T Nation

On that specific day, I’ll be nerd-raging that this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/ has fucked up one of the best books I’ve read in a long time, World War Z.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I think if the lights ever did go out, the only people who would survive already know how to shoot a gun and camp on their own without dying from exposure.[/quote]

Bing.go.

However, just knowing how to shoot a gun will not be enough-- you (they, we, whatever) need to actually own a firearm, have ammo, AND know how to use it. Just like ‘knowing how to eat’ doesn’t put food in your mouth.

Right now, people call them “gun nuts” or “crazy”.

If something like that should ever happen, they will call them ‘alive and well’.

Knowing how to hunt, fish, and/or grow food will be just as valuable. I guess ‘knowing how to barter’ (and having something of value to barter) will be a necessity as well.

I did not know it got that bad up in H-town during the Hurricane X. Great topic, you guys ever listen to coast to coast on AM. I got into it when I started working nights and just this week they had a whole episode dedicated to this topic. So many theories and so on… The way they make it sound is that no matter what we do we cannot prevent it.
Do I believe, somewhat, but it does make on scared when they have mouths to feed. It is amazing that many civilizations around the world have the same date. The good thing is I have stocked up with water and food along ammo for the weapons.
I know there are some coast to coast experts around here.

http://www.foodinsurance.com/?gclid=CMuVzYT7tqsCFUSW7QodSnA1xQ

I have been looking into something like this. Probably not exactly this since its expensive but something close to it. Im already stocked up on water(I have a 10,000 tank that catches and is currently is filled with rain water), firearms(4), and plenty of various items for survival and bartering. Ammo and a dependable short term food supply is my only concern.

Whatever I’m gonna do, I’m gonna do it in Vegas. And it’s going live on TV.

The Messiah, Arthur Fonzarelli, will return and usher in a new age of prosperity and peace, where all problems can be solved by hitting them.

This is why I started playing a lot of Fallout… I’ve got around 16,000 bottlecaps saved up so I should be good!

Seriously though it’s tough to go through life these days without some sort of feeling that some serious shit is on its way. I don’t doubt at all that the Mayans had things figured out much better than NASA…

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I tend to stress when worried about things out of my control.

If I have to start worrying about Sun flares, black holes and stuff I will not get a good night of sleep until the end of the World.

If we have to die, please make it quick.

I got the one on the right. You guys can figure out who kills the other 3 horsemen

[quote]four60 wrote:
I got the one on the right. You guys can figure out who kills the other 3 horsemen[/quote]

I’ll take the creepy fuck at the bottom.

And for everyone that believes ancient peoples knew more than we do now, that’s fucking stupid.

Just because a few dipshits moved some heavy rocks doesn’t mean they can see the future. They didn’t even figure out the whole ‘wash your hands’ thing.

453 days left and i got my cellphone robbed by a hooker in day 1

greattt way to start my apocalypse count down.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
As crazy as it sounds, is anyone open to the idea that it’s even remotely possible that something may go down?

There is a lot our ancestors knew about that we don’t understand yet, who knows if they had some info that we still don’t.

Either way, I’m not fussed. Even if this was real, you can’t do shit to prevent it. I’d probably go see some places around the world that I’ve always wanted to before I die.[/quote]

I’m not terribly worried that the world is gonna end in 2012. Most of this 2012 crap is folks making conclusions from information they didn’t even understand in the first place.

With that said. I’m an Eagle Scout. Our motto is “Be Prepared”, so I’m preparing…

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
The ONLY way this would work is if I was the only one that knew the end was near.
The biz of Church would go thru the roof. An Occult for ever block.

Gather all my family Brothers, Sisters, etc load up on ammo and reloading skills.
Head to that one spot my bother owns land, water. Set up watches.
Sit and wait for the end with loved ones and killing as few people as we can before the end.[/quote]

What if it was a solar flare? Your only ‘safe’ place would be deep underground.[/quote]

That’s what the magnetosphere is for. It’s managed to work pretty good for the last 4 billion years.

[quote]Bujo wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
The ONLY way this would work is if I was the only one that knew the end was near.

Gather all my family Brothers, Sisters, etc load up on ammo and reloading skills.
Sit and wait for the end with loved ones and killing as few people as we can before the end.[/quote]

What if it was a solar flare? Your only ‘safe’ place would be deep underground.[/quote]

That’s what the magnetosphere is for. It’s managed to work pretty good for the last 4 billion years.
[/quote]

MAGNETO!?!

We’re fucked.

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
There is a lot our ancestors knew about that we don’t understand yet, who knows if they had some info that we still don’t.[/quote]

Like what?

Serious question, btw.[/quote]

Like how they even knew about planets that you need telescopes to see now.[/quote]

I agree that ancient societies weren’t stupid societies, and I don’t think modern society respects just what human ingenuity can accomplish.

If you took away all electricity, the night sky would be our new (old) TV. You’d be surprised how much one could learn about the heavens with nothing more than simple observation. Thousands of techniques, sciences, and ideas have been lost and gained and lost again over the centuries as one technology replaces another.

We’ve lost centuries worth of stone cutting and stone construction practices because stone was replaced with more versatile materials. It’s like those idiots claiming that the Nazca lines or the Sacsayhuamán were created by aliens. I can’t stand those morons. Just no respect for what we can create when we put forth a bit of effort.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

[quote]Bujo wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[/quote]

MAGNETO!?!

We’re fucked.[/quote]

Only you pitiful humans, but don’t worry. I’ll be a relatively gentle master once the new master race has established itself.

[quote]Bujo wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[/quote]

Right…and according to the discovery channel show I linked before, all it takes is a direct hit from a solar flare to cause some major damage in terms of desctruction of sattelites and world wide black outs. We have simply lucked out that we have not been hit with a massive solar flare directly aimed at us in a long time. I believe the last one that could have knocked out all electrical activity on Earth was in the 1800’s before we had our lives ruled by technology.

Realistically speaking, the idea is more of a risk of loss of all power than the belief that the world will blow up.

Considering what that means to us today, no, I personally don’t take it lightly and I know that NASA is doing research into it.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=4685

I am just saying the “aw, nothing is gonna happen because ancient people were dumb” line doesn’t fit here. They weren’t stupid. They had the same brains as we do, just different experiences.

The loss of all satellites and power would fucking kill us. As a society. we literally depend on it to survive.

What is most amazing to me…is that NASA is just now admitting what some people thousands of years ago already figured out…our own solar cycle better than we understand it now.

NASA denied this was much of a risk at all until after 2008…while they continued planning for it with airlines and sattelites.

What is most amazing to me…is that NASA is just now admitting what some people thousands of years ago already figured out…our own solar cycle better than we understand it now.

NASA denied this was much of a risk at all until after 2008…while they continued planning for it with airlines and sattelites.[/quote]

And I have no doubt they (NASA) know a lot more shit than they’re letting us onto.