Torn Triceps

just tore my right tricep today doing skull crushers the weight wasn’t anything I havent done in the past but the warm up to it sucked ass!!!
ever have a dumbshit move well this was mine!!!
good god I started to sweat profusly and felt like I would pass out had to sit in front of a fan for 30 min before I left…

I hate feeling like a wuss!!
now I am iceing it down for 45 min and useing a heating pad for 45 min. is this the right thing for it? any one have a other ideas?
thanks ahead of time.

Same thing happened to my dad when he was using 175 on the skull crushers. He stopped doing skull crushers and overhead tricep extensions and he’s a lot better now.

Just take it easy on the triceps for 6 months, trust me. Don’t try and see if they got better by doing sullcrushers again because you might mess your tricep up even worse.

it depends on how serious of a tear it is obviously, if it’s a full length tear i hear you might require intervention with a knife?

Run, don’t walk, to your doctor.

I tore a bicep last year, and a pec last week. Recovering from surgery as we speak.

You can’t know the extent of the damage without having it examined. A complete tendon tear will not heal. Ever. Muscles don’t just spontaneously reattach. The nature of this injury is that the sooner it is treated the better the outcome. And I mean days, not weeks. You risk permanent loss of strength, a-symmetry of the muscles (purely aesthetic concern) and loss of function if you do nothing. And if you wait, more painful and lengthy recovery, and perhaps the need to harvest from other parts of your body to make tendon repairs.

Good luck.

[quote]bino wrote:
Run, don’t walk, to your doctor.

I tore a bicep last year, and a pec last week. Recovering from surgery as we speak.

You can’t know the extent of the damage without having it examined. A complete tendon tear will not heal. Ever. Muscles don’t just spontaneously reattach. The nature of this injury is that the sooner it is treated the better the outcome. And I mean days, not weeks. You risk permanent loss of strength, a-symmetry of the muscles (purely aesthetic concern) and loss of function if you do nothing. And if you wait, more painful and lengthy recovery, and perhaps the need to harvest from other parts of your body to make tendon repairs.

Good luck.[/quote]

I also had a distal rupture of my bicep tendon 4 years ago…as brino suggested you only have ‘hours’ to have it repaired otherwise you are SOL.

brino, how was your recovery from your bicep? Mine is pretty well 90%…minus a huge scar…more of a mental issue now than strength…no more heavy curls thats for sure.
a

who the hell wouldnt go straight to a doctor if you tore a muscle…holy crap

[quote]scotty144 wrote:

brino, how was your recovery from your bicep? Mine is pretty well 90%…minus a huge scar…more of a mental issue now than strength…no more heavy curls thats for sure.
a[/quote]

It has only been 9 months since the injury. What hurt most was my wrist and forearm after the surgery. A month after the surgery I could barely lift the weight of my arm. Within 6 months I was back to previous strength. Curls don’t bother it all, but other heavy exercises, like chins and rows, will leave if feeling a “achy” for a day or so. I was hoping that would go away with time. You continue to heal for quite a long time. Tendons take for-freaking-ever.

Aesthetically, there is now a three finger gap between the belly of the muscle and the crook of the elbow when flexed, as opposed to a previous two finger gap. Plus when not flexed, it has no tonus at all. It just goes completely lax and sinks into my arm. I guess I’ll never have pumped up guns again… I’ll just make sure my other arm is directed at the honies. My pec tear is on the same side as the bicep tear. All the more reason to lead with the other side. j/k

I also lost some ROM. Oddly enough, I didn’t lose any extension of the elbow, which is what you’d expect since the muscle is stretched when reattached, but, again counter to what you’d expect, I lost a few degrees of flexion. Guess there goes my pro olympic lifting career too–not that I had one, but; you know.

All in all, it’s not too bad. Recovery kind of sucks. And be a liar if I denied a psych component to it. Once you’ve been seriously injured, there will probably always be a fear aspect, but I for one will not let it stop me. It’s natural to feel fear, no dishonor there. Only dishonor in letting your fears control you.

That said, I got the pec tear while barbell bench pressing; and I’m as certain as one can be at this point that I will never do that exercise again. Here’s why though: that movement never felt right to me. I’ve been lifting 15 years, and it never was right for me. I had a lot of shouler and elbow pain and just stopped bbbp’ing about four years ago. I don’t feel my strength or development suffered. I just emphasized overhead movements, inclines, dipped and used dumbbells for the occassional flat work. Everything was great.

About 5 months ago I got curious to see what I could do with bbbp’ing again. So I worked it in, as smartly as I knew how, did a lot of research on the movement here, and at elitefts, did the accessory and supplemental work, and experimented. Well, I found out what I could do with it–I could tear a pec off. I’m not going to not do chest work again, I’m just not going to bbbp. I don’t think I need it, and I don’t think it’s worth the risk of injury–for me.

Damn, what kind of weight were you guys using to tear muscles…

[quote]Phatshady912 wrote:
Damn, what kind of weight were you guys using to tear muscles…[/quote]

An unbelievable small ammount…It was a friday morning, I was doing back and bi’s, I was finishing up with some ‘light’ preacher db curls…35lbs for 12’s…on my last set I just started to lower the weight and my arm just dropped in a jerky fashion…it sounded like velcro being torn apart and I felt little lightning flashes up my arm…dropped weight, grabbed arm, rolled up sleeve and there was my bicep…or there is where it used to be…the rest had rolled up to my shoulder.