T Nation

Top 20 Antioxidant Rich Foods

Anybody else see this article on the top 20 richest antioxidant foods rated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. I didn’t realize that beans were so high on the list. Berries I understand and use them as part of my nutrition program.

Anyways, good read nonetheless.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=97&e=1&u=/hsn/berriesbeanstopbestantioxidantslist

Interesting article. However, where did the grapes and cherries go? They were not even on the list. This despite the fact that we keep hearing about how useful those 2 are.

Well, sweet cherries were there. I was surprised they didn?t mention raisins. I thought those were higher then prunes, in fact I thought they were at the top of the list.

notice it says ‘we’re not sure about beans’ and ‘we don’t know if everything can be absorbed’ . i think those are the key factors.

beans might have a lot of antioxidants in a test tube, but they tested dried beans in some cases, NO ONE eats dried beans. ICK. you can’t eat them. so, i think that’s irrelevant. this study is crap, they should have cooked the beans, and refried them and then seen how much they have. what use is a study if they don’t put in the edible form of a food? at least they cooked the artichoke. noone eats those raw.

i would still go with berries and low GI fruits. much less carbs, more nutrients and tastier! (unless you’re not on a low carb diet, some beans are ok. but watch out, they should be soaked or else… you know what happens!)

Blueberries are no surprise.

seminole chick,

You have made a great point! If the food is not appetizing it is not going to be consumed. No matter how good it is for you.