T Nation

Torn MCL, Permanent Damage?

My mcl has been torn for about 2 weeks now and only just starting to show signs of improvement. I dont think its a severe tear but the pain is there.

Are MCL injuries permanent?

Note: this wasnt from lifting, it was from getting hit by a nyc taxi cab.

No.

UNless you seriously tear something, the body can reabsorb usually tissue, and (hopefully) strengthen the area. I’ve had several partial bicep tears over the years. Some have actually created a visual deformity for a while, until my body reabsorbed the tissue (believe me, it was creepy as hell to look at -lol).

S

I tore my MCL last August and it was a pretty bad tear. I got side kicked through the knee at a karate tournament.

My knee felt real weird and unstable so I went to a doctor who said it was a sprain and i should get a full leg splint for 2 weeks then it should be fine. Worst diagnosis ever.

Got home that night about 6 hours after i hurt my knee and it the pain kicked in. Im suprised i didnt overdose on the amount of painkillers i took.

So i went to a physio the next day and he said it was Grade 2 possibly Grade 3 tear and it was borderline whether I should have surgery but could get through it without surgery.

Took me about 7-8 weeks to feel at least normal again and I lost 4 inches on my left quad from the splint and it looked real weirf with a normal right leg and a stick for my left.

My knee is the same if not better than it was before I did my knee in August so its doubtful that its permanent. If youre not sure if its a bad tear go see someone about it.

man, 8 weeks…

the most upsetting thing about this is that i wont be able to squat or deadlift. not to mention i gotta wear an ace bandage just to get around. the hospital gave me crutches but man, they make me feel useless.

it has gotten much better since the accident but it still got me worried about not being able to use it 100%

There is a thread somewhere with ppl recovering from acl and I think mcl injuries on T-Nation. People going into surgery, rehabbing, and afterwards. If I can find it I’ll post it. Sorry to hear about your accident. Rehabs a bitch! But at least you can work on your upper body more intensively til your 100% again.

Actually there are too many of them… haha. just search acl mcl injury and you’ll get buckets of hits. Stay strong.

mcls heal. acls do not. so breath easy. just don’t do anything to interfere with the healing. i had recurrent mcl sprains in highschool football, and eventually tore my acl in lacrosse. i am positive the acl tear is because i never took time off from training to let the mcl heal up properly.

thanks for the encouragement

this is actually the first time ive been injured beyond a sprain. my knee was also sprained but i think the sprain is healing quite well. but going back to the fact that im a noobie when it comes to mcl injuries…

i am able to walk, but with a limp. should i be keeping weight off my leg as much as possible? is it better to keep moving it, or keep it still as possible???

oh and peter aerts is the fuckin mannnnnnn

do this mean you’re going to stop posting in the forums?

do what your physical therapist tells you. does it hurt to bend the knee or just walk on it

WHO is that girl in your pic zeusnathan?

that would be kim kardashian. bitch is on FIYAHHHH

but yea, i can walk on it, just that i gotta keep it stiff because its weak when i bend it.

the pain isnt that bad because i do keep it straight as much as possible… its just a huge inconvenience… i cant squat or deadlift :\

[quote]Therizza wrote:
mcls heal. acls do not. so breath easy. just don’t do anything to interfere with the healing. i had recurrent mcl sprains in highschool football, and eventually tore my acl in lacrosse. i am positive the acl tear is because i never took time off from training to let the mcl heal up properly.[/quote]

sorry, this is wrong

if it’s a complete tear (grade 3) then you’ll likely need surgery or possibly very long rehab… but surgery will actually lead to a faster and stronger recovery in this situation (that goes for acl, mcl, all of 'em)

if it’s not grade 3 then certainly it’ll heal, just do what you need to do to make a full recovery

yea but how do i know if its a grade 3 tear…

can you walk with a grade 3 tear?

Get an MRI and stop wasting time. There different kinds if grade 3 tears and the only one thats bad enough to matter long term is if you ripped your ligament off the bone (shows up as a ‘nub’ on the MRI) you could develop a trick knee and think youve healed when it really has not…

so go get an MRI. Sign up for therapy, and work on your upper body and grip strength in the meantime. Good luck.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Get an MRI and stop wasting time. [/quote]

Seriously. Why did it take so long for that advice to get posted?

OP, unless you’ve already had the imaging done – and it certainly doesn’t sound that way – you can’t know anything about the specifics or severity of the sprain.

problem is the physical therapist says he cant give me an MRI until he recieves the catscans from the hospital i was at. in the meantime i think hes basically brushed it off as a minor injury, but shit… i KNOW its a torn MCL.

my knee extends more than it should causing pain. my knee ‘slides’ out. its been almost a month and the symptoms are still there.

i dont have insurance, so i cant be skipping around doctors.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
do this mean you’re going to stop posting in the forums?[/quote]

If only…