Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis

If you want to do this I can give you the base building methods 1, 2, and 3.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
If you want to do this I can give you the base building methods 1, 2, and 3.[/quote]

I am going to buy the book soon. I am still madly in love with 5/3/1 though.

6/7/14

Ytwl/apley/band dislocates/band pullaparts

Bench Press (Closer grip than usual.)
10x45
5x45
5x135 (Felt odd in my right shoulder.)
5x185 (Paused.)
5x215 (Paused. Fast.)
10x240 (Paused. Good reps. Failed 11.)
7x215 (Paused. Felt good.)
5x215 (Paused. Felt odd in shoulder.)
7x215 (Paused. Felt better.)
5x215 (Paused. Widened grip a bit to thumb’s length from smooth center.)

Kroc Row
120 lb dumbbell for sets of 15/11/11/11/5

I was out of it today. I was having a hard time focusing on the reps during Kroc Rows. I did my best to make sure that those are accurate numbers. The gym closed on me as well. I had a ton of work to get done today.

I skipped incline. I figured that my shoulders were already feeling a bit sketchy. Maybe I’ll play with it some tomorrow.

I will definitely row a ton tomorrow if I can though.

I have so much work to do, it’s not even funny.

The best part of my day was watching my nephew (2 years old) walk into my room and instinctively grab a loaded barbell I have with a mixed grip and try to deadlift it. (I use it for curls and skull crushers.)

Little man missed the lift, but in all fairness, his form was a bit off (too far behind the bar, rounded back) and it was a double bodyweight attempt.

I swear he literally took a step back, re-evaluated the situation, and then tried again haha. I just about died. The only thing he didn’t do was look at his hands after missing the first time.

ALSO, I have to re-evaluate my training priorities.

My back and legs are also still torched from squatting. I may never leg press again haha. I don’t think I need it. I think it just puts me under unnecessarily heavy weight and therefore ups my risk of injury. There’s no need for that.

Thanks for reading everyone.

[quote]trivium wrote:
The best part of my day was watching my nephew (2 years old) walk into my room and instinctively grab a loaded barbell I have with a mixed grip and try to deadlift it. (I use it for curls and skull crushers.)

Little man missed the lift, but in all fairness, his form was a bit off (too far behind the bar, rounded back) and it was a double bodyweight attempt.

I swear he literally took a step back, re-evaluated the situation, and then tried again haha. I just about died. The only thing he didn’t do was look at his hands after missing the first time.

ALSO, I have to re-evaluate my training priorities.

My back and legs are also still torched from squatting. I may never leg press again haha. I don’t think I need it. I think it just puts me under unnecessarily heavy weight and therefore ups my risk of injury. There’s no need for that.

Thanks for reading everyone.[/quote]
LOL ahahah
Little kids lifting kill me…my friend’s son snatches a PVC pipe with better form that he does IMO

also your deadlift looks good. I would say try getting the belt lower and tighter. I get it under my belly a bit, with the front lower than the back

[quote]trivium wrote:
[/quote]
LOL

Thanks for the posts guys.

BD, I will ahve to give it a go next session. It feels good high for squats though. Deadlift may be a different story.

6/8/14

T-Bar Row
10x25
10x50
10x75
10x100 (Dominated these reps.)
10x125 (Dominated.)
10x150 (Ok reps.)
10x175 (Crappy reps.)
2x200 (Form was so sloppy I stopped.)
10x150 (Controlled reps.)
10x150 (Controlled reps.)
11x150 (Ok reps.)
11x150 (Got real tired half way through.)
11x150 (I was beat. Barely finished this set. Had to do some deep breathing to make it.)

Cable Rope Pushdown
10x50
10x50
10x50
11x50
10x50
8x50
5x40
6x30
8x40
10x30
8x30

I had zero extra time for Kroc Rows and Incline Bench. I have a ton of stuff I have to get done this week as well. I hope I can DL before Friday afternoon.

Thanks for reading everyone. I will catch up on your logs in the near future.

Have a good night!

If its a proper SSB, it will have a bit of a camber to it, so its actually trying to pitch you forward the entire time. I hated it at first, but now I absolutely love it and use it alot. Also, dont give up on the front squat. It is hard to get the form down but both my deadlift and squats benefit huge from it, even with injury issues. Youve got an awesome log, ill definately be keeping up with it.

[quote]Chicksan wrote:
If its a proper SSB, it will have a bit of a camber to it, so its actually trying to pitch you forward the entire time. I hated it at first, but now I absolutely love it and use it alot. Also, dont give up on the front squat. It is hard to get the form down but both my deadlift and squats benefit huge from it, even with injury issues. Youve got an awesome log, ill definately be keeping up with it.[/quote]

Thanks man. Do you have a log?

I like seeing everyone progress.

I was just so beat in my last leg session, I couldn’t get the reps. I don’t know what was up with that.

Front/safety squats are humbling, thats for sure.

6/10/14

Deadlift
5x135
5x135
5x185
3x225
5x240
1x240 (Left hand up.)
1x240 (Right hand up.)
5x280 (Still double overhand.)
10x320 (This set was a complete joke. Easy. Belted. Right hand up.)
5x365 (Felt real good. Belted. Right hand up.)
5x405 (Again, felt really good. Belted. Left hand up. No hold at top. Failed 6*.)
1x405 (For form review. Belted. Right hand up.)
5x315 (Back to beltless double overhand reps.)
5x315
5x315 (Right hand up.)
5x315 (Left hand up.)
(* the 6th rep is definitely there. It is just mental at this point.)

Stiff Leg Deadlift
5x245 (All beltless and double overhand.)
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
(Still unsure of form here. As long as I am sore in the right spots tomorrow I’ll be ok with it.)

Marathon session. Gotta get more grip work somehow.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Sorry for being a shitty internet friend. =[

[quote]trivium wrote:
6/10/14

Deadlift
5x135
5x135
5x185
3x225
5x240
1x240 (Left hand up.)
1x240 (Right hand up.)
5x405 (Again, felt really good. Belted. Left hand up. No hold at top. Failed 6*.)
5x315
5x315 (Right hand up.)
5x315 (Left hand up.)

Stiff Leg Deadlift
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
(Still unsure of form here. As long as I am sore in the right spots tomorrow I’ll be ok with it.)

Marathon session. Gotta get more grip work somehow.[/quote]

nice session. i’ve been grip working like crazy the last couple days, bought some chalk and some rock climbers grip tools.

personally i find the stiff legs to be a fair amount of grip work, (but my grip sucks!) partly because i’ve been refusing to progress if i can’t do it double overhand.

[quote]zenontheterrible wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:
6/10/14

Deadlift
5x135
5x135
5x185
3x225
5x240
1x240 (Left hand up.)
1x240 (Right hand up.)
5x315
5x315 (Right hand up.)
5x315 (Left hand up.)

Stiff Leg Deadlift
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245
5x245

Marathon session. Gotta get more grip work somehow.[/quote]

nice session. i’ve been grip working like crazy the last couple days, bought some chalk and some rock climbers grip tools.

personally i find the stiff legs to be a fair amount of grip work, (but my grip sucks!) partly because i’ve been refusing to progress if i can’t do it double overhand. [/quote]

What kind of tools?

I feel the same way about double overhand stiff leg deadlifts.

Lol, nice deadlift fest.

6/15/14

YTWL/Apley/Band Pullapart/Band Dislocates.

Press
10x45
5x45
5x95
3x135
3x150
5x170 (Paused. No fail.)
5x150 (Paused. No fail.)
5x150 (Paused. No fail.)
5x150 (Paused. No fail.)
4x150 (Paused. No fail.)

Dips
10/10/10/10/10/8/6

Took a break for a few hours.

Pull Ups
10/10/10/10/9/5/7

I can’t remember much about this lift. I am happy with getting my top set of the day though.

6/16/14

Joined a new gym in Ohio.

YTWL/Apley/Band Dislocates/ Band Pullaparts

Neutral Grip Chin Up
10/5 (Got a terrible headache here. One of the worst I ever had.)

Face Pull
10x12 on stack
10x14 on stack
10 x stack
10 x stack
10 x stack
10 x stack
10 x stack
10 x stack
10 x stack
10 x stack
10 x stack
10 x stack
10 x stack (Form started to break down on a few reps.)
9 x stack (Form breakdowns again.)

Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise
12x20
12x20
12x20
12x20
12x20
10x20
10x20
10x20

Standing Barbell Curl
10x75
10x75
10x75 (I have this down as 5 plus 5, but I don’t recall taking a break between or having to regrip.)
(My right felt heavier than the left the whole time. No idea why. I even tried flipping the bar around. I only did 3 sets because the gym was closing. Biceps aren’t really a priority for me anyway, so I will call this a “deload” for that muscle group and get back to hittin them hard next time they are up to be trained.)

This lift was below average. I feel like it should have been better. Oh well. I can have one bad workout. It isn’t like I messed up a big 5/3/1 set or anything. I do plan on lifting forever, so one off day shouldn’t hurt too much.

My headache was still going after. I just went home and went to bed. It was still there a tiny bit in the morning. It resolved by lunch time without any treatment.

[quote]trivium wrote:

What kind of tools?

[/quote]

a pro hands extra heavy tension… its like for individual fingers, but they’ve got like 11 different exercises you can do with it, some are easy and some i can’t do yet.

another is like a “reverse gripper” haha you have to try open your hands against resistance bands. (they call it the ‘grip saver plus’???)

and then i have some “heavy grips” 150lbs and 200lbs to start. I can close the 200lber for 5-8 reps depending on how tired I am, and fairly high reps for the 150lber

i posted a picture of all that crap in my log.

6/18/14

I almost skipped this day. I was not feeling it at all. I was tired, underfed, and feeling weak.

Squat
10xBW
5x45
5x135
3x185
3x225
3x240
3x275
10x305 (Belted up. TNG reps. No fail. Felt like I was pitching forward a bit. I suspect it was a setup error.)
2x305 (Belted. Long pause reps. I just didn’t have any more after 2, so I racked it.)
3x275 (Beltless. Paused reps. My left knee felt awkward.)
3x275 (Beltless. Paused reps. Still left knee awkwardness.)
3x275 (Beltless. Paused reps. No idea what was going on with my left knee.)

Front Squat
5x185 (Right hand on top. Beltless. Paused.)
5x185 (Left hand on top. Beltless. Paused.)
1x185 (Clean grip. Beltless. Paused.)
2x185 (Right hand on top. Beltless. Paused .)
2x185 (Left hand on top. Beltless. Paused.)
(Still some left knee awkwardness going on during these sets.)

Felt like crap. This workout sucked. I really wanted more. I am not happy with this at all. After the workout I got back into my chucks and did some bodyweight squats. No odd knee feelings.

I should note that there was no pain at all with any of my lifts this particular day.

I am going to try to change my foot position again. I feel like it needs adjusted due to my new weightlifting shoes.

Perhaps I will work on form after my deadlift workout next week.