Top Carbohydrate Choice

[quote]ktennies wrote:
elusive wrote:
Oatmeal. Low G.I, easy to make, very affordable (rolled oats), mixes well with other things (like Met. Drive). If I had to pick one carb, that’d be it.

i have read that rolled oats actually have a fairly high gi, so (in addition) i have been buying steel cut oats and quinoa from the bulk foods section of my local winco. i also like brown rice and sweet potatoes.

i usually only eat rolled oats in the morning with breakfast, or with my first solid pwo meal.

anyway, back to the subject, those (along with green vegetables as often as possible and a variety of fruits) are my top carbohydrate choices.[/quote]

According to http://www.glycemicindex.com/ rolled oats come in somewhere around the same as quinoa

[quote]atg410 wrote:
ktennies wrote:
elusive wrote:
Oatmeal. Low G.I, easy to make, very affordable (rolled oats), mixes well with other things (like Met. Drive). If I had to pick one carb, that’d be it.

i have read that rolled oats actually have a fairly high gi, so (in addition) i have been buying steel cut oats and quinoa from the bulk foods section of my local winco. i also like brown rice and sweet potatoes.

i usually only eat rolled oats in the morning with breakfast, or with my first solid pwo meal.

anyway, back to the subject, those (along with green vegetables as often as possible and a variety of fruits) are my top carbohydrate choices.

According to http://www.glycemicindex.com/ rolled oats come in somewhere around the same as quinoa[/quote]

actually that link says steel cut oats, not rolled, have a g.i. of 52. they assign quinoa = 53

rolled oats apparently can vary quite a bit , all of them higher:

Porridge Raw Rolled Oats = 58
Porridge Raw Rolled Oats Australia = 58
Porridge Raw Rolled Oats Canada = 62
Porridge Raw Rolled Oats USA = 75 !!!
Quick Oats Instant = 65
One Minute Oats = 66

there were even more results than the few i just posted.

that is a great link btw. they’ve tested actual brand names and pretty much list them all.

[quote]swivel wrote:
atg410 wrote:
ktennies wrote:
elusive wrote:

anyway, back to the subject, those (along with green vegetables as often as possible and a variety of fruits) are my top carbohydrate choices.

According to http://www.glycemicindex.com/ rolled oats come in somewhere around the same as quinoa

actually that link says steel cut oats, not rolled, have a g.i. of 52. they assign quinoa = 53

rolled oats apparently can vary quite a bit , all of them higher:

Porridge Raw Rolled Oats = 58
Porridge Raw Rolled Oats Australia = 58
Porridge Raw Rolled Oats Canada = 62
Porridge Raw Rolled Oats USA = 75 !!!
Quick Oats Instant = 65
One Minute Oats = 66

there were even more results than the few i just posted.

that is a great link btw. they’ve tested actual brand names and pretty much list them all.

[/quote]

Rolled oats go as low as 42 and as high as 75, I’m assuming the difference is in other ingredients added to “porridge made from raw rolled oats”. That said, yeah, that link is great, I just found it this morning :slight_smile:

[quote]atg410 wrote:
Rolled oats go as low as 42 and as high as 75, I’m assuming the difference is in other ingredients added to “porridge made from raw rolled oats”. That said, yeah, that link is great, I just found it this morning :slight_smile:
[/quote]

yeah i saw that lone 42 and it was so far off the mark of the others i discounted it…still you gotta wonder what accounts for it…must be in the processing. whatever they do i’d guess they are minimally “rolled” and retain alot of the bran and hull compared to the others. most definitely not pre-steamed and essentially pre-digested like the other, and higher gi, rolled oats.

For those interested in quinoa, check out quinoa FLAKES. When you cook them it is just like oatmeal. Add water and microwave. The natural flavor packets I buy have 32 g carbs, 7 g fiber, and 7 g protein and they also make them in a bag/tub so you can measure out exactly how much you want if you don’t want to buy the packets. Ingredients of the natural flavor is just quinoa.

I add some stevia and dump a bunch of cinammon in and it tastes great. I’m guessing it must be pretty low glycemic as well for those concerned about that.

Quinoa is superior nutritionally to oats, and has much more protein as well.

Sweet potatoes are great. Chick peas and black beans have an insanely good nutritional profile. These foods make me feel good no matter how much of them I eat. Can’t say the same for oats.

Consider this: the Food and Agriculture Organization and World Health Organization jointly recommend that national dietary guidelines set a goal of 55-75% of total energy from carbohydrates!

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
For those interested in quinoa, check out quinoa FLAKES. When you cook them it is just like oatmeal. Add water and microwave. The natural flavor packets I buy have 32 g carbs, 7 g fiber, and 7 g protein and they also make them in a bag/tub so you can measure out exactly how much you want if you don’t want to buy the packets. Ingredients of the natural flavor is just quinoa.

I add some stevia and dump a bunch of cinammon in and it tastes great. I’m guessing it must be pretty low glycemic as well for those concerned about that.[/quote]

i bet it’s tasty but why would you think it’s low gi…it’s been stripped of everything that makes it a “good carb” and made into a fast digesting FLAKE !

[quote]swivel wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

I add some stevia and dump a bunch of cinammon in and it tastes great. I’m guessing it must be pretty low glycemic as well for those concerned about that.

i bet it’s tasty but why would you think it’s low gi…it’s been stripped of everything that makes it a “good carb” and made into a fast digesting FLAKE !

[/quote]

No I think you are wrong. It has not been stripped of any nutrients at all. Look at the fiber, protein, and iron content.

http://altiplanogold.com/nutrition.html

Oats are about as cheap as it gets.

Quinoa is good too…

Fruits are my favorite carb source…
Then there is legumes,
did you know that “small red beans” not kidney beans, have the most antioxidants per serving than any other food,… Lots of fiber, protein, and complex carbs.

then I like my quinoa, sweet potatoes and POLENTA… i enjoy eating carbs :slight_smile:

Thanks people for all your help.

I have compilled a list so far of Carbohydrate rich food with a low GI for meals which do no include breakfast and postworkout and are CHEAP!!

THey are:

Quinoa
Raisins
Oatmeal/All Bran
Frozen Berries/Fruits/Vegetables

quit being so fuckin cheap.

oatmeal seems to be getting a bad rap around here lately but god damn it is delicious and like the other poster explained, it mixes well with protein

can’t beat sweet potatos. Cheap as dirt and their fucking natures crack. I sprinkle mine with a wee bit of splenda and baaim! it almost, kinda of, not really tastes like old mamy’s sweet potato pie.

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
swivel wrote:

No I think you are wrong. It has not been stripped of any nutrients at all. Look at the fiber, protein, and iron content.

[/quote]

my comment was about “gi” not “nutrients”.

glycemic index is the numerical rating of how quickly or slowly the sugars of different carbohydrates enter your blood, create insulin response, and clear your blood.

pretty much everything that had been “flaked” , which is essentially pre-digested by cooking in a heated and acidic mash then formed and dried, has a dramatically higher g.i. than in it’s raw state.

doesn’t look like anyone has done a g.i. on quinoa flakes yet so we don’t know for sure though.

[quote]swivel wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:
swivel wrote:

glycemic index is the numerical rating of how quickly or slowly the sugars of different carbohydrates enter your blood, create insulin response, and clear your blood.

pretty much everything that had been “flaked” , which is essentially pre-digested by cooking in a heated and acidic mash then formed and dried, has a dramatically higher g.i. than in it’s raw state.

doesn’t look like anyone has done a g.i. on quinoa flakes yet so we don’t know for sure though.

[/quote]

Gotcha, but with 7 grams of fiber in half a cup serving (double the amount in rolled oats), I am pretty sure it is extremely low glycemic as far as carbs go…

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
swivel wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:
swivel wrote:

Gotcha, but with 7 grams of fiber in half a cup serving (double the amount in rolled oats), I am pretty sure it is extremely low glycemic as far as carbs go…
[/quote]

why would you be “pretty sure” ?

it still seems like it’s up in the air to me…

is that soluble or insoluble fiber ?

[quote]swivel wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:
swivel wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:
swivel wrote:

why would you be “pretty sure” ?

it still seems like it’s up in the air to me…

is that soluble or insoluble fiber ?

[/quote]

It doesn’t specify but I would guess it is the same type found in most “grains” like oatmeal (soluble I think). But we are wasting our time arguing over such a small detail. It was just a suggestion for those looking for an alternative to oatmeal and who like the whole “hot cereal” thing but want to avoid wheat and gluten.

Whether its GI is 100 or 25 doesn’t really make a difference. It’s a healthy, high fiber carbb loaded with protein, fiber, and iron, and contains all of the essential amino acids (unlike any other grain).