Top 80's Rock/Hair Bands

Didn’t Twisted Sister actually start as a glam band and move into Hair Band in the 80s to help along their record sales?

Did anybody list Dio? How about the ultimate nod to the 80s, Tenacious D?

It was still pretty fun to watch 70s bands like KISS and Alice Cooper get the hair a little for the 80s.

I absolutely love the BONEYARD setting on the XM Satellite Radio and its sister stations on Music Choice!

[quote]driveblock wrote:
I absolutely love the BONEYARD setting on the XM Satellite Radio and its sister stations on Music Choice! [/quote]

That’s what my radio stays set on. It’s like all-80’s hair band all the time. Well I listen to Squizz as well, but for the most part it stays on Boneyard - much to the chagrin of my tee-aged kids.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
driveblock wrote:
I absolutely love the BONEYARD setting on the XM Satellite Radio and its sister stations on Music Choice!

That’s what my radio stays set on. It’s like all-80’s hair band all the time. Well I listen to Squizz as well, but for the most part it stays on Boneyard - much to the chagrin of my tee-aged kids.

[/quote]

And I thought you had 38 Special on a constant loop

I think it’s funny how people who are more or less into the metal sound all had to wave their pricks and say that the Hair/Rock Bands of back then sucked. I liked early Metallica (especially compared to new metallica), and they set the stage for a new sound, but this isn’t about that now is it? NOPE… it’s about rockin out to Bon Jovi (80’s rock is our pregamin music, it’s that good), so please, waive elsewhere.

I group AC/DC into the 80’s Rock because I distinctly remember listening to their NEW stuff back then when I was 7 and 8 years old (that money talks video, come on, priceless)! haha… sure beat listening to Hammer and Vanilla Ice (even though I admit that they were the shit to every first and second grader back then).

We all know AC/DC might as well be considered Rock gods, look at all of their tribute bands roaming the country. I consider myself fortunate to have even seen the real deal in concert, we had some ass kickin seats about 25 feet from the stage when AC/DC went on tour about 4 and a half years ago. What a good friggin concert, even if me and my friends were the youngest people there by 15 years, the music is the shit.

Speaking of awesome concerts, I was just curious if anyone has ever seen Hairbanger’s Ball? They’re a tribute band that I saw when I was out in Chicago last January that does everything hair/Rock related. If you’re from the midwest, you gotto check’em out.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
driveblock wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve been diggin’ Fred lately. It stays on Squizz quite a bit too…I don’t know how long you guys have had XM but they used to have an all death metal station…now that rocked. What a good way to wake up in the morning.

Kix, Air supply, DangerDanger, Firehouse.

Not really an 80’s band, but how many of you folks have heard Radio Birdman? Lead guitarist Deniz Tek is one of the most amazing guys on the planet. Ace rock guitarist, fighter pilot, top surgeon, is there anything this guy can’t do?

[quote]JMB wrote:
You forgot MANOWAR.[/quote]

Grab your loin cloth and head for the hills!!

Dokken rock.
Cinderella
Ratt - now they were cool
Celtic Frost
LA Guns was one of the best bands ever.
The Cult came a close second.

…and if you want to get really retarded, there is always Zodiac Mindwarp.

If you like Hair Metal Tribute bands, THIS IS THE BEST MOTHER F’ing BAND!!!

I know they look a bit dorky, but I actually know them and they are AWESOME!!!

Listen to their audio if you can.

Would just like to say that for years Dee Snider’s House of Hair radio show has been the most productive two hours of my week both academically and athletically.

I would add Accept (Balls to the Wall) and the ultimate hair band one hitter, Autograph (Turn up the Radio). I don’t remember, did anyone say Tesla yet?-the thinking man’s hair band. Oh yeah, and Night Ranger in case it wasn’t covered. And Damn Yankees. “Don’t you dare, don’t you tread on me…”

Hey Aerostallion, are you an Aerospace major? I was an AE.

[quote]starkmann wrote:
it’s not a real rock song until you actually call out each instrument as the go into a short and largely uninspired solo ala Poison[/quote]

“Hey CC pick up that guitar and taaalllk to me.”

Too funny, too funny.

I majored in Aerospace Engineering Sciences at CU, hence the screen name, now I’m graduated but still living in Boulder and living like a college kid and still goin to all the football games, it ain’t a bad life!

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
I majored in Aerospace Engineering Sciences at CU, hence the screen name, now I’m graduated but still living in Boulder and living like a college kid and still goin to all the football games, it ain’t a bad life![/quote]

Well good to meet you. I went to U of Missouri-Rolla, one of my professors came from CU. And there’s nothing wrong with perpetually living like a college kid.

Just looked at your avatar close up. That buffalo must be moving very quickly.

Even though its not the 80’s what about GWAR?

No way Motlue Crue qualifies as crappy. They have too many good songs and they’ve lasted a long time. Check out one of their Greatest Hits discs.

Poison I’d say was better than most of those crappy hair bands that were all one-hit wonders.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:

Wait, you can’t put metal in this. If that was the case, my choices would be different. He wanted opinions on “hair bands” a.k.a glam bands. Not metal. And I agree that AC/DC really shouldn’t be grouped in with the likes of Poison and Winger. Neither should Van Halen.

I agree and I think we might have to just define what a Hair Band is…Billy Idol AC/DC and Queen are definitely not hair bands.

Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue, Danger Danger, Bang Tango, White Lion, all hair bands. Very crappy at that.

Remember Billy Idol came from hard core punk…remember GEN X?
[/quote]

[quote]thabigdon24 wrote:
Even though its not the 80’s what about GWAR? [/quote]

Heh, yea, yea, Gwar!! Gwar rules.

Yeah, uh huh huh, Gwar kick ass. uh huh huh huh.

You shall edit your quote and remove Priest IMMEDIATELY from that list immediately

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
Some mentionalbles that I didn’t see…

Bullet-Boys
Cinderella
Winger (that Kip Winger… he smolders)
Dokken
Dio
Judas Priest
Bon motherfucking Jovi

Quick funny story… I was at a yard-sale about a month ago (saturday early morning ritual, something to do while the missus sleeps in) and had my dog with me. Well the yard-sale hostess, a typical soccer-mom type lady, was gushing over my dog (siberian husky) and started reminiscing about her own husky who had just passed away a year or so ago. I asked her what the dog’s name was and she said:

“Dokken… you know, like (throws up the devil horns and a mini-headbang) Dokken?”

I laughed and said, “yep, I know (threw my own devil horns) Dokken…”

I thought it was hilarious, the soccer moms of today used to be the slutty rocker girls of yesterday!

GAINER[/quote]

Ozzy is a metal god, why is he on your list of hair bands?

Gnr also were nowhere near being a glam band.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
I just want to list a bunch of bands that I think kick ass, all from the 80’s and all from the era of Hair Bands/Rock, heregoes (in no particular, maybe alphabetical order)!

AC/DC
Alice Cooper
Billy Idol
Bon Jovi
Def Leppard
Guns N Roses
Joan Jett
Kenny Loggins (Danger Zone is Tops… Pun intended!)
Kiss
Motley Crue
Ozzy
Pat Benetar
Poison
Queen
Quiet Riot
Ratt
Sammy Hagar
Scorpions
Skid Row
Slaughter
Twisted Sister
Ugly Kid Joe
Van Halen
Warrent
Whitesnake

Did I leave anyone too important off this list?

Also, what’s everyone’s top songs from the era of BAMFS?[/quote]

it says Hair/Rock, what the hell? They made the list, they are awesome, get over it. Nowhere did I mention that gay ass Glam crap.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
Ozzy is a metal god, why is he on your list of hair bands?

Gnr also were nowhere near being a glam band.

[/quote]

Watch the “Welcome to the Jungle” film clip. That is about as bad hair as you will see.