Top Supplements?

Hi, how are you guys?

I’m 21 years old. I have been lifting a few years, but not great gains.

I would like to take some supplements to try and speed things up.

I already use creatine.

What else is good?

Now that prohormones have been banned, what else is there to take?

Thanks

[quote]madmaxs wrote:
Hi, how are you guys?

I already use creatine.

What else is good?

Thanks
[/quote]

Come on man

This has to be one of the most overplayed records here.

How about you eat some food and lift something heavy.

Look up some of the ‘diets’ on site.

Look up some of the lifting programs on site.

Take your creatine. Have a protein shake for convenience and PWO.

You’re 21! You have all you need surging through your body right this very minute. Put it to good use.

I agree wih sas… to a point.

I say if you are not getting gains then you need to first address what and how much you are eating, also training and rest/recovery. Get thes in order and then sure add supplements. In your case I would say for Sure Grow! and Surge should be in the diet, well hell for anyone.

After that Id look at ZMA, Carbolin 19 and Methoxy-7 in your case.

Read up and fire back any further ?'s

Phill

I was asking similar questions and found great information using the search feature.

I personally have used:

NO-Xplode
Many different Whey Proteins
CLA
Fishoils
ZMA
various fat burners …

To gain healthy weight: #1:eat plenty of foods like steak,chicken breast,oatmeal,whole milk,cottage cheese,lean beef,ham,fish,fruits,veggies,yams,eggs,pork,peanut butter,whole grain/wheat bread,brown rice,protein shakes.You get the picture. #2: make sure you take in more calories than you can burn(so your muscles have something to build on). #3:Stop the cardio…lol. #4:Lift as heavy as you can!! #5: Use more compound exercises(bench press,squats,dead lifts,etc.). #6:Aim for,atleast,one gram of protien per pound.If I’m 180 pounds,I’ll try to get in,atleast,180-200 grams of protein a day. #7:Eat every 2-3 hours(protein,good fats,and carbs).You want to keep your body in an anobolic state. #8:Don’t workout too much or your muscle tissue will BREAK DOWN. I spend no more than 3,sometimes 4,days in the gym each week;no more than 50 minutes to an hour at a time.Most people think I spend 6 days in the gym,lol. #9: Eat plenty of GOOD fats. #10: Make sure you know your goal.Can’t build a hosue without a blue print.Can’t follow a good plan without taking time to think what your goals are,how you’re gonna get there,and how you’re gonna keep your workouts interesting. #11: Stay MOTIVATED!!! Keep that picture in your head.Stay motivated and take your time! Don’t rush through ANYTHING! Once you have all 11 in place,use some good supplements.I use whey and casein protein powders,NO explode,and organic coconut oil/flaxseed oil. Oh,and get plenty of REST! Good luck man.Remember: Eat,lift,rest,eat,lift,rest,eat,lift,rest,and repeat!

Assuming you are a male, try this formula

66 + (13.7 * weight in KG) + (5 * height in cm) - (6.8 * age)

That will give you a number. Multiply that number by 1.6 or 1.8 depending on activity and that is how many calories (at least) you need to be eating EVERY day, EVERY week. This number will change as you gain weight so reeluate yourself often.

Supplements are what you take one you have your diet and training down pat, not before to make up for it.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Assuming you are a male, try this formula

66 + (13.7 * weight in KG) + (5 * height in cm) - (6.8 * age)

That will give you a number. Multiply that number by 1.2 and that is how many calories (at least) you need to be eating EVERY day, EVERY week. This number will change as you gain weight so reeluate yourself often.

Supplements are what you take one you have your diet and training down pat, not before to make up for it.[/quote]

Come on.

Can you complicate this shit any more? First and foremost NO–NO formula is spot on so why go through that crap.
Second, and I know you say you do, who tracks their diet to the frickin’ pea which is what you’d have to do to take advantage of a ‘formula’ like that
Third, he’s 21 and looking to add mass.

#1 has to be training
#2 is eating
#3 is everything else bunched together
-rest/recovery/supps…

Look for a program that works with higher weights and lower reps-(assuming you have at least 1 solid year under your belt)

Find a nutritional program that you can follow given your parameters. Personally at that age I’d just eat. Don’t worry about spot on clean, you can adjust that as you go. I’d just eat-milk,meat,oatmeal,dark bread,peanut butter…EAT

Learn what works for you. Get plenty of rest. Wow-look at you–you’re growing!

[quote]madmaxs wrote:
Hi, how are you guys?

I already use creatine.

What else is good?

Thanks
[/quote]

Sounds like eating and training issues.

How about you use Westside training and John Berardi’s “Massive Eating” plan.

You’ll be big and strong in no time!

Hi,

I think part of the problem is that I box 2X per week and then run another 2X times per week for four miles… I can’t stop running and boxing b/c it’s my sport.

I was planning on changing my diet to eating between 25-800 calories per day, with about 10% from fat.

Does this seem too little?

By the way, I want to gain muscle, but not fat – I’ll sacrifice gaining a little muscle to keep the fat level down.

Thanks

well son

it’s hard to be gentle with you, but I’ll try.

Look at a large amount of boxers and tell me they have much of a problem adding muscle. To gain muscle with low fat gain is very difficult. Most would choose to do it in steps. Add 15 lbs with half fat half muscle then cut down a bit. Continue this cycle 'till you meet your goal.

Certainly with that amount of activity you will need to consume alot of cals. to add weight and any appreciable muscle. Do not be afraid to eat. Youi’ll probably have to supplement with protein and olive and fish oil. Don’t be afraid of fat. Good fat will be vital for the development you desire.

Id say yes to both depending on your weight. Top little fat for sure id go for 30% of so fats are crutial, read these.

Fat Roundtable I&II
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461947
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461093

among others.

The intake running boxing and lifting, Then only 2500-2800 k/cals I think is what your saying. Thats not enough to maintian optimal body function and weight let alone gain.

Id look at your diet before ALL else.

Hope that helps,
Phill

Now do you see why I complicated things? This kid thinks he’s going to get big on 2500 calories? Thats a freakin cutting diet. I agree that the formula might not be spot on (i actually forgot one important part of it), but it gives you a general idea of what to be eating. If it says 3000 and you try it and dont gain weight, at leat you know where you need to go up from.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Now do you see why I complicated things? This kid thinks he’s going to get big on 2500 calories? Thats a freakin cutting diet. I agree that the formula might not be spot on (i actually forgot one important part of it), but it gives you a general idea of what to be eating. If it says 3000 and you try it and dont gain weight, at leat you know where you need to go up from. [/quote]

2,500 is cutting?Some guys go to 1,800 and 1,900.It depends on your weight and stuff.

The guy boxes twice a week and runs 8 miles a week, no way 2,500 will be anything but a weight loss diet for this type of activity.

Yeah,I was just saying in general.Someone who exercises that much would need much more than 2,500.Kinda makes it harder to keep control with all the cardio.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
The guy boxes twice a week and runs 8 miles a week, no way 2,500 will be anything but a weight loss diet for this type of activity.[/quote]

Hi,

I only weight about 155, so I thought around 25-2800 would be sufficient based on the formula which consists of:

-Multplying body weight X 10
-adding 30% of that number for my metabolic rate (only 30% b/c I just sit around all day when I’m not working out)
-adding 400 calories to gain weight.

Which equals about 25-2800.

Thank you for all the responses!

sasquatch hit the nail on the head. I’ll add that you don’t need any supplement other than a good protein powder like Grow!

1. Eat (plenty)
  2. Lift (heavy)
  3. Sleep (Steady)

Running and boxing 2x a week won’t kill your lifting unless you sacrifice lifting time for the other activities.

I run 3x a week and grapple 2-3x a week. I make plenty of time to lift and my gains are good. The only tradeoff I made is flexibility for strength/size. Your trade off will be hand speed for strength/size.

The other guys here are right. It sound like traing and diet issues.

[quote]madmaxs wrote:
Hi,

I think part of the problem is that I box 2X per week and then run another 2X times per week for four miles… I can’t stop running and boxing b/c it’s my sport.

I was planning on changing my diet to eating between 25-800 calories per day, with about 10% from fat.

Does this seem too little?

By the way, I want to gain muscle, but not fat – I’ll sacrifice gaining a little muscle to keep the fat level down.

Thanks[/quote]