Top Tier Grapplers of Today

This post is to see people’s pick for top tier grapplers of today and currently competing.
More specifically in the areas MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Submission Wrestling, and other competitive styles that involve submission as a main objective or route to win. Also the grappler’s tap out wins needs to be take for account to before you post, but it seems redundant for me tell you guys.

My choices are:

Marcelo Garcia(my favorite), Antonio Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira, Roger Gracie, Fedor Emelianenko, Jacare, Roger Gracie, Kyra Gracie, Megumi Fujii, Shinya Aoki and others that I cant remember.

oh yeah fuck i forgot the Gracie Hunter and IQ wrestler Kazushi Sakuraba

Roger Gracie, Xande Ribeiro, Marcelo Garcia and Fabricio Verdum.

Marcelo’s probably my favorite, but here’s a couple more.

Vitor Ribeiro:

Xande and Saulo:

I hate his MMA style but Jeff “The Snowman” Monson has to be mentioned. Fabricio Werdum as well.

Marcelo’s tha man. I like Jacare as well and also throw BJ Penn into the mix as well.

Shinya Aoki, Genki sudo, Jeff Monson (who i saw at K-10 ground clash), Roger gracie ,Marcelo Garcia, Josh barnett. Rhadi Fergusson could be awesome if he had come to sub grappling earlier but hes getting long in the tooth.

Results to the 2007 ADCC

Surprising results:
http://www.bjj.eu.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=648

oh yeah not many people no this but ricardo arona is undefeated in ADCC, for real. check this out at the ADCC website.

From pure submission grappling perspective, I think Marcelo and Jacare are the best out there. Applying it to MMA? Fedor, BJ Penn, Big Nog, Aoki, and Barnett (especially from the top).

It’s hard to compare straight submission grappling to MMA, a guy like Noguiera isn’t really a top tier pure grappler but because he’s willing to take monstrous punch damage to get the sub he’s way more effective at getting taps than guys with more grappling cred.

Eddie Bravo check out his book at

He’s also got a DVD coming out in a month and a half

Roger Gracie, Xande Ribeiro, Marcelo Garcia and Fabricio Verdum

^^Those 4 in rotation for the next 5 years or so… mike fowler will be in the top 4 soon as well.

I have his autograph goofy smile

[quote]wolf54 wrote:
oh yeah not many people no this but ricardo arona is undefeated in ADCC, for real. check this out at the ADCC website.[/quote]

…shit ur right i didn’t know that

Ey, what about Jon Olav Einemo? :smiley:

VIKING POWER!

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Roger Gracie, Xande Ribeiro, Marcelo Garcia and Fabricio Verdum

^^Those 4 in rotation for the next 5 years or so… mike fowler will be in the top 4 soon as well.

I have his autograph goofy smile[/quote]

fowler seems to do better in Gi than no gi, id love to see roger gracie come across arona or monson their lay and pray style might stifle gracie.

"Ricardo Arona is currently being hospitalized with another round of symptoms from Dengue fever, the same illness that Arona contracted just before PRIDE 34. Because of this, Arona was forced to pull out of next weekend?s 2007 ADCC Championships. "

Arona was set to compete against roger in the superfight, this is possibly also why Arona lost to Soko (not to take anything away from his win)

Andre Galvao, Leo Viera, Rani Yahra, Baret Yoshida, Jeff Glover, Robert Drysdale, Demian Maia, Braulio Estima, Flavio Almeida are all great too.

Lovato, Jr is the best American with a gi, bar none, no contest. The crazy thing is he is only 23 (almost 24), he’s Saulo and Xande’s protoge, imagine how good he’ll be at 30!