T Nation

Total Body Workout

I am going to start my anti fat-slob get in shape workout and diet on Sunday. You can check pictures on Mertdawg Cutting. I am coming off a long focus of primarily heavy doubles and triples in the squat and bench (several year focus as well as just completing a six week cycle using heavy doubled over bands) I finished with PRs in all three lifts: Squat: 465, Bench: 360, Deadlift: 445, Total: 1260 all raw and strict and up from PRS of 445, 345, 435, 1225 and also 7 months after ACL replacement surgery.

The consensus was that I need to drop 20 pounds over this 12 week program by altering my diet and adding energy system work, and that my pecs and quads were very strong points.

This is the workout that I want to use for 2-3 weeks and I “test drove” today. Any suggestions on the workout? The focus is total back, arms, and upper pecs, and to avoid specific power lifts, and use somewhat higher reps and stricter form to maintain/build muscle as well as to do some abdominal work to supplement energy system work and diet. I plan to add sets, reps and weight to this on different workout days.

Tri Set 2 x 10 each:
45 degree leaning row 115 pounds
30 degree incline dumbell press 70s
1-leg squat Bodyweight

Tri Set 2 sets each:
Wide negative only pullup: 20 seconds
1-arm overhead press: 45 x 10/10
15 deg incline leg raise: 2 x 10

Tri Set 2 sets each:
Barbell curl: 65 x 10
Dip: Bodyweight x 10
Snatch grip deadlift: 185 x 10

Total time: 45 minutes

Hard! I haven’t done more than 5-6 reps of anything in a long time, but I want to get up to 3 x 20 each with about 25% more weight than I’m using in 2-3 weeks and then change things around. I think I will adapt fast. Its funny how I could power deadlift 335 x 9, but 2 x 10 at 185 on snatch deads was about an 8 out of 10 on the difficulty scale!

Why’d you use doubled over bands, if you don’t use gear?

[quote]elars21 wrote:
Why’d you use doubled over bands, if you don’t use gear?[/quote]

Well, #1 they worked. 6 weeks ago I matched an all time PR bench of 345, and coming back from surgery just got back to squatting to parallel with 185. I I just got 360, and 465.

#2 in theory: “doubled bands are intensly plyometric and build great reversal strength” (Louie Simmons). Non-double looped bands work primarily the lockout because there is little tension at the bottom, but with doubled bands I had as much as 300 pounds worth of band tension at the BOTTOM of the bench with some band combinations.

Oh, and 1 rep only on the negative chins. Here, I feel that I can work up to at least 3 x 10 full range concentrics in 3 weeks.

Nice lifts.
Look at doing an aau raw meet after you lose the weight and then doing nationals–you should do very well in the 198s, especially if you can bring up your dead a little.

Looks good man.

I will say after just recently adding in high reps myself on one day a week after a LONG absense of them in my w/o’s, you shoyuld expect a HUGE jump from week to week. A GOOD thing. I would seemingly every week for the last 6 not only move up in load at the same reps but the new load was easier than the prior lighter load of the week before.

In short I will be adding such a trainingn cycle in a couple times a year. I may not like them as much but cant deny there worth.

I agree great #'s man and keep up the work and dedication.

Ltr,

Phill

Copping an attitude, good idea I was just curious/ wanting to help. 300 pounds at the bottom, right. There would be way too much band tension at the top. You wouldn’t be able to go even half way up. There’s no need to use so much band tension at this stage. What about choking the bands? LOL.

[quote]elars21 wrote:
Copping an attitude, good idea I was just curious/ wanting to help. 300 pounds at the bottom, right. There would be way too much band tension at the top. You wouldn’t be able to go even half way up. There’s no need to use so much band tension at this stage. What about choking the bands? LOL. [/quote]

I don’t know what you mean by copping an attitude. Doubled bands just seemed to make a lot more sense for raw lifting because it forces you to be powerful right off the chest. I honestly do not know the exact band tension of different band combos, so I’ll give you the combos that I used during the 6 week cycle that got me to 360. I’m looking up my records right now:

8 doubled minis (Iron Woody’s #1s) 4 on each side + 135 pounds bar weight for 3 reps.

12 doubled #1s minis (6 per side) + 65 for 2 reps

10 doubled minis (#1) 5 per side + 125 for 1 rep

2 double #3s + 4 double #1s (2 per side) +125 for 1 rep

2 double #3s +220 for 1 rep

2 double #4s (medium) + 125 for 1 rep

2 double #4s + 2 double #2s + 85 for 1 rep.

Here on the last one, I guesstimate that the tension is about 270 at the bottom and 390 at the top + the 85 pounds of bar weight.

I KNOW that the doubled #4s lifted 2 135 pound dumbells off the ground in the rack position when I first tried to attach them which is why I had to clamp down my rack.
These combos are all with bands doubled 1 inch off the ground.

You may want to go to the bottom of the Band training for big gains article and read some of the discussion there.

The Iron Woody’s #1=minis, #2=monster mini, #3=small, #4=medium, #5=large if your using jumpstretch.

By the way, Jim Parrish is using doubled #5s and #3s + oh around 100 bar weight and that’s right around 460 at the bottom and 600 (again estimating based on a couple of sources)at the top in bands alone and his max is currently 530 (All done with shirt)