Total Test vs Free Test

So I got a blood test done and my total Test is 1100. My doctor told me the norm is 200-800, so obviously I’m above average. I had read on several threads in this forum that Free Test is the important stat, not total test.

So when my doc called and told me my results I asked him what my Free Test was as well, and he preceded to tell me that that is a whole nother test that has to be done…lol what?

Anyways, this question might be self explanatory but I was wondering if my Total Test level is enough to determine if I will be seeing good gains, or if I really need to find out my Free Test levels.

Thanks.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
So I got a blood test done and my total Test is 1100. My doctor told me the norm is 200-800, so obviously I’m above average. I had read on several threads in this forum that Free Test is the important stat, not total test.

So when my doc called and told me my results I asked him what my Free Test was as well, and he preceded to tell me that that is a whole nother test that has to be done…lol what?

Anyways, this question might be self explanatory but I was wondering if my Total Test level is enough to determine if I will be seeing good gains, or if I really need to find out my Free Test levels.

Thanks.[/quote]

Free test reigns supreme. Elevated total test confirms that your production mechanism is working but there can be a wide variance between ref range ratios of total and free test. In other words, your total test results can be high on the corresponding ref range the lab provides, while the free T may be marginal in it’s ref range. It is also a good idea to get E2 (estrogen) tested to see if your level is elevated. SHBG (Sexual hormone binding globulin) can also be a factor. Free T is the body’s usable form. If it is low, you will generally feel like shit.

Damnit I figured getting my test levels checked was going to include free T, what a waste of cash lol. Thanks for the answer.