Top Book Picks (Non-Training)

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
Freakanomics by Stephen Levitt

Anyone know the reason for the massive drop in the crime rate in the States throughout the 1990’s?

The legalization of abortion in 1973, read this book for more info.[/quote]

One mans opinion. I have seen this dismantled many times.

Most of it is due to aging of the babyboomers.

There are less young people today to commit crimes than there used to be.

Albert Camus - Stranger

Unforgettable Places to See Before you die by Steve Davey - great travel book
The Pig That Wants To Be Eaten: and Ninety Nine Other Thought Experiments by Julian Baggini

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Orbitalboner wrote:

Anyone know the reason for the massive drop in the crime rate in the States throughout the 1990’s?

The legalization of abortion in 1973, read this book for more info.

There are less young people today to commit crimes than there used to be.[/quote]

Who did the dismantling, Pat Robertson?

Hard to say it’s ‘one man’s opinion’ when he published his paper in 2001, successfully defended it against anti-abortion zealots, then won the John Bates Clark Medal for best economist under 40 in 2003.

Anyway I’d like to see you sum up this ‘dismantling’ you speak of, but maybe you should read his actual paper first?

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/reviews/books.htm

[quote]pookie wrote:
sinnaman18 wrote:
Anything by R.A. Salvatore… I am serious; this guy is consistently THE BEST fantasy writer.

-M

Drizzt Do’Urden struck me as being a little too perfect for my tastes.

Anyway, the question was for non-fiction books.[/quote]

I didn’t see the “non-fiction”, my bad.

Concerning Drizzt being too perfect however, I think the way that Salvatore weaves his stories is the real beauty of them. Even if you know that Drizzt will prevail in the end, the ‘journey’ is always worth it. Salvatore’s books are not one-sided either; his villains are just as intriguing as his heros, and there have been numerous novels in which main heroes have died.

Non Fiction books… I am currently reading Harry Lorayne’s Page-a-minute memory book which is quite good as well as Wess Roberts’ Leadership Secrets of Attila The Hun. The Way of A Warrior by John F. Gibey is also good so far (i’m not finished with it).

-M

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas by HST.
Read and re-read this book, and watch and re-watch the movie until you “understand”.
Will42

[quote]sinnaman18 wrote:
Concerning Drizzt being too perfect however, I think the way that Salvatore weaves his stories is the real beauty of them. Even if you know that Drizzt will prevail in the end, the ‘journey’ is always worth it. Salvatore’s books are not one-sided either; his villains are just as intriguing as his heros, and there have been numerous novels in which main heroes have died.[/quote]

I read the books and enjoyed them; I simply tend to like my protagonists a little more fallible. It’s been a while, but if I remember correctly, Drizzt’s worse character flaw was that if he got too angry, he’d go bezerk and totally destroy just about anything he was currently fighting. As far as flaws go, I’ve seen worse. :slight_smile:

Have you ever read the Belgariad series by David Eddings? I’ve got fond memories from those.

Leadership secrets of Attila? Do those involve killing disobeying underlings?

I’m currently reading James P. Hogan “Giant Novels” series. Hard sci-fi mixing some of evolution’s unanswered questions with the asteroid belt and the finding a of 50,000 year old astronaut on the moon. Very interesting scenario.

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sager

Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky

And I must thrown in one historical fiction:

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

the 48 laws of power by robert greene

“Guns, germs and steel” and “Collapse” by Jared Diamond.

I’ll second “Gates of Fire” by Steven Pressfield - its a T-book if I ever read one.

Damn…there are some smart muthas on this forum.

I know it ain’t non-fiction but my favorite book of all time is “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand.

Catch-22.

I don’t care if it’s fiction.

Read it.

Best. Book. Ever. (Maybe after 100 years of Solitude, but if you don’t read it in spanish you’re missing out).

The Philokalia, Volume 1

Chapter: On Watchfulness and Holiness

Agreed on 48 Laws of Power.

Also -

Naomi Klein’s “No Logo” is conceptually excellent…although a little long.

Oliver Sacks- “The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat” is an awesome collection of Neuro/Psychiatric patient stories. Also- this book holds the secret to what the guy says at the end of the Radiohead video for “Just” (If anyone remembers the twentieth century anymore)

Romeo Dallaire- “Shake Hands With the Devil.”
His account (as the head of the UN Task force in Rwanda) of the Genocide. He was techinically played by Nick Nolte in Hotel Rwanda, but Hollywood is so good at selectively focusing on tiny packets of marketable, marginally accurate information. The book is brilliant though

Have fun in Toronto… !

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Orbitalboner wrote:

The legalization of abortion in 1973, read this book for more info.

There are less young people today to commit crimes than there used to be.

Who did the dismantling, Pat Robertson?

Hard to say it’s ‘one man’s opinion’ when he published his paper in 2001, successfully defended it against anti-abortion zealots, then won the John Bates Clark Medal for best economist under 40 in 2003.

Anyway I’d like to see you sum up this ‘dismantling’ you speak of, but maybe you should read his actual paper first?[/quote]

Defending things against zealots is quite simple. Don’t read much into that.

Actually the articles I have read showed the drop in crime tracked most closely to the aging of the population.

The second most important thing in crime drop was growth of economy.

The abortion thing was on the list but it certainly was not of primary importance.

As I said I have seen it refuted a number of times. I don’t believe I have read Pat Robertson of any other zealots work on this subject.

I have not read Freakanomics yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Have to second the Hunter S. Thompson recommendations. Sad that he is gone…

“The Warrior Within” Philosphies of Bruce Lee.

Great book.

Non-fiction: Any mainstream book by Steven Hawking, also Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer