Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis

Thanks so much for sharing your opinions man! I think I am going to play around with it a little bit and see if I can get anything around it. I really loved your write up on it, great job on the pulls also!

[quote]Alpha wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing your opinions man! I think I am going to play around with it a little bit and see if I can get anything around it. I really loved your write up on it, great job on the pulls also![/quote]

Thanks. I have a lot of work to do. Do let me know if you find it helpful.

Hopefully I can fix my base strength and promote good form in the following months.

8/9/14

I am taking today off.

I will reset tomorrow with the new plan (which I still haven’t finished).

8/10/14

YTWL/APLEY/BDL/BPA

Press
10x45
5x95
3x115
5x145 (Paused. Left shoulder odd feeling.)
3x165 (Paused. More odd feelings in my left shoulder.)
2x185 (Paused. Failed 3rd rep half way up. No pain.)
3x165 (Paused. Left shoulder oddness at top of reps.)
3x165 (Paused. Not so bad. Less oddness.)
3x165 (Paused. First rep awkward. Same as last set.)

I decided to call it for now. The gyms were all closing and my shoulder wasn’t absolutely perfect. I believe that this is the same shoulder I was complaining about with pull ups on the awkward apparatus from last time I did them.

I plan to do dips and pull ups later. I will move my pull up grip in, and use chairs to do dips.

I am going to cut my number of reps per workout on assistance so that my frequency can go up.

I have been trying to annihilate muscles each workout, but in the process, I feel it is just too much stress on my joints.

I am changing my mindset to just “stimulating the muscles.”

I am also going to take one of the principles from the T3hPwnisher. I have heard him say that it is OK if your main lifts are going up, and assistance isn’t. When your assistance is going up, but the main lifts aren’t, something is wrong. There is no need for your assistance to go up if your main lifts are going up as well. I believe this to be true for a number of reasons, one of which being recovery.

Reduced weight on most lifts for the sake of more intelligent progression, focus on better form with all lifts, more frequency should make for better programming. By increasing frequency, my total volume for each 2 week period goes up a bit, and hopefully the joints can recover better from workout to workout.

I am pretty sure that the reason my shoulder was feeling odd yesterday had to do with something that I didn’t realize.

During the first set where I was having shoulder issues, I wore my hat. I tried to avoid knocking it off of my head. This caused me to lean back farther to clear the brim.

I am an idiot.

A complete idiot.

Not just kind of an idiot.

A complete idiot.

8/11/14

Full Body Mobility

Dips
10/10/10/10
(These felt great and were easy. The first 2 sets were great, the 3rd was ok and the 4th was where I started to slow down a bit.)

Face Pull
10x80
10x87
10x87
10x87
10x87
10x87
(I played with several different pully heights before doing these. I ended up using the one I usually use. It is at the top of my head, and I pull over the bill of my cap and touch my forehead. After this, I drove home.)

Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise
20 lbs for sets of 10/2/10/2/10/2/10/2/10/5

Pull Up
10/10/10*/10**
(Set marked with * I eliminated the lowering phase of the lift.) (Set marked with ** was no lowering phase, and a closer grip.)

Chin Up
10/5
(No lowering phase was performed here either, but I was able to get my sternum to touch the bar on a lot of the reps. My mid back felt pretty good though. No shoulder popping was noted when I tried to do these with a hang after my main sets. When I did them continuously with a hang, I made sure to keep my elbows pointed forward. I am just going to do neutral grip from now on. Shoulder/joint health is going to become a priority of mine.)

Curls
69 lbs for sets of 10/10/10
(Yes, I weighed the bar with the weights on it. It really did come out to be 69 lbs.)

Not a bad assistance lift. I will probably take tomorrow off, and then squat the following day.

I heard Ben Rice say it, but it didn’t hit home until I started having this shoulder oddness.

Today I came to the realization that if I am going to be great at this lifting thing, I am going to have to do the stuff that nobody wants to do.

Everyone wants to lift heavy all the time, and get all fired up and rage. Nobody wants to do the boring dirty work, the mobility, the GPP, sleeping/eating well, keeping your training on track and not getting carried away with volume, extra sets, going for rep PRs constantly, etc…

I read the following articles today…

I am going to have to figure out if I am doing face pulls properly or not. I am not sure how I am going to do this though. I have a lot of questions. (Do I lower the weight? Do I change the pulley height? Do I use the form in that article? Is the form in that article different from my own?)

I contacted Clint Darden about my pressing. He asked for a video. So…I am going to make a video. Maybe he can help.

It seems that nobody on the internet is really an expert on prehab/flexibility/mobility/etc. It seems like all the information I find is put together by some “guru,” or is someone who has some kind of degree and will only speculate, or has a degree and tells me to just quit lifting.

What would these people tell Andrew McCutchen if he was injured with a shoulder injury? What if lifting weights was my livelihood?

I don’t seem to get any concrete answers. “Yes, do this thing. Avoid these. Keep this principle in mind.” The questions I am asking shouldn’t be that difficult to answer. Shoulder anatomy isn’t some kind of mystery to mankind.

There has to be a better way than piecing together a bunch of stuff and then shotgunning it at a problem and hoping it works.

Pirates are gonna be a contender in the central

Mike Robertson has some decent stuff on shoulders if you havent checked him out. Personally, the sleeper stretch solved every shoulder problem ive had.

[quote]trivium wrote:
I heard Ben Rice say it, but it didn’t hit home until I started having this shoulder oddness.

Today I came to the realization that if I am going to be great at this lifting thing, I am going to have to do the stuff that nobody wants to do.

Everyone wants to lift heavy all the time, and get all fired up and rage. Nobody wants to do the boring dirty work, the mobility, the GPP, sleeping/eating well, keeping your training on track and not getting carried away with volume, extra sets, going for rep PRs constantly, etc…[/quote]

Very true. That stuff is also important if you want to be able to move when you’re 50!

Great log. I hope your deload and new template help you move forward.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Pirates are gonna be a contender in the central[/quote]

I just spent 20 minutes looking at stats on baseball reference and espn.

I am hoping that they make the wild card spot. I can only hope that the Brewers can’t keep their pace the rest of the season. They came out of the gate so fast.

[quote]Ass Banana wrote:
Mike Robertson has some decent stuff on shoulders if you havent checked him out. Personally, the sleeper stretch solved every shoulder problem ive had.[/quote]

I haven’t looked at him yet. I have been doing at least 20 minutes of reading on the issue every night before I go to sleep. I will check him out.

Thanks for the direction!

[quote]LiftingStrumpet wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

Everyone wants to lift heavy all the time, and get all fired up and rage. Nobody wants to do the boring dirty work, the mobility, the GPP, sleeping/eating well, keeping your training on track and not getting carried away with volume, extra sets, going for rep PRs constantly, etc…[/quote]

Very true. That stuff is also important if you want to be able to move when you’re 50!

Great log. I hope your deload and new template help you move forward.

[/quote]

Thanks for checking out my log!

I will post up a complete write up of my new stuff when I feel it is ready. I really do believe that I am coming up with a more intelligent plan. It was hard for me to admit that what I was doing might have been sub-optimal.

8/13/14

Went into this with some left posterior knee tightness.

Full Body Mobility (which took 30 Minutes).

Squat
4x45 (Was making depth easily.)
5x135
5x185
3x225
5x260
3x295 (Felt heavy and off center somehow.)
7x330 (Belted. Left knee oddness. I believe from knee caving, which I didn’t notice. RPE 10.)
3x295 (Beltless. Short pauses.)

Hyperextensions
Held a 25 lb weight for sets of 10/10/10/10
(These were a lot more challenging than I though. I added them because Pozdeev, and Pete Rubish recommend them. I went with Pozdeev’s approach though. Higher reps, less weight. I believe this is conditioning fatigue. I was surprised to see how hard these hit my hamstrings. My back was cramping hard after 3 sets, and the drive home was miserable.)

I don’t know whats up with my joints right now. I need to get this stuff under control before I embark on my new goals/setup. I don’t want to have any reason to fail. I have an idea though.

I should have done abs in all honesty.

Dang.

I still need to make that video for Clint Darden.

Tomorrow is an off day because I have to work.

I have not implemented my new plan yet.

It is about 99% done unless I have some miracle revelation that changes my entire outlook.

I think it is a good step between where I have been, and where I am going.

Thank you for reading!

Have a good night.

I forgot to mention that I loosened up my belt a bit and moved it down some.

Major difference in feel.

I felt like I could push out harder on the belt, and that it gave more support that way.

Also I am having some left forearm pain. Especially when I make a fist, flex my wrist, and pronate my hand.

[quote]trivium wrote:
There has to be a better way than piecing together a bunch of stuff and then shotgunning it at a problem and hoping it works.[/quote]
I do this now hahah

[quote]trivium wrote:
There has to be a better way than piecing together a bunch of stuff and then shotgunning it at a problem and hoping it works.[/quote]
Actually IMO you’re closer than you think with that. I described it as throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. I went through many, many mobility drills before I was able to narrow it down to a couple ones that were key to fixing my imbalances.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
I do this now hahah[/quote]

Are you recovering from your injuries?

I know you were hurt a while back.