Total Rep Training

That’s a great idea too flappinit. Keeping the 5 x 5 structure and then making up the reps you “owe” in a sixth set. Not bad. It’s almost like doing “makeup” sets if you didn’t quite get it in your prescribed sets.

Yes I’ve read some of Jim Wendler’s stuff too and noticed he does what I am doing in reverse. There’s merit to that as well.

I also agree with @Eye Dentist too and see his reservations about this type of system. After all, there are traditional set and rep structures for a reason.

For me, it’s about experimenting to find out what would work best. I like to test out my hypothesis for what I think will work with others who are like-minded and share a passion for strength training. I love hearing all sides, good and bad.

Thanks for the feed back.

1 Like

I have found this total rep training stuff that you speak of useful for stuff like pullups and one arm pushups, but also deadlifts at one point, as it made me focus more on good form instead of grinding.

Not really my prefered way but I aknowledge it can yield good results.

Lol yeah there might be some merit to this Wendler guy’s 531 thing. Maybe.

1 Like

He may know a few things.

I thought this video of John Meadows and a bodybuilder lady was pretty cool.

From 1:00-4:00 she does Leg Curls for the “Magic 25.” After a preparatory set to find a good weight she does a set of 10, until she starts cutting the ROM, like “technical failure.” Then a brief rest, a few reps, repeat, until she gets 15 more reps, or a total of 25. Fancy Myo Reps in action!

At 4:50 they do 20 rep squats, not to failure, with pretty light weights to build up a little fatigue. Then they use a squat machine to really push without having to worry about controlling the barbell. 30 reps in Clusters of 5. So five reps, then a brief 5 count rest, 5 more reps… until 30. Lots of reps “under duress” but no ugly grinds or sloppy execution.

After that there’s a DB pullover, chinup super set and a delt raise/overhead press/band dislocate giant set.

1 Like

I use the “as many sets as it takes” approach for heavy ass trap bar farmer carries. I pick a weight and carry it to the end of my street and back no matter how many times I have to set it down and rest. Some days I make it in two legs, some days it takes me 4. It’s my way of making sure my body gets the same workload whether my conditioning sucks that day or not. I like it, a lot, and I especially recommend it for those that like to train for mindset/mental toughness.

“I don’t care how many fuckin sets it takes me to move this weight over X distance (or for X reps), I’m hitting my number and nothin’s gonna stop me.”

This determination/perseverance when you want to quit is what gave us the greatest lower body exercise of all time, 20-rep squats.

What we’re talking about is a form of auto regulation, which many of the greatest strength coaches in the world have recommended.

Then, there’s also the fact that the strongest men on the planet, Strongman competitors, do some form of this in nearly every event. As many X as you can get in X amount of time. Break it up however you want.”

2 Likes

There was some talk about using this approach with a limit on number of sets. (Example being 25 reps in 4 sets.) If you don’t get the reps in the desired number of sets, then you “make up” the remaining reps in additional sets. You don’t increase the weight or make the exercise harder until you complete your goal of x number of reps in x number of sets.

I took that advice to heart and implemented it into my training the other day. It works great so thank you for that advice. I think it can be worked into your program to where you can use both approaches. You can do the total reps without a set limit. Once you achieve your goal with the total reps, you can then make it more challenging by introducing a set limit. For instance, if your goal is 10 total reps regardless of how many sets, you train until you achieve that goal. Then you can take the 10 total rep goal and put a stipulation on it such as getting the reps in 3 sets.

Tell me what you think of using both approaches. I think it could work pretty good.

This is what also catches a lot of people out, even experienced lifters, and I’d include myself here. Too often, you are chasing the magic programme and get sucked into following prescribed:

• Exercises
  • Exercise order
  • Cadences
  • Rest intervals
  • Sets
  • Frequency

If you need this type of structure to succeed then so be it. And it can actually be motivating, at times, to follow a set routine. Otherwise, you learn to what works for you. I’ve personally found the total rep method, as taught by Chad Waterbury, a simple but effective routine. Would I do it all the time? No, that’s what autoregulation is about too.

1 Like

@ JamesBrawn007 I am also guilty of looking for the “magic program” that doesn’t exist. I think it’s the fear of missing out on something better. I still have to remind myself that as long as what you’re doing isn’t completely stupid, the program will yield results.

I have been favoring a lose structure as of late. What I mean is that I only really track my “strength” movements in my log book and focus on improving them. They are the “meat and potatoes” if you will. After I complete my mandatory stuff, I leave the rest of the time to hit the supplemental exercises and it’s a lot more free-form. I just try to get a good pump and get my heart rate up.

I would say that beginners should stick to a more “strict” routine as they aren’t yet “attuned” to what hard training is on their body yet. It helps get them used to a proper structure.