Total N00b

Hey everybody,

So im new to the whole weight thing. I just turned 18 and got some dumbells from a couple of my friends. I already did some pushups (quite proud, just broke 100pushups in a row) and situps at home, but never any real weight training.

im a swimmer and i play soccer

So my question is… Any tips on how to use these dumbells? im not really into going to the gym and i really only want to use the dumbells to generally get some strength and muscles.

Ill post some pics later, need to find a camera!

Thnx, Q

Hi,

Read alot before you post pics. You’ve been warned. :slight_smile:

There’s heaps of info scattered around the site for routines and technique - quite a few embedded videos as well. The stickies at the top of this forum have all the info you need as a newbie. Read them and apply.

However, if you don’t even know the basics I would highly recommend getting a mate/decent trainer to show you the ropes in terms of form.

Oh and don’t post those pics - you’ll be flamed! Read the sticky in ‘Physique and Performance Photos’

And with an attitude like that, you’re going to stay a total noob.

And i guess EVERY one wants a Tanka body like Arnie or this dude.

Geez, i just want to get fit, have a NICE looking body and have some fun. I dont take all this “ah ya know, just goin’ down to the gym to pump some iron” “Just a bit of stereroids wont hurt.”

Mate, i think my attitude is fine.

You should probably figure out what your goals are and whether or not you are willing to put in the ammount of time and effort that it will undoubtedly take to get it done.

Don’t post pictures.

And Christ, if you’re not into “going to the gym”, then why the fuck are you on a bodybuilding website?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Don’t post pictures.

And Christ, if you’re not into “going to the gym”, then why the fuck are you on a bodybuilding website?

[/quote]

It seems like there are more and more people like this showing up here. That is why it needs to be stressed what this site is really about. No one should be happy about people who don’t even want to lift weights and aren’t serious about training showing up here.

Keep swimming.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Don’t post pictures.

It seems like there are more and more people like this showing up here. That is why it needs to be stressed what this site is really about. No one should be happy about people who don’t even want to lift weights and aren’t serious about training showing up here.

[/quote]

Thats the same reason I’m changing gyms.

I agree with professor X, I am a powerlifter, not a bodybuilder, but this site has some of the best info on the net. If these young guys (high school, college age)come on here they should repect those that take their training very serious, and not fill the site with stupid questions and junk.

George

[quote]bigscarymonster wrote:
Keep swimming.[/quote]

Swim around the world. As far out from land as possible. Seriously… T-Nation will be a better place.

[quote]Qu3x wrote:
And i guess EVERY one wants a Tanka body like Arnie or this dude.

Geez, i just want to get fit, have a NICE looking body and have some fun. I dont take all this “ah ya know, just goin’ down to the gym to pump some iron” “Just a bit of stereroids wont hurt.”

Mate, i think my attitude is fine. [/quote]

It has nothing to do with that. Just the approach you have seems lax and looks like a joke. “I don’t like going to the gym. I just want to have some fun!!”…what the fuck do you think weightlifting is? Minigolf? You should be putting 100% into everything you do, even if it’s at the bottom of your priorities.

Starting out and already limiting yourself with a retarded attitude like that is basically like stepping up the the plate with 3 strikes already. Clearly you’re one of those guys who are already content with their appearance and just want to lift some weights so they can bullshit around and tell people “Yeah I workout”. Stfu.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Don’t post pictures.
[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The time to post pictures is when you have a set of before and after pictures that show definite results. If your before and after pictures don’t look like two different people then wait until they do.

Lots of guys that lift weights don’t like going to a gym. It’s not like gyms have a monopoly on heavy stuff you can lift. I lift in my basement, and so I don’t have to worry about re-racking my weights, I can use all of the chalk I want, and I can play whatever music I feel like listening too without having to put ear-damaging buds in my ears. I never have to “work in” with someone, and I can even use my power rack for curls without being a tool.

I would encourage our newbie friend to get an Oly set so he can do deadlifts, but I started out with just a dumbbell set, and that’s far better than nothing.

[quote]jdearl wrote:

Lots of guys that lift weights don’t like going to a gym. It’s not like gyms have a monopoly on heavy stuff you can lift. I lift in my basement, and so I don’t have to worry about re-racking my weights, I can use all of the chalk I want, and I can play whatever music I feel like listening too without having to put ear-damaging buds in my ears. I never have to “work in” with someone, and I can even use my power rack for curls without being a tool.[/quote]

That’s all well and good, however, if you took, “I love working out and just want to workout really really hard at home instead of the gym” from his post, may I suggest Lens Crafters or possibly private lessons from Stevie Wonder?

[quote]Qu3x wrote:

Mate, i think my attitude is fine. [/quote]

I agree with Velz. It’s not that you have a shitty attitude in general. It’s that you have a shitty attitude towards building muscle. Your goals do not match up well with the people on this site.

[quote]jdearl wrote:

Lots of guys that lift weights don’t like going to a gym. It’s not like gyms have a monopoly on heavy stuff you can lift. I lift in my basement, and so I don’t have to worry about re-racking my weights, I can use all of the chalk I want, and I can play whatever music I feel like listening too without having to put ear-damaging buds in my ears. I never have to “work in” with someone, and I can even use my power rack for curls without being a tool.

I would encourage our newbie friend to get an Oly set so he can do deadlifts, but I started out with just a dumbbell set, and that’s far better than nothing.[/quote]

I work out at home most of the time, and I think it’s a good thing also.

However, that’s not what his post meant in context. It was more like, “I’m not going to take this too seriously”. Which ain’t really the way you get anywhere.

Step 1 - Leave this site
Step 2 - Go to Bodybuilding.com and look up exercises with DBs.
Step 3 - Pick exercises
Step 4 - Have FUN!!! WOOOO!

Optional - Take a pic or two of yourself “having fun” with your db’s and post them here to everyone’s delight.

Sounds good! :wink: Thnx