T Nation

Top Half Front Squats

Hey Coach, how useful do you think is training the THFS for powerlifting?

Many people seem to like doing full FS for PLing, but I struggle to keep a proper upright position through the full rom on most days. After trying it again and again, I decided that they are not worth it for me for reasons of training economy (best FS is 155kg). However, I thought that THFS could be a good alternative to full FS, since they don't involve mobility/pain issues and you can go heavy.

I worked up to 2x190kg yesterday and they "felt" useful (also sore abs today), but would like to hear an expert's opinion.

Cheers.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

Many people seem to like doing full FS for PLing, but I struggle to keep a proper upright position through the full rom on most days. After trying it again and again, I decided that they are not worth it for me for reasons of training economy (best FS is 155kg). However, I thought that THFS could be a good alternative to full FS, since they don’t involve mobility/pain issues and you can go heavy.

I worked up to 2x190kg yesterday and they “felt” useful (also sore abs today), but would like to hear an expert’s opinion.

Cheers.

http://youtu.be/vahGfzogTC8[/quote]

The only benefits for the powerlifter are strengthening the core and the capacity to maintain a solid upper back during squat. It is not a very high-yield exercise for powerlifting. The biggest use is mostly for olympic lifts wanting to improve their jerk. In fact there is a lot more transfer from this movement to things like push presses and power jerks than to powerlifting squats.

CT: If focusing on the Muscle Snatch (Wide Snatch-Grip Continuous Clean and Press) would you recommend the Top Half Front Squat as well? Or should I just stick with the Paused A2G Front Squats that I have been doing? Thank you.

[quote]Ricochet wrote:
CT: If focusing on the Muscle Snatch (Wide Snatch-Grip Continuous Clean and Press) would you recommend the Top Half Front Squat as well? Or should I just stick with the Paused A2G Front Squats that I have been doing? Thank you.[/quote]

the top half front squat is an auxiliary exercise to an auxiliary exercise. It is to solve a very specific issue. 95% of the people on this forum shouldn’t even ask whether they should add it to their program.

Understood. Full ROM for me then! Appreciate the response.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

Many people seem to like doing full FS for PLing, but I struggle to keep a proper upright position through the full rom on most days. After trying it again and again, I decided that they are not worth it for me for reasons of training economy (best FS is 155kg). However, I thought that THFS could be a good alternative to full FS, since they don’t involve mobility/pain issues and you can go heavy.

I worked up to 2x190kg yesterday and they “felt” useful (also sore abs today), but would like to hear an expert’s opinion.

Cheers.
[/quote]

The only benefits for the powerlifter are strengthening the core and the capacity to maintain a solid upper back during squat. It is not a very high-yield exercise for powerlifting.[/quote]

Would you have PLers train the core with accessory exercises at all? If so, what exercises? Roll-outs?

Thanks.