T Nation

Total Reps for Hypertrophy?

I read somewhere that you should do about 30 total reps for hypertrophy… will that say I should do for example 5 exercises with 1x6 (30 total reps) rather than 5 exercises with 3x6 (90 total reps)?

You’re majoring in the minors here…

Some systems are built around always getting a certain amount of reps at a certain percentage of 1RM…

Yet MANY successful trainees’ amount of reps under workload are all over the place and vary from session to session…

CT’s recent take on ramping and autoregulation is an example, as are most bigger bodybuilders posting here.

I also have no idea why you would want to do 5 exercises for the same muscle-group, unless you were to count backthickness, backwidth and lower back as one or some such…

To answer your question (or not): It depends on what system you are referring to.

Chad Waterbury may mean 30 reps at the same weight for one slot/area of the body/movement pattern such as “vertical push” or whatever per session… Others may mean per exercise…

You’ll need to be a bit more specific as to where you got that idea from. Generally, that author/system is described in detail in the articles on here or other sites though.

This thread should be re-named, “Total Number Of Times This Thread Should Be Posted Until Someone Responds”.

lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
This thread should be re-named, “Total Number Of Times This Thread Should Be Posted Until Someone Responds”.

lol[/quote]

sorry, its just that this laggy forum

Somewhere between about 10-50 per exercise. 30 just happens to be in the middle.