Top Western Movies

I have never really seen any westerns other than Tombstone and was wondering what you all though were the best.

Tombstone…'nough said. All of the Clint Eastwood movies are very good. Once Upon a Time in the West is pretty damn good, Dances With Wolves is good. Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford is kind of a Western, damn good film. A lot of the newer stuff is complete shit, IMO. Hated Apaloosa, not that impressed with 3:10 to Yuma. Do yourself a favor and go rent:

The Good The Bad and The Ugly
A Fistfull of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
Hang 'Em High

I really don’t think its possible for a Western to ever be better than Tombstone though.

Those are some very good movies, as are, in my opinion:

Unforgiven
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
Young Guns

Tombstone is not the best, but one of the best.

John Wayne:
-Rooster Cogburn
-The Shootist
-True Grit

Clint Eastwood:
-High Plains Drifter
-Two mules for sister sara
-Outlaw Josey Wales
-Pale Rider
-Unforgiven
-Man with no Name Trilogy(Fist full of Dollars, A few dollars more, and The Good, The Bad, The Ugly)

Random Westerns:
-Posse(Because not all Cowboys were fucking white)
-Tombstone(Of course)
-3:10 to Yuma(the Re-make with Bale and Russel)
-Open Range
-Magnificent Seven(which is a remake of a japanese film)

And finally:

Once Upon a Time in the West(Charles Bronson FTW!)

The Good The Bad and The Ugly. It was mentioned but needs to be repeated. Best spaghetti Western ever. God Westerns kick so much ass.

The. Wild. Bunch.

You prick Wol, you took all the good ones.

The man who shot liberty valence. Lee Marvin made some good dusters. True Grit was on lastnight

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

The man who shot liberty valence. Lee Marvin made some good dusters. True Grit was on lastnight [/quote]

Sorry, Dude. I watched a lot of Westerns as a kid.

Lonesome Dove! Another bad ass Western series I watched recently!

I’m going to go on a limb here and add El Topo to the list. La vengancia es dulce…

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

The man who shot liberty valence. Lee Marvin made some good dusters. True Grit was on lastnight [/quote]

Sorry, Dude. I watched a lot of Westerns as a kid.

[/quote]

Yeah, you pretty much hit them all.

Tombstone and Posse were all adolescent masturbatory fodder for me, and Once Upon a Time in the West was sheer brilliance.

High Noon

McCabe & Mrs. Miller ( kind of a neo western, I group it with 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford)

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Geronimo: American Legend

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. One of my favorite films ever, and one of the best “buddy” films ever. Just a great guy film.

El Dorado, Silverado are both good

Once you’ve seen the man with no name series the Trinity series is hilarious. It’s a spoof and they do an excellent job.

Honorable mention: Blazing Saddles by Mel Brooks

WHAT???
No one…no one said the “Magnificent Seven” with Steve Mcqueen and Charles Bronson not to mention the others. One of the best.

Almost all of Clint Eastwoods movies except Paint Your Wagon.

Shane

The Duke is still the western King but his best was “Hondo”.

Oh and yes to whoever said The Wild Bunch! classic violence

[quote]four60 wrote:
WHAT???
No one…no one said the “Magnificent Seven” with Steve Mcqueen and Charles Bronson not to mention the others. One of the best.

Almost all of Clint Eastwoods movies except Paint Your Wagon.

Shane

The Duke is still the western King but his best was “Hondo”.[/quote]

I mentioned the Magnificent Seven. Go back and check.

Unforgiven by Clint Eastwood is one of the greatest movies I’ve ever seen. and if you like Magnificent Seven and like to read while you watch a movie, Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai was the Japanese film that inspired the American Western. Actually, Seven Samurai and a slew of other Samurai films from Japan were all “Westerns” in a sense; alot of Japanese film makers idolized guys like John Ford and made their films in very similar styles and story lines similar to American directors. I’d definately recommend Seven Samurai as well as Yojimbo (which inspired Leone’s A Fistfull of Dollars) and Sword of Doom.

Oh yeah, and Robert Altman’s McCabe & Mrs. Miller fuckin is a brilliant fuckin movie.

[quote]marqcoig wrote:
Unforgiven by Clint Eastwood is one of the greatest movies I’ve ever seen. and if you like Magnificent Seven and like to read while you watch a movie, Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai was the Japanese film that inspired the American Western. Actually, Seven Samurai and a slew of other Samurai films from Japan were all “Westerns” in a sense; alot of Japanese film makers idolized guys like John Ford and made their films in very similar styles and story lines similar to American directors. I’d definately recommend Seven Samurai as well as Yojimbo (which inspired Leone’s A Fistfull of Dollars) and Sword of Doom.

Oh yeah, and Robert Altman’s McCabe & Mrs. Miller fuckin is a brilliant fuckin movie.[/quote]

Christ, i need to slow down or not drink coffee while i post. if i didn’t know i hadn’t had a drink in two weeks, i’d say i was drunk when i wrote that. i’m not an idiot, apparently i’ve just got ADD