T Nation

Totally Neglecting Mirror Muscles/Front?

What would happen to you if you ONLY trained your upper back and posterior chain (ie. the opposite of the ‘mirror’ muscles most people seem to focus on)?

We all know people that do too much benching, and (if they train their legs at all) focus too much on the quads over the posterior chain end up with rounded-forward shoulders (shoulder problems) and anterior pelvic tilt (back problems). It seems like the mirror muscles can become your curse if you work them too hard.

Imagine if your routine would be like;

Upper body;

Weighted pull-ups
Weighted inverted rows
Bent-over rows
Face pulls

Lower body;

Deficit sumo deadlifts
Romanian deadlifts
Glute-ham raise
Barbell hip thrust

Can you ever get imbalanced by making your back too strong for your chest and/or your posterior chain too strong for your quads?

What posture would a guy doing the above routine end up with? What would he look like? Would he end up with any imbalance problems?

Guys like Bret Contreas have long advocated doing 4:1 pulling to pushing exercises - so this is taking it to the extreme and doing 4:0 pulling to pushing.

You might not achieve as much mass as you could possibly get, but would you have the healthiest body ever in terms of mobility and joint health?

EDIT: you probably would get big biceps from doing this routine (and biceps are a mirror muscle), but since biceps assist the upper back, that is unavoidable.

you would probably feel great. Although i would include tricep exercises as most people do bi’s over tri’s…also would you do ‘core’ in this? or is that excluded?

Right now i do a prettye xtreme amount of pulling vs pushing and mostly hams/glutes over quads because of injuries and it feels pretty excellent.

Are you talking about a routine like this indefinitely, or for a short period of time?

Here’s what would probably happen if this is all you ever did. “would you have the healthiest body ever in terms of mobility?” No. Why would you even think that? You’d be deficient in pressing mobility.

“would he end up imbalanced?” yes. he would be strong in pulling, and extremely weak in pressing/pushing.

“can you ever get imbalanced by making your back too strong?” Of course. All pull and no push, again, means a strong pull and a weak push. That is, by nature, imbalanced.

Question for you: Why would you think that neglecting particular body parts COMPLETELY would result in anything but imbalance?

All that being said, if you’re already imbalanced in being relatively strong pressing, nothing wrong with taking a decent amount of time to correct this. Everything in moderation though.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Are you talking about a routine like this indefinitely, or for a short period of time?

Here’s what would probably happen if this is all you ever did. “would you have the healthiest body ever in terms of mobility?” No. Why would you even think that? You’d be deficient in pressing mobility.

“would he end up imbalanced?” yes. he would be strong in pulling, and extremely weak in pressing/pushing.

“can you ever get imbalanced by making your back too strong?” Of course. All pull and no push, again, means a strong pull and a weak push. That is, by nature, imbalanced.

Question for you: Why would you think that neglecting particular body parts COMPLETELY would result in anything but imbalance?

All that being said, if you’re already imbalanced in being relatively strong pressing, nothing wrong with taking a decent amount of time to correct this. Everything in moderation though.[/quote]

Being overly strong in pressing compared to pulling is not a problem in an of itself.

The shoulder injuries that result from being overly strong in pressing compared to pulling (as your shoulders are pulled forwards, leading to impingement) are a problem.

Have you ever heard of someone getting shoulder injuries because their upper-back over-powers their chest, or their middle and lower traps over-powered their upper traps?

Again, being overly strong in quad-dominant moves compared to lower body pulling is not a problem in an of itself (unless you’re a powerlifter trying to get your total up).

But the anterior pelvic tilt leading to back pain and hamstring pulls associated with an under-developed posterior chain relative to the quads are a problem.

Have you ever heard of someone getting injured because their posterior chain over-powered their quads/hip flexors?

It DOES seem like muscle imbalances only work one way: and if the back side of your body is a hundred times stronger than the front, you will never experience a problem…

But can anyone prove this wrong? Have you gotten chronic injuries because your ‘back side’ was too strong?

I’ve dicked my shoulder, and I’m actually doing pretty much the exact routine you posted. I’ll do it for 6 weeks and I reckon my shoulders’ll feel good as new after that.

I doubt anyone could ever realistically have problems because their back was too strong.

Neglecting pressing is like neglecting squatting…
It’s a fundamental movement of human physiology, it should be trained if you want any sort of appreciable physique or athleticism.

It’s never a good idea to neglect anything IMO…

Just realized who this guy is, for anyone considering responding to his stupid arguments, read his thread about pistol squats and straight backs.

I’m getting out of here while I still can.

[quote]alternate wrote:

It DOES seem like muscle imbalances only work one way: and if the back side of your body is a hundred times stronger than the front, you will never experience a problem…

But can anyone prove this wrong? Have you gotten chronic injuries because your ‘back side’ was too strong?[/quote]

Its much rarer because 1) posture in our society (sitting down, using a computer, driving) promotes anterior dominance 2) the most popular exercises also promotes anterior dominance.

Doesn’t mean opposite imbalances are physically impossible or desired. If you ask a therapist what ideal posture is they don’t say “squeeze all your back muscles together as hard as you can.”

Has anyone heard of any imbalance injuries happening from having too strong an upper back and/or posterior chain?

I’m genuinely interested to know if it can happen

[quote]alternate wrote:
Has anyone heard of any imbalance injuries happening from having too strong an upper back and/or posterior chain?

I’m genuinely interested to know if it can happen[/quote]

doyouevenlift.jpeg

would be interested to see the stellar physique you have OP.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:
Has anyone heard of any imbalance injuries happening from having too strong an upper back and/or posterior chain?

I’m genuinely interested to know if it can happen[/quote]

doyouevenlift.jpeg

would be interested to see the stellar physique you have OP.[/quote]

You asked for pictures in his pistol squat thread too right? Wouldn’t hold my breath.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:
Has anyone heard of any imbalance injuries happening from having too strong an upper back and/or posterior chain?

I’m genuinely interested to know if it can happen[/quote]

doyouevenlift.jpeg

would be interested to see the stellar physique you have OP.[/quote]

You asked for pictures in his pistol squat thread too right? Wouldn’t hold my breath.[/quote]

lol didn’t know this was the same guy!

oh dear OP.

What are your lifts and what does your physique look like? why are you continuing to post pointless BS here?

A lot of posters on here seem to be quick with the ad hominem attacks.

When in this thread did I make a comment about my physique at all? How is it relevant?

I didn’t even say that I myself use the routine in the OP.

It would be interesting to hear from people who train in that way and if they experience any injuries, that is all.

Do you guys go into every thread and demand for pictures of the OP to prove that he even lifts? Don’t see how that is helpful to anyone.

[quote]alternate wrote:
Has anyone heard of any imbalance injuries happening from having too strong an upper back and/or posterior chain?

I’m genuinely interested to know if it can happen[/quote]

Yes it can happen. Any joint that has antagonistic muscles (cough all of them) can have an imbalance either way.

I’ve never heard of it happening though, and considering the bias most people put on anterior muscles even in daily use, it seems unlikely.

If you want specific cases, ask a physiologist, orthopedist, or a chiropractor. Or look through their textbooks for case studies.

/thread

[quote]alternate wrote:
A lot of posters on here seem to be quick with the ad hominem attacks.

When in this thread did I make a comment about my physique at all? How is it relevant?

I didn’t even say that I myself use the routine in the OP.

It would be interesting to hear from people who train in that way and if they experience any injuries, that is all.

Do you guys go into every thread and demand for pictures of the OP to prove that he even lifts? Don’t see how that is helpful to anyone.[/quote]

This is a BODYBUILDING forum man. Not the ONLY TRAIN THE BACK OF YOUR SCRAWNY ASS FUNCTIONAL BODY forum.

The reason people ask what you look like is this is the most inane crap going. Before you say go read another thread, you and others are posting multiple BS threads like this, clogging the place up.

[quote]alternate wrote:
It would be interesting to hear from people who train in that way and if they experience any injuries, that is all.
[/quote]

lol no one trains this way!

this is a BB forum, people train their whole body!

the fact that you need to ask what injuries are sustained this way says it all!

it is clearly retarded!

Wtf is this shitty ass thread

DO you play fucking video games using only the left or right side of your controller?

F=gfiodgdfijhgijdfgkjdjfi

[quote]zraw wrote:

F=gfiodgdfijhgijdfgkjdjfi[/quote]

X2

What’s this thread’s best case scenario OP?
What’s your endgame?

Why in the world would you care, much less expect orderly discussion about a bad idea?

You shouldn’t train like this, period.
The question pretty much ends right there.
It’s the equivalent of asking if it’s wise to not train legs. No, it’s not wise, yes it will lead to imbalances, do you really need a whole thread dedicated to discussing it further?

I think we’d all be much more interested in seriously discussing effective training methods.

Guys what will happen if I dont train mirror muscles and dont train non mirror muscles

And read a lot of psychology books while sipping on some gin soda