Top Western Movies

Tombstone

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
WHAT???
No one…no one said the “Magnificent Seven” with Steve Mcqueen and Charles Bronson not to mention the others. One of the best.

Almost all of Clint Eastwoods movies except Paint Your Wagon.

Shane

The Duke is still the western King but his best was “Hondo”.[/quote]

I mentioned the Magnificent Seven. Go back and check.[/quote]

My bad on that. I had to be crazy to think that movie was left off.

The Searchers (1956) - John Wayne, with a young Natalie Wood. Directed by John Ford. This is a great movie, with the Duke at the height of his career.

Stagecoach (1939) - another John Ford classic. With John Wayne in one of his early starring roles, as The Ringo Kid. I really like this movie.

Rio Bravo (1959) - another John Wayne oater, directed by Howard Hawks. With Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Walter Brennan. Good story, worth watching. If you’ve seen The Shootist, there’s a brief bit in the opening scene that was taken from Rio Bravo, along with some of Wayne’s other vintage Western performances, to help explain the old gunfighter’s past.

[quote]marqcoig wrote:
Unforgiven by Clint Eastwood is one of the greatest movies I’ve ever seen. and if you like Magnificent Seven and like to read while you watch a movie, Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai was the Japanese film that inspired the American Western. Actually, Seven Samurai and a slew of other Samurai films from Japan were all “Westerns” in a sense; alot of Japanese film makers idolized guys like John Ford and made their films in very similar styles and story lines similar to American directors. I’d definately recommend Seven Samurai as well as Yojimbo (which inspired Leone’s A Fistfull of Dollars) and Sword of Doom.

Oh yeah, and Robert Altman’s McCabe & Mrs. Miller fuckin is a brilliant fuckin movie.[/quote]

I watched Seventh Samurai for the first time in high school and it is nothing short of excellent. I’ve always hoped someone with the talent would remake it (and do it justice).

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:

I watched Seventh Samurai for the first time in high school and it is nothing short of excellent. I’ve always hoped someone with the talent would remake it (and do it justice).[/quote]

nah, i love the old one too much to stomach a remake, unless they did it sort of like the Mag. 7 was done. that is, use the same storyline, but a different setting.

if you liked Seven Samurai definately check out Yojimbo! epic Samurai/Western, very funny, and Toshiro Mifune is in top form in that film! Criterion Collection has wonderful DVD prints of both.

Already mentioned:
High Noon
Silverado
Wild Bunch
Fistful of Dollars (where Clint says “I don’t think it’s nice, you laughin’. You see, my mule don’t like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you’re laughin’ at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you’re going to, I might convince him that you really didn’t mean it.”)

Not mentioned:
The Professionals (Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster)

Bah, Westerns are terrible! Just kidding, sort of :stuck_out_tongue: Except for Deadwood, but that’s not a movie. But it was excellent.

I gotta throw DeadWood the HBO series, on this list. II like a lot of the movies listed on here, but in my opinion none even touch DeadWood…Damn I wish they would have had more than 2 seasons.

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:
I gotta throw DeadWood the HBO series, on this list. II like a lot of the movies listed on here, but in my opinion none even touch DeadWood…Damn I wish they would have had more than 2 seasons.[/quote]

“Anyone who disagrees with that sucks cock by choice!!!” “HEAR HEAR”

To get back on topic:

^
|
Getting back on topic.

Ohhh this one for Wol…

Ok, that’s all I have to say about Deadwood. =D

Less cursing, better characters, better setting, better music, and more substance.

And more bad ass!

[quote]debraD wrote:
Ohhh this one for Wol…

Ok, that’s all I have to say about Deadwood. =D[/quote]

Well, at least he’s promoting pancakes.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Less cursing, better characters, better setting, better music, and more substance.

And more bad ass![/quote]

No fucking contest!

The Cowboys

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

And more bad ass![/quote]

No fucking contest!

[/quote]

You’re right. No contest. This fat guy circle jerk in the mud loses to Movie Westerns hands down.

This isn’t even the scene I wanted. I originally wanted to post where Wyatt Earp storms the river bank, even though he’s trapped in crossfire by the Curly Bill and his gang.