T Nation

Top 5 Favorite Metallica Songs

What are your top 5 favorite Metallica songs…not looking for the all time best but just what you consider to be your favorite?

Mine:

1. Unforgiven II
  2. Enter Sandman
  3. Until it Sleeps
  4. Redemption
  5. Unforgiven

No disrespect husker but how old are you? All of those songs are the reason Metallica has sucked for the last 10 years, especially enter sellout, I mean sandman.

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  3. Welcome home (sanatarium)
  4. Orion
  5. Seek and Destroy

[quote]dday wrote:
No disrespect husker but how old are you? All of those songs are the reason Metallica has sucked for the last 10 years, especially enter sellout, I mean sandman.

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  4. Orion
  5. Seek and Destroy[/quote]

Hilarious! Spot on analyisis dday.

I like your list, however I might add “For Whom the Bell Tolls” myself.

I believe this thread can officially end now.

Leper Messiah
The Four Horseman
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Master Of Puppets
One

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
dday wrote:

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  4. Orion
  5. Seek and Destroy

Hilarious! Spot on analyisis dday.

I like your list, however I might add “For Whom the Bell Tolls” myself.

I believe this thread can officially end now.[/quote]

Thanks! I seriously went back and forth between For Whom the Bell Tolls and Orion ended up with Orion just because it’s such a powerful song. Still a tough choice.

[quote]dday wrote:

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  4. Orion

How old do you have to be to like the songs the OP mentioned? I am in my middle 30’s and I like The Unforgiven II, The Memory Remains, No Leaf Clover, etc. better than the old stuff. No matter what Metallica you like better, they still write better material than anyone else out there IMO.

[quote]tootles27 wrote:
dday wrote:

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  4. Orion
  5. Seek and Destroy

How old do you have to be to like the songs the OP mentioned? I am in my middle 30’s and I like The Unforgiven II, The Memory Remains, No Leaf Clover, etc. better than the old stuff. No matter what Metallica you like better, they still write better material than anyone else out there IMO.[/quote]

At what point where you introduced to Metallica? What did you listen to before you heard Metallica? Sure you can like what ever you want to like but Metallica was started as a metal band and those of us who are metal heads and grew up on the original Metallica know the first 4 albums where among the best metal records ever written, everything after that was soft, pop metal, top 40 sell out music. I’m not saying I don’t like some of those songs the OP mentioned but when it comes to the best Metallica they aren’t in the top 30 songs.

None taken dday. Actually I would put for whom the bell tolls in my top 5 and take out unforgiven.

[quote]dday wrote:

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  4. Orion

You do realize that the cries of “sellout” began with your #2 on the list, fade to black, right?

My Top 5

1. One
  2. the LIVE VERSION of Creeping Death - totally different from the studio
  3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
  4. Sandman
  5. disposable heroes

wow, tough to cut that list down. THe first 3 came easily, then i started going, hmmmm, which would hurt their discography more if it just disappeared. I’d probably have 10 different versions of this list if I wrote it on 10 different days

I’d say 5 most underrated - as in not songs you immediately think of when you think of Metallica. Lost amongst the fact (well, I suppose it’s a matter of taste) that Metallica’s last 4 albums, top to bottom, arent as good as their first 5 (or some people would flip those numbers) is the fact that there are some pretty good songs in there

1. Disposable Heroes
  2. Bleeding Me
  3. Where the Wild Things Are
  4. The Unnamed Feeling (this one could probably even be a little higher)
  5. Eye of the Beholder

Lost amongst the fact (well, I suppose it’s a matter of taste) that Metallica’s last 4 albums, top to bottom, arent as good as their first 5 (or some people would flip those numbers) is the fact that there are some pretty good songs in there. #'s 2, 3, and 4 dont even include more recognizable songs like King Nothing or Devil’s Dance, to name just two

Welcome Home
Master of Puppets
Battery
Harvester of Sorrow
Creeping Death

[quote]tootles27 wrote:
dday wrote:

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  4. Orion
  5. Seek and Destroy

How old do you have to be to like the songs the OP mentioned? I am in my middle 30’s and I like The Unforgiven II, The Memory Remains, No Leaf Clover, etc. better than the old stuff. No matter what Metallica you like better, they still write better material than anyone else out there IMO.[/quote]

You are about the same age as my brother and he likes gay Metallica better too.

Jump In The Fire

Fade to Black

Whiplash

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Don’t Tread On Me

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
dday wrote:

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  4. Orion
  5. Seek and Destroy

You do realize that the crys of “sellout” began with your #2 on the list, fade to black, right?

My Top 5

1. One
  2. the LIVE VERSION of Creeping Death - totally different from the studio
  3. For Whom the Bell Tolls
  4. Sandman
  5. disposable heroes

wow, tough to cut that list down. THe first 3 came easily, then i started going, hmmmm, which would hurt their discography more if it just disappeared. I’d probably have 10 different versions of this list if I wrote it on 10 different days

I’d say 5 most underrated - as in not songs you immediately think of when you think of Metallica. Lost amongst the fact (well, I suppose it’s a matter of taste) that Metallica’s last 4 albums, top to bottom, arent as good as their first 5 (or some people would flip those numbers) is the fact that there are some pretty good songs in there

1. Disposable Heroes
  2. Bleeding Me
  3. Where the Wild Things Are
  4. The Unnamed Feeling (this one could probably even be a little higher)
  5. Eye of the Beholder

Lost amongst the fact (well, I suppose it’s a matter of taste) that Metallica’s last 4 albums, top to bottom, arent as good as their first 5 (or some people would flip those numbers) is the fact that there are some pretty good songs in there. #'s 2, 3, and 4 dont even include more recognizable songs like King Nothing or Devil’s Dance, to name just two
[/quote]

IMO, if Metallica would have released every album from Black to St.Anger as a different band name they’d have been very good albums. Well not St.Anger, that was an awful album regardless. There are some great songs on those albums but they do not belong in Metallicas top 5 of all time.
As far as fade to black being the beginning of the sell out, I had never heard that but then again there are lots of things I haven’t heard.

Hit the lights
Motorbreath
Disposable Heroes
Seek and Destroy
The Mechanics*

Although their version of Am I Evil brilliant.

What the hell… I’ll get in on this.

1. Orion
  2. Blackened
  3. Dyer’s Eve
  4. Damage, Inc.
  5. Leper Messiah

Some off of Ride the Lightning would make it onto my top 10 list, as would some from Re-Revisited (even though those aren’t really Metallica songs).

In no order:

Blackened
Battery
Dyer’s Eve
Shortest Straw
Fade To Black

[quote]dday wrote:

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  4. Orion

enter sandman is not that bad, its a good song, the others the guy listed not so much

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
tootles27 wrote:
dday wrote:

A better list would be:

1. Master of Puppets
  2. Fade to Black
  4. Orion
  5. Seek and Destroy

How old do you have to be to like the songs the OP mentioned? I am in my middle 30’s and I like The Unforgiven II, The Memory Remains, No Leaf Clover, etc. better than the old stuff. No matter what Metallica you like better, they still write better material than anyone else out there IMO.

You are about the same age as my brother and he likes gay Metallica better too.

[/quote]

Hey, I would like to think that there is no “gay” Metallica. How about “slightly more sissy?”

Favorite will really depend what kind of mood I’m in but off the top of my head

Creeping Death- (live version)
Disposable Heroes
Master of Puppets
Unforgiven
Ride the Lightning

I liked all of their albums to be honest. Some days some of their later songs might make my top 5. I’m going to see them in January with my best friend I’m pretty stoked

[quote]dday wrote:
At what point where you introduced to Metallica? What did you listen to before you heard Metallica? Sure you can like what ever you want to like but Metallica was started as a metal band and those of us who are metal heads and grew up on the original Metallica know the first 4 albums where among the best metal records ever written, everything after that was soft, pop metal, top 40 sell out music. I’m not saying I don’t like some of those songs the OP mentioned but when it comes to the best Metallica they aren’t in the top 30 songs.
[/quote]

I started listening to Metallica when I started high school. So I believe that puts me around Master of Puppets time. Ashamed to say that my favorite band before them was Guns n Roses.

While I like the first albums, they are too angry for me. And if they were still angry like that after all these years, they would probably be dead. There is alot of raw energy in those albums and that’s hard to keep up over time. As far as their music from the last ten years, I would like to think of it as mature instead of sell out.