T Nation

Torn Bicep Tendon

over 50=bad day/deadlifting/did all wrong things=torn bicep/tendon!

See the ortho surgeon thursday.

Any suggestions/comments/references?

Feel ok physically…but mentally down.

mrbeefy

Right now I think the only thing you can do is wait for the consult. Then after that I would get a 2nd and perhaps even a 3rd opinion. Depending on the severity of the tear you may have to undergo surgery to reattach and that means some very serious recovery.

Use this time to do some research and learn about best/worse case scenarios and recomended courses of treatment after the diagnosis. See if you can also find any writings by doctor’s who specialize in maladies/trauma of the upper arm.

When you go to the doctor ask questions - even if you think they sound “dumb.” They don’t call it the practice of medicine for nothing. Ask him/her if this happened to them who would they go to to get it fixed. If you don’t like an answer say you don’t and ask for the explaination around the diagnosis.

Just think of this as a setback and don’t stay “mentally down” too long. The damage has been done so the best use of your time and energy is find the best way to get better. Hang tough and stay positive. You will be back in the gym in no time.

Don’t be a pussy and DONT miss any workouts, pussy.

That’s too bad, Was it a partial rupture or complete tear? I ruptured my left bi tendon (partial tear) still doing PT for it. The Ortho. surgeon I talked to said a complete tear has a faster recovery if taken care of right away. In my case he would have to.detatch it completely and reatatch it with 2 months down time 6 months before returning to normal activty. My advice find a good Doc get a complete MRI don’t wait too long to getit fixed

Thanks guys…definately checking with the doc Thursday!

and…not being a pussy either! That’s what got me into it…not leaving my ego at thedoor!

Looks very serious, hoping for the best.
If you know Defekt, I’ll assume he’s just messing with you. If not, Defekt, what are you doing here with your dumbass comments?

For what it’s worth, a guy in my gym had the exact same thing happen while deadlifting - except he tore BOTH biceps tendons! He ended up having surgery only on one. This was some 20 years ago. Today, he’s in his mid-sixies and is lifting impressively for a man his age. I don’t know what his recovery time was, but he’s definitely back in it completely, now.

Don’t take any chances. Don’t lift for a year if you have to! Baby it, and you’ll recover no matter what.

I tore mine playing rugby last fall… no bruising at all though. Doc said not unusual to have no bruising.

I had endo button reattachment about a week later.

That was Sep 1, and I was pretty much 100% by early March. Played full spring rugby season starting on St Patty’s Day weekend. 11 games total plus lifting, and no problems.

I was very conservative in rehab, but way more aggressive than the PT and surgeon recommended.

PM me if you want the exact workouts I did during rehab.

Good luck dude

LA

Damn beefy, that looks almost exactly like mine did two years ago. My bruise was a little bigger, and had surgery a couple days afterwards. It’s gonna be a bitch Bro.

My best advice for you is not to try to come back too quickly, or you’ll re tear it. I was 12 weeks in a cast, but was back in the gym after 1 week doing what ever I could do. Legs of course, mostly machines only, and there’s quit a few things you’ll be able to do with your right arm.

After two years though, I find my left is still not as strong as my right. It fatigues faster, and although I work it just as hard as the right, it’s still shaped a little differently and not as strong. Best to you buddy. Chin up, it’ll heal.

Thanks guys…it’s gonna be a tough road…I can handle the physical stuff…just need to keep my head in the game.
Another pretty picture!

Wow, I was going to deadlift tomorrow. With my tendinosis, that makes me nervous!

I wouldn’t have guessed that deadlifting would do that, but it’s certainly good to know. Of course, with my paltry deadlift weight, I’m sure I have nothing to worry about.

Gulp.

OK…Had surgical Consult today
Seemd like a nice guy. Has a background in sports medicine. He also already knew what was going on with me since his wife works out in my gym and one of our trainers is good friends with him and was just over his house for dinner.

Went as hoped. Did pre-op testing today ~ Surgery Tomorrow afternoon (Friday).

Outpatient Surgery…should take about an hour.
Single incision just below the elbow, and suture anchors using screws to the radial tuberosity. Soft cast/splint for 1 1/2 to 2 week, then rehab. I asked the susrgeon for agressive surgery and rehab, and [glow=red,2,300]I told him [/glow]I will be 110% within 6 months and back on the platform competing in less than a year. He agreed and said it was a good plan.

I asked for a special device that fits over the soft cast that extends the arm in increments every day to stretch the ligmant. He said it was a good idea and will order one for me.

He just smiled when I asked if he’d be using the “henry” procedure or a double incision approach. I told him I’ve done my homework!

So…grub down tonight…no food after midnight, sleep in…off to surgrey tomorrow afternoon. Should be back home by early evenening. Rehab…here we come!

hmmmm…wonder if I can sneak in and finish my deadlift workout tonight? :wink: ;D

Say a prayer for me.

Good luck! Sounds like you are in more than capable hands

[quote]mrbeefy wrote:
Say a prayer for me.
[/quote]

You got it.

Not to change the subject but it’s hard to find related articles to my scenario. 39 years old and good build. Lift weekly. Tore my bicep muscle completely above my bicep off my shoulder playing softball.

Not much pain nor bruising. Did it a week ago. My bicep is bulky looking now. In seeing the ortho doc he said surgery to repair or just do rehab to get the other muscles in my rotary cuff working more and also my other bicep muscles working more.

Would get back to almost complete strength in time but my bicep would always look bulky. The raheb part as compared to surgery sounded so much easier plus less down time. I started rehab right away. It seems in lifting this week with other muscles everything else will be fine but obviously my bicep curls will be lacking.

Has anyone ever heard of not doing surgery and just doing rehab to get your other muslces to take the place of the torn muscle? Sorry to jump in on someone elses topic but i’m really in the gray hear or what to do. Just didn’t want the down time with surgery. Any thoughts from someone who had similiar scenarios or heard of them?

Thanks…

I don’t know about the tear at the proximal end as I tore the distal…

but rehab only and being left (very) limited vs surgery with great chance of near 100% recovery is an absolute no-brainer.

LA

[quote]mrbeefy wrote:
Say a prayer for me.
[/quote]

On it’s way.

[quote]rustydog wrote:
Not to change the subject but it’s hard to find related articles to my scenario. 39 years old and good build. Lift weekly. Tore my bicep muscle completely above my bicep off my shoulder playing softball.

Not much pain nor bruising. Did it a week ago. My bicep is bulky looking now. In seeing the ortho doc he said surgery to repair or just do rehab to get the other muscles in my rotary cuff working more and also my other bicep muscles working more.

Would get back to almost complete strength in time but my bicep would always look bulky. The raheb part as compared to surgery sounded so much easier plus less down time. I started rehab right away. It seems in lifting this week with other muscles everything else will be fine but obviously my bicep curls will be lacking.

Has anyone ever heard of not doing surgery and just doing rehab to get your other muslces to take the place of the torn muscle? Sorry to jump in on someone elses topic but i’m really in the gray hear or what to do. Just didn’t want the down time with surgery. Any thoughts from someone who had similiar scenarios or heard of them?

Thanks… [/quote]

I had complete bicep distal rupture in a softball game. I waited a long time to have it evaluated, and docs recommended to not repair it, just deal with it(I was 56 years old). They said recovery would be a bitch.

The other muscle (brachialis?) makes up a fair amount of the strength. Today my left arm looks a little weird and some movements are compromised, but I can deadlift 420 and chin with 80lb, so at least for me it was probably the right thing.

Surgery went great! Took about an hour. Surgeon did exactly what I wanted. Was home by 3:00 pm, introducing myself to Mr. Vicodin:)
The special calibrated brace for rehab is already in, and I’ll get it on the 13th at my post up follow-up.
Back at work today, learning to type with one hand :wink:
Going to the gym tonight…just light cardio. Don’t want to get into any bad habits of skipping the gym, plus i need to show the youngsters that us old guys can hang!

Thanks for all the prayers and well-wishes! They worked!

Note to Rusty Dog: was my choice for aggressive surgery and Therapy. I’ve met a few people with the same injury that didn’y have it repaired, and besides some distortion did ok. I’m just the kinda guy that is aggressive and wants to have a say in my destiny, and not leave it to chance. I also didn’t want my future exercise to be pushing the remote buttons while i sit my fat butt on the couch. I will be back…bigger, stronger…

I start mt rehab this friday…i’ll be 110% in less then 6 months, and i’ll be back on the platform setting new records under a year! Hell, I’m only gonna be 51, and i’ve got 3 grandchildren…someone has got to show the next generation what we’re made of…now…if only they can keep up with me!

mrbeefy aka frank

Dang, caught myself rubbing my arm as I read your thread. Hope the rehab goes well.

I am fairly new to deadlifts, was wondering if looking back on this you would say there was something you did, you shouldn’t of been doing, I saw where you mentioned ego. Or was it just one of those things, that just happened.

Hope all goes well.