Toronto Police Comments Inspires Slut Walk

He says women should avoid walking at night dressed like sluts to avoid getting raped. I think thats a good piece of advice. However it goes against two pc sacred cows:

1. The victim is never to blame for rape
  2. Rape is not about sex, no way, it’s always about power.

So next time I stick my hand in a hornets nest, when I am stung, remember, its not my fault!

This guy provides a good commentary on it:

This is what message I got from the OP:

Oh those poor rapists that get tempted to rape every woman dressed sexy, it cant be theire fault because
the woman tempted them. Its the womans fault, but them in jail instead or stone them like they doe
in the most reactionary places in the middle-east.

serious dude this is dumb… and ps. On this forum PC = reactionaryism. So you are spouting whats
PC in this microcosmos.

[quote]florelius wrote:

Oh those poor rapists that get tempted to rape every woman dressed sexy, it cant be theire fault because
the woman tempted them. Its the womans fault, but them in jail instead or stone them like they doe

serious dude this is dumb… and ps. On this forum PC = reactionaryism. So you are spouting whats
PC in this microcosmos.[/quote]

When did he say it was the women’s fault?

I guess we should also walk alone in dark alleys in Chicago, right? I mean after all, precautions be damned, right man?

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

I guess we should also walk alone in dark alleys in Chicago, right? I mean after all, precautions be damned, right man? [/quote]

Yes, I never said it was the woman’s fault. I live in Detroit. So if I leave $1000 on the front seat of my car, in plain site, and come out in the morning and my window is smashed out and the money gone, dont I share some responsibility?

Thats not excusing the thief, because he shouldn’t be stealing, but on the other hand, I should’ve used common sense.

And if rape is always about power, why isn’t there an epidemic of bodybuilders, powerlifters, and MMA fighters being gang raped?

according to this wikipedia article, most rape happens at home and the rapist is often drunk, the rapee is
rarely drunk. If this statistics are true, then alcohol consumption and doemstic enviroment are more important
than how the victim dresses.

And yes by giving the victim a part of the blame, diminishes the fault of the rapist.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

When he drew the following analogy: “So next time I stick my hand in a hornets nest, when I am stung, remember, its not my fault!”

If you get stung after putting your hand in a hornet’s nest, it’s entirely your fault. You are a careless imbecile and the hornets are both blameless and to a certain extent justified in their action. The analogy implies that the woman was the careless imbecile and that, more importantly, the rapist is both blameless and to a certain extent justified in his action.

Don’t get me wrong, I think its dangerous for women to walk around alone at night in urban areas. But analogies like the one the OP made are absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe that wasnt a good analogy, but what about the one of me leaving money in plain site? But dressing revealing and getting drunk at a party full of strange men, who are also drinking, isn’t necessarily a very good idea if you want to avoid being raped.

analogys are just retorics and arent 100% relevant to the topic, the best example to use would be a woman
dressing as a slut and then getting raped, then we can argue if she is to blame or not. I dont think so because:

1. its not the most commmon reason for rape.

2. the reasons probably lies with the rapist and it is probably something off about him/her being a rapist.

3. To find a solution we must find out why people are able to commit rape, I dont know why, but we must
    ask us why, could it be psycological, genetical, cultural etc. There is probably a study on rapists, but I
    dont know about a specific one.

4. Therefor blaming the woman is both sexist and it is a way of directing the focus away from where
    the source of the problem is.

[quote]florelius wrote:
analogys are just retorics and arent 100% relevant to the topic, the best example to use would be a woman
dressing as a slut and then getting raped, then we can argue if she is to blame or not. I dont think so because:

2. the reasons probably lies with the rapist and it is probably something off about him/her being a rapist.

3. To find a solution we must find out why people are able to commit rape, I dont know why, but we must
    ask us why, could it be psycological, genetical, cultural etc. There is probably a study on rapists, but I

4. Therefor blaming the woman is both sexist and it is a way of directing the focus away from where
    [/quote]

Agreed. Women dressing provocatively is not a danger to society or to others. Men raping women is the danger.

There is no justification for rape, i.e. there is no situation in which rape can be considered a reasonable response to a provocation. To say that revealing clothing is partially to blame for the rape is to say that the rape was at least partially justified. This is obviously an unacceptable assertion.

That said, women should still be careful.

[quote]florelius wrote:

1. Therefor blaming the woman is both sexist and it is a way of directing the focus away from where
    [/quote]

I agree , I think the women get raped because they have placed them selves in a dangerous situation, There mode of dress is irrelevant . Sometimes placing your self in danger can not be avoided.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

Agreed. Women dressing provocatively is not a danger to society or to others. Men raping women is the danger.

There is no justification for rape, i.e. there is no situation in which rape can be considered a reasonable response to a provocation. To say that revealing clothing is partially to blame for the rape is to say that the rape was at least partially justified. This is obviously an unacceptable assertion.

That said, women should still be careful.[/quote]

good post smh23.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

1. Therefor blaming the woman is both sexist and it is a way of directing the focus away from where
    [/quote]

I agree , I think the women get raped because they have placed them selves in a dangerous situation, There mode of dress is irrelevant . Sometimes placing your self in danger can not be avoided. [/quote]

yes everybody can find themself being at the wrong place at the wrong time regardless of clothing.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

When he drew the following analogy: “So next time I stick my hand in a hornets nest, when I am stung, remember, its not my fault!”

If you get stung after putting your hand in a hornet’s nest, it’s entirely your fault. You are a careless imbecile and the hornets are both blameless and to a certain extent justified in their action. The analogy implies that the woman was the careless imbecile and that, more importantly, the rapist is both blameless and to a certain extent justified in his action.

Don’t get me wrong, I think its dangerous for women to walk around alone at night in urban areas. But analogies like the one the OP made are absolutely ridiculous.
[/quote]

I should’ve clarified…not clip11, the police constable making the comments. I never claimed that the MAIN reason women get raped, statistically, is because of how they dress. But if 5% do, and they can reduce the chance of that happening simply through a slight change in dress…is it not harsh to call the cop sexist for his words? Let’s try to deal with reality here, not a pretend make-believe ideal world. The world we live in is fucked up. We must live accordingly, or die (or in this case, maybe get raped? Mostly joking).

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

I agree , I think the women get raped because they have placed them selves in a dangerous situation, There mode of dress is irrelevant . Sometimes placing your self in danger can not be avoided. [/quote]

yes everybody can find themself being at the wrong place at the wrong time regardless of clothing. [/quote]

But what about when clothing IS part of the equation?

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I should’ve clarified…not clip11, the police constable making the comments. I never claimed that the MAIN reason women get raped, statistically, is because of how they dress. But if 5% do, and they can reduce the chance of that happening simply through a slight change in dress…is it not harsh to call the cop sexist for his words? Let’s try to deal with reality here, not a pretend make-believe ideal world. The world we live in is fucked up. We must live accordingly, or die (or in this case, maybe get raped? Mostly joking). [/quote]

Ah my mistake, I took it to mean that it was the OP’s comment you were referring to.

I see your point and I think women should definitely take safety into consideration, especially in terms of not being in the back alley/unlit field/empty subway stop at night.

In the end, though I agree that it’s not sexist to recommend that women take precautions, rape is fully and unequivocally the fault of the rapist.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

yes everybody can find themself being at the wrong place at the wrong time regardless of clothing. [/quote]

But what about when clothing IS part of the equation?[/quote]

Then it is to late, we dont know when shits happen and it is impossible for a person to make precations for everything. Its a funny thing with this forum and that is that when it is about females, then the urge to blame is alot stronger, especially when it comes to this subject and abortion. If it is so important that people should have the freedom to have guns, own large % of the resources without thinking about the consequences, then females should have the freedom to dress as they like and make decisions about theire own body.

I guess if rape of men( outside of prison ) where more common, the people here would scream about more police in the streets, not screaming about how they themself are to blame for it, because they how they dress.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[/quote]

But what about when clothing IS part of the equation?[/quote]

I would think it a very small part of the equation. I would think the biggest issues would be placing your self in a location that makes you vulnerable or consuming drugs and leaving yourself ,not in your right mind

If a woman was not vulnerable the rape could never happen.

You know, I wasn’t trying to blame the woman, but she does have a great deal of responsibility towards her own safety. Getting drunk and dressing slutty, leading men on and being very flirtatious all the time may get you in trouble.

I was watching tv and saw the story of this multi millionaire who liked to carry large sums of cash around. Well, eventually, he was robbed and murdered. He was carrying $500,000 in cash in his car. Now we can say, it was his money and he had a right to carry it around. We can also say he didn’t deserved to be murdered and robbed for carrying money that belonged to him.

And while both of those statements would be true, it doesn’t change the very real fact that carrying around a half million dollars in cash is going to cause you to get seriously hurt. You’ll be a prime target for murder and robbery. It’s not a good thing to do if you’re trying to avoid murder and robbery.

And so it is with rape. Certain behaviors may invite, or even incite rape. A politically correct ideaology doesn’t change human nature. Some may say a woman should be able to walk down the street, in a bad neighborhood, naked, w/o having to worry about rape. Unfortunately, in the real world, it aint like that.

sorry for the late interjection.

Can someone please inspire a slut parade in my town???

Just playin’