Tore ACL - Need Help!

[quote]CarpeD1em500 wrote:
Alright sounds good - thats generally what my PT guy was telling me, a few weeks for the incisions to heal, then back to work as hard as I can reasonably go (and for my sanity, haha)…

How long before you were back to training without any restrictions (upper body and lower body)?

Thanks for the continued help guys.

Random question, how long before I might be able to hit around a heavy bag? Sooner than basketball I’d imagine, right?[/quote]

The patellar tendon graft and the achilles allograft are usually at their weakest at 2-3 months post surgery, usually when most people are getting to feel normal range of motion and strength(weak because of circulation and collagen turnover,I’m told). It’s usually safe to resume most activities 4-5months post op except for fast turns and cutting(strong knee rotation on planted feet). hope that helps and good luck with the surgery!

Could you give me some more information on this? My rehab guy told me he knew kinda what I was talking about, but to ask you the specific name / details, etc.

Also, thanks for that info on the 2-3 months thing. I guess I’ll have to be extra careful during that time period, then start to really do my thing around 4 months out.

I actually think this might be a blessing in a way. I had been slightly neglecting my legs in the past year or so, and this will force me to get back into squatting and whatever (eventually…not right away of course).

Gotta find that silver lining. In the meantime, I actually got into the gym and did a near-full upper body workout last night (I’m still pre-op), and it was great to see that even without a working knee, I’m still one of the stronger guys at my school. Not too bad. Not too bad at all.

This may not be the exact modelo but it si the same principle.

Bacilly you have a wrap attached to your limb and ice water flows in from the cooler. After 20 minutes or so your lift the cooler higher than the wrap and the water is siphoned (sp?) back to cooler and repeat.

I used one of these on a borken ankle in the past. It is easier tham messing with ice but I am not sure how much time will be cut out of rehab. You basically can reuse this one for hours…

Hey ya’ll…just figured I’d check in.

Over the past 2 weeks I’ve gotten nearly 100% ROM back in my left knee. Lots of stretching, etc. etc. I’ve also been on the bike and doing some light upper body workouts, which are helping to keep me sane.

Tomorrow is the big day. Going under the knife. First is a scope, next is the meniscus cutting / fixing, and finally, they have to check to see how badly my ACL is torn. Doc said there is a small (very) small chance that it is in decent condition, and I won’t need a reconstruct, however he said to plan on having one.

From what I’ve heard the first few days are pretty brutal, so I might not be checking in until Monday or so.

Just wanna say thanks to everyone I’ve spoken with here who has tried to help and stuff. I appreciate it a lot and it helps to know that other people have gone through this and come out stronger at the end of it all. So Thank You!

Stay Strong. I’ll be back!

-Mike