Top Half Front Squats

Hey Coach, how useful do you think is training the THFS for powerlifting?

Many people seem to like doing full FS for PLing, but I struggle to keep a proper upright position through the full rom on most days. After trying it again and again, I decided that they are not worth it for me for reasons of training economy (best FS is 155kg). However, I thought that THFS could be a good alternative to full FS, since they don’t involve mobility/pain issues and you can go heavy.

I worked up to 2x190kg yesterday and they “felt” useful (also sore abs today), but would like to hear an expert’s opinion.

Cheers.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

Many people seem to like doing full FS for PLing, but I struggle to keep a proper upright position through the full rom on most days. After trying it again and again, I decided that they are not worth it for me for reasons of training economy (best FS is 155kg). However, I thought that THFS could be a good alternative to full FS, since they don’t involve mobility/pain issues and you can go heavy.

I worked up to 2x190kg yesterday and they “felt” useful (also sore abs today), but would like to hear an expert’s opinion.

Cheers.

The only benefits for the powerlifter are strengthening the core and the capacity to maintain a solid upper back during squat. It is not a very high-yield exercise for powerlifting. The biggest use is mostly for olympic lifts wanting to improve their jerk. In fact there is a lot more transfer from this movement to things like push presses and power jerks than to powerlifting squats.

CT: If focusing on the Muscle Snatch (Wide Snatch-Grip Continuous Clean and Press) would you recommend the Top Half Front Squat as well? Or should I just stick with the Paused A2G Front Squats that I have been doing? Thank you.

[quote]Ricochet wrote:
CT: If focusing on the Muscle Snatch (Wide Snatch-Grip Continuous Clean and Press) would you recommend the Top Half Front Squat as well? Or should I just stick with the Paused A2G Front Squats that I have been doing? Thank you.[/quote]

the top half front squat is an auxiliary exercise to an auxiliary exercise. It is to solve a very specific issue. 95% of the people on this forum shouldn’t even ask whether they should add it to their program.

Understood. Full ROM for me then! Appreciate the response.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

Cheers.
[/quote]

The only benefits for the powerlifter are strengthening the core and the capacity to maintain a solid upper back during squat. It is not a very high-yield exercise for powerlifting.[/quote]

Would you have PLers train the core with accessory exercises at all? If so, what exercises? Roll-outs?

Thanks.