Total Test: Age-Specific Ranges?

Here in Canada our tests come back age specific. For instance, I m 44 years old and my ranges on labs is 9.9 - 27.8 nmol/l OR US conversion 283 - 795

Firstly this range is very low as we all know 1000 nd/dl is “optimum”
*My last labs returned 1003 ng/dl
My Doc is hitting the panic button saying it’s too high. I’m telling him it’s perfect.

*My Free and Bio are all good

My question is this…does anyone have age specific ranges that are broken down into 20 - 30 yrs. 30 - 40 yrs, 40 - 50 yrs etc???

I want to be able to show my doc that my ranges should #1 be higher and that the ranges I am being tested under are for an old fart not a guy who wants to get back to ranges for a young man.

good question… but nope, I don’t have any age specific ranges.

good luck with your doc

I’ve seen those, thanks but I think those are just averages and not lab ranges.

I think that’s about the best “study” you’re going to find.

Most docs are going to find 1000+ way too high. I don’t personally find any problem w/it. Anecdotally, and most of this stuff is, the “ideal range” I’ve seen cited the most is ~700-800 ng/dl irrespective of age. The first doc I had said his aim was to get close to 500. Maybe it’s psychological, but I like to keep it significantly higher than that. If he feels that strongly about it as a doc - he’ll fire you if your levels are too high - my endo did after 2 different times over a 2 year period testing at ~1100 ng/dl, citing, “abuse of the testosterone” - good riddance… Dealt w/an HRT clinic after this who only care about your initial T levels and now dealing w/a Urologist. HRT clinics primary motivation is money, don’t take insurance (my experience) and cost ~110 per 10ml PLUS some other significant charges vs. insurance covered 10 ml vial at $5.

Thanks for the insights. A lot of info that I’ve read re: TRT suggest that 1000 ng/dl is the sweet spot. I get there with 100mg/wk taken eod along with 250mg hCG eod and 1 mg Arimidex/wk taken mon wed fri and Sun.

I don’t feel as good on less Test and I know that adding the the hcg recently bumped up my total Test as well. Hopefully the Doc is cool cuz I don’t want to take less Test.

*Prior to adding hCG my total Test was 950

SHBG bound T [SHBG-T] is functionally inert. SHBG levels increase with age, and TT=1000 in older men packs a smaller punch as FT is lower. Tell doc to adjust T dose to achieve higher end FT and ignore TT.

The objective of HRT is to restore youthful levels, not the levels constrained by lab stats of old men.

SHBG bound T [SHBG-T] is functionally inert. SHBG levels increase with age, and TT=1000 in older men packs a smaller punch as FT is lower. Tell doc to adjust T dose to achieve higher end FT and ignore TT.

The objective of HRT is to restore youthful levels, not the levels constrained by lab stats of old men.

Thank you KSMan…helpful as always. Very much appreciate your continued help and feedback!
*sent you a PM