Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis

[quote]csulli wrote:
Lol, nice deadlift fest.[/quote]

Thanks man. It ain’t a fest until youre spending well over 2 hours with a barbell in your hands haha.

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

What kind of tools?

[/quote]

a pro hands extra heavy tension… its like for individual fingers, but they’ve got like 11 different exercises you can do with it, some are easy and some i can’t do yet.

another is like a “reverse gripper” haha you have to try open your hands against resistance bands. (they call it the ‘grip saver plus’???)

and then i have some “heavy grips” 150lbs and 200lbs to start. I can close the 200lber for 5-8 reps depending on how tired I am, and fairly high reps for the 150lber[/quote]

You tried the captain of crush yet?

I hear good things about those.

I need to work on setup and form for all of my lifts more. When I get some spare time I will take vids and start tossing them up.

Thanks for reading everyone.

the heavy grips are almost identical to the captains of crush as far as i can tell?

305x10, nice work!

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:
the heavy grips are almost identical to the captains of crush as far as i can tell?

305x10, nice work! [/quote]

They probably are. I have always wanted a few of those things. I find farmers carries to be awesome for grip and traps, I just never have time to do them when I want to.

Thanks for the compliment by the way.

6/21/14

YTWL/APLEY/BDL/BPA

Bench Press
5x45
10x45
5x135
3x185
3x200
3x225
7x255 (Paused. Failed 8 about half way up. Almost got it.)
7x225 (Long pauses. No fail.)
7x225 (Long pauses. No fail.)
6x225 (Long pauses. No fail.)

Kroc Row
120 lb dumbbell for sets of 15/12/12/10/10/5
100 lb dumbbell for a strict set of 10

Bench was a bit higher off the ground than I am used to, however it was more heavily built and was rectangular as opposed to the oval shaped one I am used to.

Felt good here. I didn’t do incline again. Just didn’t feel like it was necessary, and I felt like it was beating my shoulders up a bit. I may include it next week or I may do something else, who knows.

6/22/14

Plate loaded T Bar Row Machine
10x25
10x45
10x70
10x90
10x115
10x135
10x160 (Kind of sloppy on some reps.)
5x180 (Sort of sloppy.)
10x135
10x135
10x135
10x135 (Last few reps form was questionable.)
10x135 (Much better than the previous set.)

Cable Rope Pushdown
10x40/50/60/70 (Reverse drop set here to find my weight.)
10x70
10x70
10x70
10x80
10x80
10x80
7x80
8x60

Average workout. I hope I am sore in all the right spots tomorrow.

Why doesn’t anywhere have a chest supported row?

I mean really it is such an awesome thing. I cannot believe that so many gyms lack one.

Thanks for reading everyone.

I have been thinking a lot about how I will adjust my foot position in squats lately. I am thinking that I may try to point my toes forward more to prevent my knees from caving at all. It’s not that I have a problem with my knees caving too far in, it is just that I don’t want any stress on my acl/mcl/medial meniscus that doesn’t need to be there. I have been dealing with a bit of knee “oddness.”

I am thinking that with a change in shoes, I will need to make adjustments, not a big deal.

Plus pointing my toes forward more may allow me to drive my knees out more and allow me to achieve more rotational force on my leg which could make my squat more efficient and stronger by allowing me to activate my hips more.

Have a good night!

6/24/14

Today was supposed to be deadlift day.

I have loads of time to get to the gym if I change my mind later but…

I didn’t eat well yesterday.

I had to wake up early for work.

My back is not 100% recovered yet from my last workouts.

I am sure that tomorrow it will feel better, so as of this moment in time I will move today’s workout to tomorrow.

You gonna have some vids up of your squat soon? Still curious to see if the Adipowers changed anything. Maybe your knee oddness could be related to the heel height?

[quote]Ravenous_ wrote:
You gonna have some vids up of your squat soon? Still curious to see if the Adipowers changed anything. Maybe your knee oddness could be related to the heel height?[/quote]

I really do think that is part of the issue. I feel like with a lift in the heel, you do not need to point your feet out as much. I have yet to adjust my foot position.

It is either that, or stiff legs giving me some irritation.

I cannot decide which. It may be a lot of things though.

I will see if I can get a form video up with my next workout.

Thank you for taking interest in my log/lifting! It does really mean a lot to me.

6/25/14

Deadlift
5x135 (Beltless double overhand.)
5x135 (Beltless double overhand.)
5x185 (Beltless double overhand.)
3x225 (Beltless double overhand.)
3x275 (Beltless double overhand.)
3x315 (Beltless double overhand.)
10x345 (Belted. Mixed grip with right hand up. Pretty satisfactory reps.)
3x365 (Belted. Mixed grip with right hand up. Felt heavy.)
5x405 (Belted. Mixed grip with right hand up. No failing. Felt ok. Slight hold at top.)
3x315 (Was running short on time so I only did 3 sets. Beltless double overhand.)

Stiff Leg Deadlift
5x250 (Beltless double overhand.)

Wasn’t motivated at all today. No psyching up, nothing. Just felt emotionally flat and uninvested.

Today I woke up and was feeling good out of the gates, but after work I just started to get tired. I napped for 20 minutes immediately before lifting. I hate lifting right after I wake up.

Oh well. This wasn’t a bad lift. It just wasn’t very fun. I really just felt like I was going through the motions.

I really tried to use acceptable form with all of my lifts today.

The right side of my back has been more sore than the left lately. That is the side that I injured a few months back, so maybe it is just catching back up to the left, which was uninjured. Who knows though.

I will try to get that squat video filmed and up soon.

Are there any other requests for things such as videos that I can provide?

Feel free to hit me up on here if you guys need anything.

I am hopefully going to be able to help BangkokHustle with his lifting more soon. I am really excited to have someone to work with.

Have a good night everyone. Thanks for reading.

I should also add that I used my own numbers for my deadlift workout on 6/25. They were only slightly heavier than they should have been, but I didn’t want to do any math, so I just did whatever.

Dude your deadlift workouts give me a warm fuzzy feeling deep down in my stomach.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Dude your deadlift workouts give me a warm fuzzy feeling deep down in my stomach.[/quote]

I wish I had more time and was in better condition.

I think it would be awesome to get some squatting in at the end.

I just always run out of time.

Here is my post for the night.

I am so tired of hearing about drugs.

I think we all, natural and otherwise, are all battling diminishing returns.

There are several ways to fight this. You must manipulate intensity, volume, and frequency appropriately.

I believe you must stress two of those to make progress. One is not enough.

I get really tired of people saying shit like “this program won’t work for natural guys.”

I don’t believe that steroids change your body so radically that the basic physiology changes. They just help to change the ceiling on diminishing returns.

Instead of hitting your plateau at 500 lbs, you’ll just hit it somewhere else later down the road depending on your response to what you are taking. It could happen at 505, or it could happen at 800. Who knows.

But, does it really matter?

All programs that show intelligent design and stress two of the three aforementioned variables (volume, intensity, frequency) will work at various times.

Knowing when to deploy that method is the trick, not simply just doing a particular method or program with no reason for it.

6/28/14

Just wasn’t feeling it today.

I woke up super early on my own.

My back was still really tight from stiff legs and I ended up getting a nasty cut on my foot.

My hamstrings are destroyed from stiff legs. I really believe that these are doing wonders for my form. I didn’t really hitch any reps in my last deadlift workout.

I am going to go to the gym tomorrow though. It may be marathon 2-a-day session if I get in there in time.

I am thinking that I may also need to get some arch supports to put in my shoes.

This may be the source of the odd feelings in my knees.

Check hip flexibility as well as ankle flexibility. Hip flexion, extension, IR, and ER mainly, as well as ankle dorsiflexion. Barring traumatic events the knee doesnt generally just get pissed for no reason.