Topher Grace as Venom??

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
He would be a good Carnage because he is a scrawny weasel.[/quote]

Not to mention that he would look hilarious with the hair.

The general public has no concept of muscle or size. I heard a reporter talking about an NFL player say, “He once had the power to stop a 200 lb. running back!”. 200lb running back? That’s impressive in junior high.

The best part about Carnage is his real name: Cletus Kassidy! He should be in Spiderman 3 for that alone…

[quote]BrwnbellyYankee wrote:
this disgust me, whats next leonardo dicaprio playing Thor.[/quote]

YOU FOOL!!! Don’t give them ideas!

Like I said I think Hollywood has something against muscles in general but thats not why I’m against Topher as Venom. Venom is a complete badass and Topher comes off as a pussy in every sense of the word. You don’t have to look exactly like a charactor to pull it off. Wolverine is 5’3,Hugh Jackman is 6’2. Thats why I’m holding out hope for this new Superman movie. Christopher Reeves wasn’t massive but if you don’t think he personified the man of Steel I suggest you actually read a few comics.

Topher Grace as Venom works for me.

Think about the origins of Spiderman. Peter Parker was a skinny little geek before becoming Spiderman… Topher Grace is a skinny little geeky guy. The casting of Topher as Venom is an attempt to establish paralells between the characters of Venom and Spiderman.

Two skinny little guys… one is good, the other is bad. Peter Parker first rejects the Alien symbiote, but Eddie Brock accepts it. What makes them different? Sounds like a good movie setup to me.

Sam Raimi knows what he is doing.

Topher Grace as Venom doesn’t make much sense to me at all. Growing up reading Spiderman comics and watching the shows, Eddie Brock was always this huge muscle bound guy, not some scrawny little pussy.

But as most of you have said, it is typical of Hollywood to move away from the muscle. Rumors around have it that Keanu Reeves may be playing the role of Silver Surfer in the Fantastic Four Sequel. Silver Surfer was by no means this huge guy, but Keanue doesn’t fit the role IMO.

Here is a link to people’s responses to him getting the role and it just shows why Hollywood continues to make their metro-actor choices. http://www.cinematical.com/2006/02/20/keanu-reeves-playing-another-surfer

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
Rumors around have it that Keanu Reeves may be playing the role of Silver Surfer in the Fantastic Four Sequel. Silver Surfer was by no means this huge guy, but Keanue doesn’t fit the role IMO. http://www.cinematical.com/2006/02/20/keanu-reeves-playing-another-surfer[/quote]

yeah man i heard this earlier this week, one qestion… why?

Topher Grace is in the movie - that’s all we know for sure. It’s never been confirmed that he’s playing Venom.

With that said, http://spiderman.sonypictures.com/

[quote]BrwnbellyYankee wrote:
LevelHeaded wrote:
Rumors around have it that Keanu Reeves may be playing the role of Silver Surfer in the Fantastic Four Sequel. Silver Surfer was by no means this huge guy, but Keanue doesn’t fit the role IMO. http://www.cinematical.com/2006/02/20/keanu-reeves-playing-another-surfer

yeah man i heard this earlier this week, one qestion… why?[/quote]

I’m not a huge fan of Keanu(other than the Matrix and Constantine) but he’s a pretty well known comic book fan. It was heavily rumored during the first X-Men film that Keanu lobbied heavy to get in that movie to play Gambit. It was said that Bryan Singer had no desire to bring Gambit in. I’d rather have someone with passion for the role than someone who’s never heard of the Surfer before but is casted just because he might kinda look like him.

[quote]K-Narf wrote:
BrwnbellyYankee wrote:
LevelHeaded wrote:
Rumors around have it that Keanu Reeves may be playing the role of Silver Surfer in the Fantastic Four Sequel. Silver Surfer was by no means this huge guy, but Keanue doesn’t fit the role IMO. http://www.cinematical.com/2006/02/20/keanu-reeves-playing-another-surfer

I’m not a huge fan of Keanu(other than the Matrix and Constantine) but he’s a pretty well known comic book fan. It was heavily rumored during the first X-Men film that Keanu lobbied heavy to get in that movie to play Gambit. It was said that Bryan Singer had no desire to bring Gambit in. I’d rather have someone with passion for the role than someone who’s never heard of the Surfer before but is casted just because he might kinda look like him.[/quote]

I can see Keanu doing that. He isn’t that bad of an actor even though he seems to come across as the same character in everything from The Matrix to Constantine. Either way, he pulled off Constantine in my opinion. I just don’t get ignoring that Brock was HUGE. Hell, even in the cartoons as a kid he was lifting weights.

[quote]irishrock wrote:
Any engineer worth his salt will tell you correlation is not necessarily causality. The Rock’s movies haven’t done well because they suck and because he’s a piece of wood in front of the camera- not because he’s muscular.

Having written that- I agree with the sentiment that it is nauseating to see one scrawny dude after another wearing a body suit because they can’t bulk up.

I wonder what the teens of today will look like when they hit their late 30’s and early forties. While a lot of us grew up with Lou Ferrigno, Arnold, and even Stallone as male role models- young males today are looking at Leo DiCaprio, Topher Grace, and Tobey McGuire. It’s a damn shame.

[/quote]

I DO NOT, I look up to guys like on the American Ice Skating team…

Kidding, no I look more up guys like Tate, Urlacher, Louie, etc.

[quote]m_mackenz wrote:
Topher Grace as Venom works for me.

Think about the origins of Spiderman. Peter Parker was a skinny little geek before becoming Spiderman… Topher Grace is a skinny little geeky guy. The casting of Topher as Venom is an attempt to establish paralells between the characters of Venom and Spiderman.
[/quote]

Why ignore the comic book history?

http://www.thekryptonian.com/showthread.php?t=5746

http://www.thekryptonian.com/showthread.php?t=5746

http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/venom.html

i heard a while back that Topher was the Chameleon, one of the O.G. villians.

As for the black suit- maybe some of you don’t recall, but Spiderman did wear a black suit that wasn’t the symbiote for a while. Venom came around in the early 90s, and the black suit was around in the late 80s if i’m not mistake (post Secret Wars 2 and the rejection of the Symbiote).

CSR

[quote]K-Narf wrote:
I’d rather have someone with passion for the role than someone who’s never heard of the Surfer before but is casted just because he might kinda look like him.[/quote]

Ben Affleck had a passion for his Daredevil role and lots of people weren’t happy with his performance (among other things with the movie). If it was up to me I’d rather have the best actor who looks at least somewhat like the character.

[quote]skrying wrote:
K-Narf wrote:
I’d rather have someone with passion for the role than someone who’s never heard of the Surfer before but is casted just because he might kinda look like him.

Ben Affleck had a passion for his Daredevil role and lots of people weren’t happy with his performance (among other things with the movie). If it was up to me I’d rather have the best actor who looks at least somewhat like the character.[/quote]

Daredevil was a train wreck. No one could have saved that movie. I thought the scene where him and Bullseye are fighting in the church was terrible CGI. The only parts that are worth a damn are Jennifer Garner and Michael Clark Duncun as Kingpin(honestly thought he stole the show even though it was a charactor thats nothing more than a fat poor mans Lex Luthor) Not to mention Michael Clarke Duncun looked fucking sweet. I was massive as hell and not fat.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
K-Narf wrote:
BrwnbellyYankee wrote:
LevelHeaded wrote:

I’m not a huge fan of Keanu(other than the Matrix and Constantine) but he’s a pretty well known comic book fan. It was heavily rumored during the first X-Men film that Keanu lobbied heavy to get in that movie to play Gambit. It was said that Bryan Singer had no desire to bring Gambit in. I’d rather have someone with passion for the role than someone who’s never heard of the Surfer before but is casted just because he might kinda look like him.

I can see Keanu doing that. He isn’t that bad of an actor even though he seems to come across as the same character in everything from The Matrix to Constantine. Either way, he pulled off Constantine in my opinion. I just don’t get ignoring that Brock was HUGE. Hell, even in the cartoons as a kid he was lifting weights.[/quote]

Yeah honestly I think Vin Diesel should play him. I think Vin is a terrible actor he looks like a Gremlin on steroids(add to the fact that people act like he’s huge when he’s not) The thing is that Eddie isn’t a charactor that needs depth. They basically need someone to play a thug.

Thomas Hayden Church is the Sandman.