluctuations larger doses would bring.

Possibly even more important, low SHBG signals many serious health conditions.
Among them are sleep apnea, hypothyroidism, obesity, insulin resistance, so diabetes, cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome. It’s not good.

1 Like

How low is considered low. I hit 1300 /27.5 with 140 and 800iu HCG.

I’m normal I think. I’ve hward guys can break T levels with 80mg

Low SHBG? I would say mid teens and lower. Something else for me to research.

Ok . I’ll find my soon. I think I’m normal range.
Middle range

@highpull have you ever seen guys posting that had very high SHGB and 1 big shot a week helps bring their SHGB down?

Is that with your insurance paying part of it?

Not sure about posting, but I have seen it. Generally, TRT will lower SHBG.

Me to. I think that is why SHGB and frequency of shots works for most.

That is my cost after insurance has paid what they will.

1 Like

Disclosure - I am a pellet user.

The only legitimate study on pellet extrusion was done in the infancy of insertions, in 1999; a 20-year old study. Another study is referenced from 2013, but it is from one doctor. In his study, 4 out of 111 procedures had ONE pellet extrude.

My doctor should publish his stats. He has had ZERO extrusion in all the insertions he has done. Of course he warns his patients, NO STRENUOUS ACTIVITY or HEAVY LIFTING for one week.

It does cost more than injections. But not everyone is concerned about the increased cost for the substantial convenience. There are more negative comments on this board from guys who have NEVER used pellets, and are regurgitating what they “heard”. I have first hand experience with pellets. Ask if you would like to know more.

1 Like

Well, the comment certainly wasn’t directed towards you or pellet users in general. I’ve found positive and negative information regarding studies on different types of Testosterone administration. I am personally not a fan of pellets. I would be concerned with ending up with a doctor who doesn’t publish his ratios on extrusion and infections. A little less than 1:20 is far to high a chance for me, as someone with limited funding, to take. There are chances taken in hormonal balancing as is and that method simply does not appeal to me as an individual. Perhaps with more time as a method of continuous treatment, I would consider it. Doctors only get better at incorporating newer therapies to old ones with time and practice…this is why doctors run “Practices”. If this is the method you have chosen to take, my hats off to you for furthering the pioneering of this process. I am happy it has brought you success, it just doesn’t happen to be a method I’d consider right now. No offense sir.

1 Like