T Nation

Torn Disc and Recovery

I am looking to see if there is anything that I can do to spped up the process of back injury. I have been lifting for 7 years now and have stayed pretty healthy. I recently was doing a snatch of all things and have not been the same since. It injured it 14 weeks ago and have done Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Decompression etc and have some results but not a ton. I have 2 bulging discs which is pretty normal for a lifter but I have an 8mm tear through my L4-L5 and it has healed around 30% I would say in 14 weeks.

I cant really do any legs and it hurts whenever I sit. I really need to get back training and was wondering if something like HGH or IGF may help. I have an MD that perscribes HRT but he said that he isnt that familiar with HGH but when you have a torn disc the fluid leaks out and hits the nerves and that is what causes the pain. He said that HGH or IGF would make the fluid leak worse which isnt good. My IFG blood leves are a 199 if that matters.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I wouldn’t wish your injury on anyone.

In my experience, a torn disk cannot heal itself. It was also explained to me by my neurosurgeon that the inner disk material is more like crab meat than semi-viscous liquid. When it starts to detach (leak out of the disk), especially at the L4-L5, it will impinge on the sciatic nerve that travels down your leg. The only way to get better is to have it removed. Even to the point of cleaning out all the semi-detached material still inside the disk.

I would highly recommend getting an MRI. And a really good orthopedic surgeon.

I’m only speaking from experience (2 back surgeries at the L4-L5), I am not a doctor.

Good luck, man.

I would avoid surgery unless your problem was degrading the quality of life for a long period of time.

I have herniated l-4 l-5 “or whatever the two lowest ones are” and they are degenerative also showing up as darker in color on a MRI i have been helped into wheelchairs and have been in so much pain i needed two vicodan to reach my ass two wipe it i no your suffering oh boy do i know!

i seen a few doctors who swore the only thing was spinal fusions or partial disk removals…after a lot of research and talking to people that have crossed those roads…those surgeries were not an option for me

i have successfully gone 1 yr 1 month without a problem

i would say my diet and training have partially healed me “i am not speculating your diet or training”

i have been curious about the same regarding hgh as i have strength loss in the right leg due to damaged nerves

sorry op that was definitely a hyjack

nutropics over knifes …lol

Bushidobaby: It seems like you know what you are talking about, from what I have been told the tear can heal but it takes 20-40 weeks to do so with proper nutrition and rehab. What are your thoughts on HGH or IGF in regards to healing time?

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Why would HGH or IGF1 make the NP leak faster? I can’t see either of those 2 drugs directly affecting the water content of the NP (nucleus pulposus), therefore niether the hydrostatic pressure nor the viscosity will be affected.

The Doc is partly right about the nerve irritation. If there is a radial fissure that connects the outside of the disc with the NP then there will be some actual extrusion of nuclear material. Since the NP has been there, isolated from the rest of the immune system from birth, it can actually present as a foreign protein to your body, triggering an immune resopnse.

However if there is only a protrusion of the disc (as opposed to a frank herniation) then the Nuclear material is just displaced from the centre of the disc. Outer fibers of the Annulus fibrosis (the donut shaped ‘disc’) still contain the nuclear material, but only just. The bulge of the disc presses on innervated structures (like the posterior longitudinal ligament, or the nerve root) causing pain and/or referred dysasthesia and/or pain.

Bushy[/quote]

yes bushy
most people that have had a discectomy will experience symptoms or trouble in a few years,

although someone with a debilitating back pain might benefit from the instant relief of the pressure caused from nerve impingement minus the surgery wounds, most of them would of healed just as well minus the scar tissue and surgery concerns with time exercise and dietary changes

[quote]hangiron wrote:
yes bushy
most people that have had a discectomy will experience symptoms or trouble in a few years,

although someone with a debilitating back pain might benefit from the instant relief of the pressure caused from nerve impingement minus the surgery wounds, most of them would of healed just as well minus the scar tissue and surgery concerns with time exercise and dietary changes

[/quote]

Edited**

Monopoly, make sure you research every possible treatment. Start with the most non-invasive and go down the list until you reach the treatment that works.

I wish you the very best in luck.