Top 80's Rock/Hair Bands

what about dokken y&t ?

Krokus?
Anyone mention Ted Nugent? He had some hair at one time though he probably started more in the 70’s but that dude could Rock!

Not a single mention of Jane’s Addiction?
They were sort of glam, while at the same time, they were the first nail in hair metal’s coffin.

Pioneers of the revolution.

First off, great thread. I love 70’, 80’s rock. Yes even some of the hair glam “crap” as some are calling it. I know that lame ass songs were created by the dozen by many crappy bands throughout the 80’s. However we can’t discount bands like Ratt, Motley Crue or even Poison to the likes of “crappy”. It was guys like Warren Demartini, Mick Mars, and C.C. Deville that helped solidify the era of metal guitar, complete with blazing guitar solos over simple metal rythms. These guys grew up listening to AC/DC, Hendrix etc. and obviously Eddie Van Halen had huge influence, if not creating a completely unique style, that many would try to emulate. Many of today’s rock guitarists would be lost trying to compete with the skill of these early guitar gods. Anyway, just saying that this stuff still kicks ass and I listen to it all the time, even in the weightroom. So long live rock guitar, and hot half naked women, and god bless the 80’s for opening our eyes.

i was fortunate to be in a somewhat successful band back in the 80’s.

we opened for bands like exodus,mod,dream theater,and wrathchild.

met loads of other bands like megadeth,overkill,death angel,testament,violence,circus of power,coc, and agnostic front.

got to be in a couple cool magazines like kerrang and blackthorn,and radio stations all over the world.

they were some good times.
these were bands i listened to.

fates warning
sepultura
death angel
slayer
voivod
motorhead
mercyful fate
watchtower
metallica
flotsam and jetsam
overkill
exodus
testament
armored saint
saxon
riot
judas priest
iron maiden
accept
celtic frost
king diamond
venom
rouge male
queensryche
kreator

I wouldn’t consider them a hair band… but anyone here like RUSH? They put on an amazing show for being just 3 guys.

[quote]LarryJr wrote:
I wouldn’t consider them a hair band… but anyone here like RUSH? They put on an amazing show for being just 3 guys.[/quote]

rush is an awesome band.
neil peart might be the greatest drummer of all time.

they’re a thinking mans band.

why does everyone keep bringing these old threads to life again?

On topic, RUSH is in my top 5 favorite bands. Peart was the reason I started playing drums 21 years ago.

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
Winger (that Kip Winger… he smolders)
[/quote]

As if this were not somehow predictable, Kip Winger holds a most special place in my heart.

I miss him so …

Dan

I’ve seen Rush 4 or 5 times in concert and the show they put on is just amazing. Even when non-Rush fans see them in concert they are in awe. I agree that the Professors drumming is some of the best.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
I think that you could take ANY member of ANY band you listed…and they would put Joey Ramone as perhaps “the” top influence of the “Sound” of the 80’s…

Mufasa
[/quote]

I still consider the Ramones to be my all time favourite band. I was lucky enough to see them live at the
Commodore Ballroom, in the late 70’s.
(or thereabouts, it’s all a blur now )

|/ 3Toes

I generally avoid the mainstream 80’s rock stuff, but lately I’ve gotten into

King’s X and

Savatage

Good stuff.

No one has mentioned Living Colour. Cult of Personality is one of the greatest songs ever written. They years ahead of their time, nad talk about hair - they could write a book.

[quote]havoc501 wrote:
i was fortunate to be in a somewhat successful band back in the 80’s.

we opened for bands like exodus,mod,dream theater,and wrathchild.

met loads of other bands like megadeth,overkill,death angel,testament,violence,circus of power,coc, and agnostic front.

got to be in a couple cool magazines like kerrang and blackthorn,and radio stations all over the world.

they were some good times.
these were bands i listened to.

fates warning
sepultura
death angel
slayer
voivod
motorhead
mercyful fate
watchtower
metallica
flotsam and jetsam
overkill
exodus
testament
armored saint
saxon
riot
judas priest
iron maiden
accept
celtic frost
king diamond
venom
rouge male
queensryche
kreator

[/quote]

All these bands are great!Oh Motorhead,Lemmy still kicks ass at 60 years young!

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
I just want to list a bunch of bands that I think kick ass, all from the 80’s and all from the era of Hair Bands/Rock, heregoes (in no particular, maybe alphabetical order)!

AC/DC
Alice Cooper
Billy Idol
Bon Jovi
Def Leppard
Guns N Roses
Joan Jett
Kenny Loggins (Danger Zone is Tops… Pun intended!)
Kiss
Motley Crue
Ozzy
Pat Benetar
Poison
Queen
Quiet Riot
Ratt
Sammy Hagar
Scorpions
Skid Row
Slaughter
Twisted Sister
Ugly Kid Joe
Van Halen
Warrent
Whitesnake

Did I leave anyone too important off this list?

Also, what’s everyone’s top songs from the era of BAMFS?[/quote]

The biggest hair band was Poison. Those fags wore make up and still sold over 10 million albums.

All I have to say is…

HOLY DIVAAA!!!

Hi guys,
Nobody has mentioned Nazareth, bloody good music
DC