Torn ACL, Please Help

Well guys, things were going pretty good. PR’s almost every week, leaning out noticable,etc. But that appears over for now. Earlier tonight I was wrestling, mistepped, then heard and felt two prolonged pops in my right knee. I instantly colapsed to the ground in awful pain. Was unable to drive myself home due to the pain and instability in my right knee and I sit here at a loss for what to do.

I’m going to try to get an appointment with an orthopaedic doctor ASAP tommorrow. I’m pretty sure I’ll need surgery, but even if not I’ll be doing rehab on the knee, but what about the parts of me that still work? What kind of upper body workout parameters should I employ?

I’ve always worked off the philosophy that no program worth doing doesn’t include some form of squats and/or deadlift, but obviously the ability to perform those excercises has left me.

What about lifting with the good leg to get a sympathetic muscle response? Anyone know how one goes about doing so.

Also, I was starting to lean out, but I’ve always been anything but. How can I keep my bodyfat down if I can’t even do cardio? I know it’s mostly diet based, but with such a sharp dropoff in energy expenditure how can I avoid gaining a ton of weight?

I know there are plenty of people out there with much worse problems, but I still can’t help but be overwhelmed with how depressing this all is, even if I can put together a top notch recovery plan. I was as dedicated as I’ve ever been in my life to my workouts which was starting to yield some great dividends and now I can’t even get around my own house.

Hey bro, there’s plenty you can do in the meantime, believe me. I’ll write more tomorrow during PT, but for now keep your head up. Trust me, injuries blow, but you’ll come out stronger than ever before.

First things first, do anything possible to get the swelling down: RICE and NSAID’s would be a good start.

Stay strong
MR