T Nation

Tore My Hands Up

This is what both my hands look like today; minus the skin flap…They were hanging by a thread and I removed them.

After a set of deads (5x5 @ 385lbs) and then a set of rack pulls (6x3 @ 465lbs)…I knew my hands felt weird after that last rep of rack-pulls.

It will make for an interesting bench session today.

It’s not rare for me to tare a callus off; but I never had this happen in my PALMS before. Even at a much heavier deadlift. Weird.

Guess my grip is good.

Looks like you’ll need to cancel your evening masturbation session…

Sorry Rock - you set yourself up well for that one.

Zing!

Well done.

Gotta love having a girlfriend…

“Look, no hands!”

I did the same thing on rack pulls on my left hand about a month ago, and on my right hand a couple of weeks ago. My tear was a little higher than yours, but lower than where my usual calouses form.

Trim off the excess skin, and keep the wound clean. After a couple of daysof healing, I made sure to keep applying lotion, otherwise they tend to dry out and crack during the healing process. I found that when mine cracked, I just applied a little super glue to the crack with my palm as open as possible. Let it dry, and you should be good to go.

I tend to get them more on my palms than the edges of my hand or on my fingers as well.

Show those mofos, who’s the boss (and it never was Tony Danza)!

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Zing!

Well done.

Gotta love having a girlfriend…

“Look, no hands!”[/quote]

I’m glad you left your “Ma” out of that phrase!

I use straps when I do rack pulls for that reason.

The same thing happened to me recently after deadlifting, and then using a really rugged handle for pull-downs. Tore all the epidermia and pretty deep into the dermia, into the nerves, which was pretty irritating on my lifts for the next week or so.

Now I’ve started using straps for “heavy” (for me) pulls, but I might just have them a little loose so I still get my gripping strength worked good.

I did the same thing last summer ('07). I was competiting at a strongman show. When we got to the farmers walk, I picked up the implements and started to walk. I dropped them, and picked them up. I dropped them again, but I couldn’t pick them up because they were slippery. When I looked at my hands they were covered in blood. I had ripped all my calluses in my right hand.

Wish I had taken a picture…

[quote]Bchamp wrote:
I did the same thing last summer ('07). I was competiting at a strongman show. When we got to the farmers walk, I picked up the implements and started to walk. I dropped them, and picked them up.

I dropped them again, but I couldn’t pick them up because they were slippery. When I looked at my hands they were covered in blood. I had ripped all my calluses in my right hand.

Wish I had taken a picture…[/quote]

Farmers’ walkin’ is brutal…that turn is a pain in the ass. But it’s a good time for sure.

This is what my girl’s hands looked like after a few heavy sets of power cleans.

I have done it…
when my callouses get too big
and its usually a big fat set of cleans
vs deadlifts.

trimming, sanding, shaving, filing callouses
has helped me, and putting your had in a saltwater bath has helped the fresh skin toughen up.

kmc

Straps on my rep sets have eliminated this irritating problem.

Also, I’ve had luck using toenail clippers to trin my callouses down/off after a long shower…works well as long as you’re careful not to go too deep, and the callouses are sufficiently large.

I got a pumice stone to work on my callouses and it’s been working well so far. Just takes 30 seconds in the shower every day.

I’m anti strap unless I drop the weight and need em to continue my work

Cleans and deads jack up my calluses, but I have some pretty tough skin to begin with

When they get too big, I just bite em off haha

+1 on the pumice stone. Get a pink one and you will be extra manly.

None the less, they really do work. If you rub the calluses down, they wont pull all the way out when you lift and you keep that hard earned tough skin.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
[/quote]

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Are those straps?!

BLASPHEMER! REAL MEN DON’T USE STRAPS! THAT’S NOT A REAL DEADLIFT! LOSE THE STRAPS! They make your grip weak and your penis small![/quote]

ND, what are you telling us…

For what its worth, I get those palm caluses as well, use a pumice stone, it works.

Do it.

[quote]mahwah wrote:
NewDamage wrote:

NewDamage wrote:
Are those straps?!

BLASPHEMER! REAL MEN DON’T USE STRAPS! THAT’S NOT A REAL DEADLIFT! LOSE THE STRAPS! They make your grip weak and your penis small!

ND, what are you telling us…

For what its worth, I get those palm caluses as well, use a pumice stone, it works.

Do it.[/quote]

Muahaha, just a little exaggeration against those who think straps are the devil, as I’ve used them for a while now and have had no grip problems when pulling for PRs. They absolutely save my hands from getting ripped to shreds when I’m going for multiple reps though.

And you guys really have success with pumice stones? Either I’m a dumbass, or else my callouses are just too thick to be phased by them. They did nothing for me. Maybe if I attached them to a bench grinder?

Did I say pumice stone…

No, seriously, I hit 'em up in the shower as needed and it works.

Of course, I’m not pulling over 600…yet.