Topical Dutasteride: Morning, Night or Both?

I recently started topical dutasteride, as I’m on trt.
The bottle is: 65ml - .05% liquid.

The prescription says: apply 6 sprays equal to 1ml dropper daily at bedtime to affected areas and rub in well.

My question is would it be anymore effective to apply half dose in the morning and half dose at night?

I’m also applying minoxidil once daily.

Only reason I would think it might be better is that you might get it spread more evenly. Dutasteride has a super long half life (like a month), if the theory works out that it blocks scalp DHT, I don’t think you would need to apply it all that often (once a day should be fine).

For scientific reasons, do you have pre Dutasteride blood work with DHT? Starting pics, with progress pics in the same conditions would be great as well. Would be nice to understand this.

Remember on this, it is a lifetime commitment. If you stop, the gains will go away. Might make more sense to see if the Dutasteride gets you where you want to be first?

I have to say, I recently discovered a YouTube channel called haircafe. I think your questions might be answered there. I find the guy to be pretty in depth in his analysis of hair loss.

Pre-dutasteride, January 2022

Pre-dutasteride DHT, while on TRT.

I’m planning on going to Bosley or some other reputable hair restoration later this year or early next year. My hair is important to me…and one way or another, I’ll have restored to 90% or more coverage/density and will do what I need to do to maintain it.

A friend of mine takes testosterone and had hair restoration done about 5yrs ago. He hasn’t had any noticeable hairloss since starting testosterone and he takes topical dutasteride and finasteride 3x week. Not sure I agree with the finasteride, but maybe that regimen simply works for him.

1 Like

I think you are on the right path if you want good hair. Unfortunately, I think unless you are a hyper responder, you are going to need a hair transplant. It sucks, but if I was in your shoes, I’d do the same.

The more I did into it, the more I think Finasteride is an amazing drug. All drugs come with sides for some, but with Finasteride, there is only a low occurrence.

With a dose of 5 mg a day (dose for prostate enlargement, which is 5X the dose for hair loss), in a large sample size 9% got sexual side effects, but 7% of the placebo group got sexual side effects (some of that group complained that they were ongoing after the cessation of the placebo too). Placebo effect is huge with this drug.

PFS, hasn’t been proven to be real yet. The PFS foundation is still trying to sue Merck, but they can’t prove their claims. Sexual dysfunction isn’t that rare. If a large enough study on almost anything is done, some will suffer sexual dysfunction during the course of the study.

There are certainly some sexual sides with the drug. The thing is, most of that can be controlled by adjustments of dosing, or cessation of the drug. It won’t cause long term sexual issues. Many have other causes of their long term sexual issues, and blame Finasteride.

Kinda a rant here, but study after study have shown PFS as unsubstantiated. Many fearmonger so much with this drug, when 95%+ of men could take it and have little to no side effects with dose adjustments. For those other 5ish%, they could stop taking it, and return to normal in a few weeks.