T Nation

Top Bodybuilders and Myostatin Gene

So i read the “Brain Blast Volume 4” article today and Charles Poliquin said “Thirteen guys out of the top twenty bodybuilders at the Olympia don’t have the myostatin gene that limits muscle growth.”

I was just curious if anybody has any insight as to the validity of this comment. Im also kinda curious in general about the “Myostatin Gene” anybody care to shed some light?

Just an excuse for peoples lack of accomplishment IMO.

I have done some reading awhile ago. If a person lacks the myostatin gene, which indeed does limit muscle growth, they tend to be leaner, more muscular and stronger. I have only heard of 2 reported cases and one is here in the U.S but is a small child. It has been bred into a dog known as a bully whippet and has been coined “double muscled”. It is also bred into certain cows but the name escapes me. The dogs and cows are muscular monsters though. As for the bodybuilders, I cannot say if it is true or not but it is a very rare genetic condition. I also believe there are two variations of the defect.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Just an excuse for peoples lack of accomplishment IMO. [/quote]

agreed

[quote]optheta wrote:
So i read the “Brain Blast Volume 4” article today and Charles Poliquin said “Thirteen guys out of the top twenty bodybuilders at the Olympia don’t have the myostatin gene that limits muscle growth.”

I was just curious if anybody has any insight as to the validity of this comment. Im also kinda curious in general about the “Myostatin Gene” anybody care to shed some light?[/quote]

false…not valid at all

I dont know how he would have gotten that information. Even if it was true, I would take more satisfaction in knowing 7 of the top 20 bodybuilders in the world did it without the help of the gene, so if they can go to the Olympia its not excuse for you to give up on that last set of lateral raises.

The statement, like many Poliquinisms, is hyper-exaggerated.

[quote]spdrman3 wrote:
I have done some reading awhile ago. If a person lacks the myostatin gene, which indeed does limit muscle growth, they tend to be leaner, more muscular and stronger. I have only heard of 2 reported cases and one is here in the U.S but is a small child. It has been bred into a dog known as a bully whippet and has been coined “double muscled”. It is also bred into certain cows but the name escapes me. The dogs and cows are muscular monsters though. As for the bodybuilders, I cannot say if it is true or not but it is a very rare genetic condition. I also believe there are two variations of the defect.[/quote]

The name of the cows was Belgian Blue, and yeah they were crazy looking.

As for the myostatin I remember reading years ago about Flex Wheeler having little or no myostatin gene, and there was quite a bit of publicity towards it. So this claim I doubt is valid.

It’s absolutely true. I hear these bodybuilders also all train with Poliquin’s speed skaters, you know, the ones who make Tom Platz’ legs look like Woody Allen’s.

[quote]counterfeitsoda wrote:
It’s absolutely true. I hear these bodybuilders also all train with Poliquin’s speed skaters, you know, the ones who make Tom Platz’ legs look like Woody Allen’s.[/quote]

hahahaha

[quote]counterfeitsoda wrote:
It’s absolutely true. I hear these bodybuilders also all train with Poliquin’s speed skaters, you know, the ones who make Tom Platz’ legs look like Woody Allen’s.[/quote]

LOL!!!

How does Charles Poliquin have access to 13 out of the 20 Mr. Olympia’s genetic material and a genetic testing lab and the funds to run the genetic tests?

Is Charles Poliquin a geneticists?

[quote]spdrman3 wrote:
I have done some reading awhile ago. If a person lacks the myostatin gene, which indeed does limit muscle growth, they tend to be leaner, more muscular and stronger. I have only heard of 2 reported cases and one is here in the U.S but is a small child. It has been bred into a dog known as a bully whippet and has been coined “double muscled”. It is also bred into certain cows but the name escapes me. The dogs and cows are muscular monsters though. As for the bodybuilders, I cannot say if it is true or not but it is a very rare genetic condition. I also believe there are two variations of the defect.[/quote]

this is pretty much it. 1 case has mutated copies of the gene producing a faulty protein. the other has defective receptors for the protein. there are only 2 reported cases of ‘“double-muscle” in humans. so charles’ statement is pure BS.

I don’t know what was the reason of that comment, if just informative or…mmmm. We know that pro bodybuilders have elite genetics, but it’s like saying “now it’s proved that you have even less chance”. This is no motivation for the guys in a site like this, because if we logged many of us have a very big goal and it should be supported by the likely instead of putting obstacles. Maybe it was purely informative, maybe it’s just me.

maybe he means a mutation in only one copy of the MSTN gene, which is supposedly more common. the only two cases is for people who have both messed up.

I think you have to take a lot of statements made in this field with a grain of salt. While I’m not in agreement that so many people are actually myostatin deficient, I do believe that they are all at the upper end of the spectrum in terms of their body’s natural tendency to put on and maintain a larger amount of muscle mass than the average joe. Of course, that’s really nothing new or shocking -lol

S

[quote]a soggy waffle wrote:
maybe he means a mutation in only one copy of the MSTN gene, which is supposedly more common. the only two cases is for people who have both messed up.
[/quote]

The German kid has a legitimate myostatin gene mutation. Hoekstra (the American boy) doesn’t, he has faulty myostatin receptors, which is different. It’s pretty obvious by looking at pictures of the two. So, technically there is only one verified case of it occuring in humans.