Total Body Workouts & Work Capacity

When using total body workouts I find myself fatigued in my later sets. I start off with squats or deadlifts because my legs need the most growth, and I usually don’t hit the upper body lifts as hard later in training.

I’m more used to splits. If I stick to total body can I expect my work capacity to increase to keep up?

If you want more training history I’ll give it. Basically I have been training for a while although not intelligently or consistently the whole time. I am new in the sense that I have a lot of natural potential to realize.

Any input is helpful.

Yes, of course.
It will take you a while at first, and you will perhaps dread it, but you’ll get used to it.
I wouldn’t place my deadlift or squat before everything else though, because they will wear you out.

Usually I put them after my a heavy press and a heavy row. It leaves enough energy after the squats or deads to do arms, shoulders or whatever.

Your body adapts, b ut your plan is goods, always do my 3 big lifts first.

Surge really helps with recovery and i seem to have a better 2nd and 3rd work out if i use it. Ive been doing Chad Waterbury’s Total body workout…but by week 3 it kicked my butt, but i am too much of a beginner to be trying that program i think.

[quote]Big Dan wrote:
When using total body workouts I find myself fatigued in my later sets. I start off with squats or deadlifts because my legs need the most growth, and I usually don’t hit the upper body lifts as hard later in training.

I’m more used to splits. If I stick to total body can I expect my work capacity to increase to keep up?

If you want more training history I’ll give it. Basically I have been training for a while although not intelligently or consistently the whole time. I am new in the sense that I have a lot of natural potential to realize.

Any input is helpful.[/quote]

Many trainers advocate whole body workouts but with either a lower or upper body emphasis. That means putting your lifts to be emphasized first – start with squats one workout and shift to an upper body lift, e.g. presses, the next. By rotating which lifts you do at the start, you are emphasizing either upper or lower body each workout. That way you are not always doing your bench or chins after you are worn out from squats and deadlifts. I also like to have one of the two, i.e. quad or hip dominant work, be unilateral each workout. Short advice – do not start always with the squats and deadlifts. Rotate upper and lower lifts to be done first.

it will take a few weeks but youll get used to it, im doing 8 exersizes per day for my full body and im able to hit them all with intensity

I’m a new guy too, but I got good results off a similar program. I always squatted or deadlifted last because they took so much out of me. When I get done squatting or deadlifting, that’s it. I’m done. So if I do them last, I get my whole routine in plus I’m thoroughly exhausted at the end. I added 100 pounds to my squat and about 130 to my dead in 5 months and was still gaining when I got sick. So it worked for me anyway.