Torn Bicep Tendon

I’ve been working on a large retaining-wall project and moving lots of heavy concrete and equipment and I injured what I think is my bicep tendon. I know some of you have had this injury. I heard some tearing when my elbow hyperextended lifting plywood at an odd angle. I iced and it felt better after a few days, and tried babying it but still worked on the project, but then I stupidly yanked on a heavy plate compactor and I heard a tear again, this time with almost immediate bruising, and extreme pain.

there a way to tell if it is fully separated without seeing a doc? I am assuming it will heal with time, ice, and a little rehab on its own if its not fully separated. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Go to the Dr. to be certain. If you are going to need a surgery; the situation is time sensitive.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
I’ve been working on a large retaining-wall project and moving lots of heavy concrete and equipment and I injured what I think is my bicep tendon. I know some of you have had this injury. I heard some tearing when my elbow hyperextended lifting plywood at an odd angle. I iced and it felt better after a few days, and tried babying it but still worked on the project, but then I stupidly yanked on a heavy plate compactor and I heard a tear again, this time with almost immediate bruising, and extreme pain.

there a way to tell if it is fully separated without seeing a doc? I am assuming it will heal with time, ice, and a little rehab on its own if its not fully separated. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

Its very time sensitive, once the tendon retracts it’s hard for the surgeon to work on.

Biceps damage is cumulative, so you might have your other one worked on by a PT. I did about 10 PT vists of ASTYM on my biceps, forearms, and patellar tendon. Worked great.

Status-post complete biceps tendon rupture with surgical repair here. If you’ve completely ruptured the distal tendon, the belly of the muscle will be shortened and ‘high,’ and the amount of space between the end of the muscle and the crook of your elbow will be greater.

Look at your biceps in the mirror as you mimic the halfway position of a barbell curl. If it’s ruptured, the difference in appearance between the two biceps will be striking.