T Nation

Total Body Workout

can anyone help me set up a workout routine based on the article

ive read it several times and im unsure where to start thanks in advance (:

I truly do not like being rude, nor do I want to. Actually, I am not going to.

But dude, that article says it all right there. I read that article years ago.

Isn’t this easy:
-Pick one basic exercise for the shoulder girdle, posterior chain, quads, and upper back.
-Pick two less demanding exercises for the delts, calves, abs, or arms.

• Come up with three of these pairings for three weekly workouts.

Is that hard?

why not try something like this-day one deadlifts+chin ups + incline press -day 2 squats + one arm standing military presses or variaton +chin ups or pull ups-day 3 front squats or sumo squats + bench press along with dips. this routine has worked well for me.

good growth with my quads and back esp. back. I really go after the deadlifts. for me I usually do spints on off days but if I’m burned out I take a day or two off and feel good about it. lots of good info on this site-have fun mixing and matching and leave some sweat on the floor.
good luck

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I truly do not like being rude, nor do I want to. Actually, I am not going to.

But dude, that article says it all right there. I read that article years ago.

Isn’t this easy:
-Pick one basic exercise for the shoulder girdle, posterior chain, quads, and upper back.
-Pick two less demanding exercises for the delts, calves, abs, or arms.

• Come up with three of these pairings for three weekly workouts.

Is that hard?[/quote]

agreed. chad lays it out pretty easy. if you have to think deeply about it, then somethings wrong.

i think i’m going to try this. i’ve never tried a full body routine and it might do my body good to hit it with something completely different from what’s it’s been getting for years.

a few things i’m unsure about. if anyone has tried this and has first hand knowledge about it, maybe you can clear a few things up.

he suggests 6 exercises total. but with only 6, something gets left out:

1 - chest
2 - back
3 - quads
4 - delts
5 - tris
6 - bis

calves are left in this particular example. i guess you can prioritzie according to your specific weak points but i personally don’t want to leave anything out. thoughts?

and at least 48 hrs rest between workouts. so i assume mon-thurs-sun-wed-sat is a good starting point?

any other helpful insights would be most appreciated.

[quote]1morerep wrote:
i think i’m going to try this. i’ve never tried a full body routine and it might do my body good to hit it with something completely different from what’s it’s been getting for years.

a few things i’m unsure about. if anyone has tried this and has first hand knowledge about it, maybe you can clear a few things up.

1 - chest
2 - back
3 - quads
4 - delts
5 - tris
6 - bis

calves are left in this particular example. i guess you can prioritzie according to your specific weak points but i personally don’t want to leave anything out. thoughts?

and at least 48 hrs rest between workouts. so i assume mon-thurs-sun-wed-sat is a good starting point?

any other helpful insights would be most appreciated.[/quote]

I did it and got great results. The key is the 4 compounds. You hit everything with those. You use the 2 isolations to, say, hit bis, tris, calves, traps, etc. as you want. I usually alternated with a bi/tris one workout with calves/traps the other for my isos and just alternated them. You get arms every time because of the compounds (chins, rows, presses, etc.) anyways, so you end up with more arm volume every other workout. Not bad.

I really believe that for, say, an 8 week period, this kind of program can add some serious muscle mass, esp. if you have never done it. I know you may think you need to hit everything specifically, but trust me if you pick a good mix of compounds you won’t be lacking in anything.

Be sure to eat a shit load. I was never hungrier than when I did this program. You really get up in some higher rep ranges too towards the end. I actually added muscle and was leaner at the end.

I dun understand? How doos this mak my bicepts bigger?

Can u explan?

[quote]1morerep wrote:

1 - chest
2 - back
3 - quads
4 - delts
5 - tris
6 - bis

any other helpful insights would be most appreciated.[/quote]

I dont think you have to leave anything out if you use different exercises each day of the week. For example one day your back exercise is the chin-up, so this day you dont do biceps exercise and do a calf exercise, or you dont do shoulders if your chest exercise is incline bench… i like to do something like this when training the full body.

In the discussion of the article Waterbury gives an example:

ADDENDUM #2 (Sample Workout)

When I wrote this article I nixed the idea of giving a sample program because I wanted trainees to learn the myriad of ways a program can be outlined with regard to exercise selection. But at this point, I think a sample routine is mandated to help clarify the program. Here goes.

Week 1, Day 1:
Sets: 3
Reps: 5
Flat BB Bench Press
Seated Cable Rows
High-bar Back Squats
Sumo-style deadlifts
DB Hammer Curls
Standing Calf Raises

Week 1, Day 3:
Reps: 8
Incline DB Bench Press
DB Upright Rows
Front Squats
Good Mornings
BB Bicep Curls
Dips

Week 1, Day 5:
Sets: 2
Reps: 15
Decline BB Bench Press
Chin-ups
Step-Ups
Traditional style deadlifts
Seated Calf Raises
BB Lying Tricep Extensions

Week 2: Same as Week 1 with 1.25-2.5% more weight and A1/A2 pairings. For example, Week 2, Day 1 will look like:

A1 Flat BB Bench Press
A2 Seated Cable Rows
B1 High-bar Back Squats
B2 Sumo-style deadlifts
C1 DB Hammer Curls
C2 Standing Calf Raises

The following week:

Week 3, Day 1:
Sets: 4
Sumo-style deadlifts
SS grip pull-ups
Incline DB Bench Press
Preacher Curls
Front Squats
Seated Calf Raises

Week 3, Day 3:
Reps: 8
High-bar BB Back Squats
Seated Cable Rows
Glute-Ham Raise
Military Press
DB Curls
Lying DB Tricep Extension

Week 3, Day 5:
Reps: 15
Lunges
DB Flat Bench Press
Good Mornings
BB Bicep Curls
Dips
Standing Calf Raises

Week 4: Same as Week 3 with 1.25-2.5% more weight and A1/A2 pairings. For example, Week 4, Day 1 will look like:

A1 Sumo-style deadlifts
A2 SS grip pull-ups
B1 Incline DB Bench Press
B2 Preacher Curls
C1 Front Squats
C2 Seated Calf Raises

This should give everyone a good idea of how to plan the TBT program. You’ll notice that certain muscle groups (calves) only receive direct stimulation 2x/week with the above sample program. This is not necessary or mandated. For someone with great calves, you don’t have to perform any direct calf work. For someone with poor calves, all three sessions should consist of one calf movement. Obviously, the same goes for other underdeveloped, or overdeveloped, muscle groups. In other words, the TBT program is outstanding since you can cater it to your own needs/weaknesses.

Nice thread

thanks for the input guys. i’ll just have to fine tune things as i go along. had my first workout today. it was nice to be done in less than an hour. and man 60 seconds never felt so brief!

so i guess i should keep all the exercises the same for the week and just increase the weight? then switch them up and the order for week 2, 3 and so on?

I am doing Rippetoe’s A/B program, 3x weekly. I want to work up to twice a day, 3x weekly workouts (I’m a long ways off, but it’s a goal) to see how I respond physiologically.

I’ve been doing Tim Henriques’s Small Calf Solution for 2 weeks now (on every lifting day, at the end of my sessions) and already notice a difference. I have to talk to God about the weather on the last few reps.

[quote]1morerep wrote:
thanks for the input guys. i’ll just have to fine tune things as i go along. had my first workout today. it was nice to be done in less than an hour. and man 60 seconds never felt so brief!

so i guess i should keep all the exercises the same for the week and just increase the weight? then switch them up and the order for week 2, 3 and so on? [/quote]

I think you can do that how you want, but I think having an A, B and C grouping for the compounds is a good idea. In other words, you always do the same compounds on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. That way, when you are increasing weight, sets, reps, etc. you are doing it for the same movement you did before.

The isos are really a grab bag and allow you to do what you want whenever you want so I didn’t necessarily keep those the same throughout.

Also, don’t feel bad moving a Friday workout to Saturday or throwing in an extra rest day here and there. After doing it, the 48-hour thing is a minimum, and you are better off having an extra day of rest than pushing it.