T Nation

Total Body Routine Critique

I’m sure you saw it coming, in light of the most recent article- a critique my total body routine. I’ve been on a push/pull/legs routine for the last 12 weeks or so, and I’m going to give it another couple weeks, take a week off, and then try a total body routine.

Current Stats:
Height: 6’ 2"
Weight: 153 lbs.
Goal: Gain as much muscle as possible with as little fat as possible

Planned routine: (sets x reps)
(Also, I plan to alternate BB bench and DB bench)
Monday-Workout 1
Squat: 3x10
Flat Bench 4x6
Bent Over Row 4x6
Military Press 4x6
Pull-Up 4x6
BB/DB curl 4x6
OFF
Wednesday-Workout 2
Deadlift: 3x10
Incline Bench 4x6
(some sort of back execrcise? help?)
(Some other shoulder exercise?)
Chin-Up 4x6
Tricep Pressdown 4x6
OFF
Friday - Workout 1
OFF
Off
Monday - workout 2
etc
etc

Obiously I’m somewhat at a loss for some additional exercises, like the back and shoulder exercises in my workout 2.

If you could give your opinions and general suggestions, as well as answer a question or two I have, it would be greatly appreciated
First, that isn’t too much volume per week, is it? I’ve been doing the push/pull/legs routine for the past 12 weeks, like I said, and I’m used to working a muscle group once per week, and I want to make sure I don’t wipe myself out with a total body routine.

Thanks.

My opinion too much in one day

you have this

Id do this
Monday-Workout 1
Squat: 3x10
Flat Bench 4x6
Bent Over Row 4x6
Abs (something)
then maybe some smaller isolation stuff one or two to hit spots not hit

base each day on one BIG pull, push, and legs, tack on an ab/core work and and assistance one or two if needed. do that three days a week and bingo you have a hell of a plan

Phill

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of one big compound movement for push, pull, and legs. That makes a lot of sense. And thank you for confirming that it was a little too much to be doing 3x a week. I’m going to read a lot more about various total body programs before I start this in a couple weeks do make sure it’s as effective as possible.

Any other responses are welcome.

[quote]hobscrk777 wrote:

base each day on one BIG pull, push, and legs, tack on an ab/core work and and assistance one or two if needed. do that three days a week and bingo you have a hell of a plan

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of one big compound movement for push, pull, and legs. That makes a lot of sense. And thank you for confirming that it was a little too much to be doing 3x a week. I’m going to read a lot more about various total body programs before I start this in a couple weeks do make sure it’s as effective as possible.

Any other responses are welcome.[/quote]

Not a prob when ion doubt keep it simple and effective you can always add a thing or two if you have the extar energy in you on any given day but give those basic movements every damn thing you have first.

Come back with any further ?'s were here to help. or give our opinions at the least,

Phill

Look at Waterbury’s total body training

Its somewhat similier to what your doing but you don’t have to guess if its worth a damn or not.

I agree it is a bit much and should be trimmed down. Also I would very the rep ranges from day to day… you will be able to progress for a much longer time, the workouts won’t be as boring, and you will be able to stimulate different muscle fibers each workout.

That pendulum training article recently released seems like a good way to vary rep ranges depending on you goals on a weekly basis. It could be used well with a TBT program I trust.

Great suggestions above and here is my 2 cents.

Instead of repeating a workout per week you could add a 3rd workout and throw the overhead presses in there. Also I would add a lunge type leg movement for that 3rd day as I would not sub out for squats or deads.

Workout 3 - sample
Bulgarian split squats or lunges or step ups…etc
overhead press or dips
cleans or high pulls
Ab work for lack of a better work…I hate the word core work just as much…

workout 1 would look like what someoen else had detailed for you
squat
bench
rows

workout 2
deadlift
incline bench
pullups

I’d throw in a different type of “ab” exercise for each day. 1 day would be a anterior stability day (i.e reverse crunch, hanging leg raise…etc), 1 day would be a rotational day (i.e. woodchop or russian twist) and one day would be plank/side plank

[quote]Phill wrote:

Phill [/quote]

Gold.

Just to add, rotate the set/rep schemes. I like Waterbury’s suggestion.

Mon - 8 x 3
Wed - 3 x 12
Fri - 4 x 6

Just scrap the arm work and you’ll be fine

Thanks for all the suggestions. There’s just one last thing I’m trying to get my head around; maybe someone can explain it to me. In a split routine (which I’m doing now - push/pull/legs) each body part is hit about once per week with a higher volume per single session.

But with this Total Body plan, I’m certainly working more compound movements each session, but the way it shuffles the exercises around would have me doing less volume per week than I’m currently doing. Is this optimal?

Typically a full body program will have weekly volume very close to what a split would have. For example, if you did 12 sets for legs in a split routine, you would typically be 4 sets per day, 3 days per week in a total body routine.

That being said, you are tall and skinny. No exercise routine is going to change that. You need to put about 2/3 of your thinking into your diet and 1/3 into your routine. You have to eat big to get big. Combine that with the BIG lifts and you can’t help but get bigger.