Top 15 Prescription Drugs in America

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
How many of these drugs can be avoided, by diet and exercise? [/quote]

Meni are you serious or joking?
It has the “reason” diagnosis off to the right.

Edit: I should add that I have prescribed all of those on the list, so I am not just talking out my ass. [/quote]

My count is 11 out of 15 can be affected by diet and exercise.

I understand what you are saying about being healthy and still being able to have high blood pressure. While this is true, if you took out the patients with obesity, poor diet, and excessive drug use/alchohol those numbers would drastically change. I think that is the point the OP is getting across.

You’ve said that you have prescribed these drugs to people. In your experience in a ratio how many of these people appeared healthy or actually had healthy lifestyles vs unhealthy? [/quote]

Its a valid question however the mentality is wrong. Agreed on environmental causes however this can also lead to the inverse thinking. Somebody who has done all this but refuses to accept the facts that they are not working and then has adverse events.

One of the worst people in the world about this are Dr’s themselves. I have known many Docs who refuse to accept that diet and excercise cant cure there own blood pressure or diabetes. A few who have actually died while running on a treadmill for Gods sake.

Also again regional aspect of medicine and what type of practice you work in. If you work in a rural poor area that takes a ton of Medicaid then yes fat out of shape just give me pills people but if you work in a middle class affluent practice that takes 90% insurance you will not have the same results.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:
God bless Prilosec.[/quote]

You ever been tested for H Pylori? [/quote]

Nope.

I don’t have any of the symptoms, other than some bloating.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

Nope.

I don’t have any of the symptoms, other than some bloating. [/quote]

Just a thought save you some money on the Prilosec. I suffered for years finally tested it in my annual blood panel and then took the treatment.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

Nope.

Just a thought save you some money on the Prilosec. I suffered for years finally tested it in my annual blood panel and then took the treatment. [/quote]

Hey, I appreciate the thought, DJ.

I never had stomach issues until I hit 30ish… Actually, it’s not as bad as it used to be, thank god.

How many of the H Pylori symtoms did you have?

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

Nope.

Just a thought save you some money on the Prilosec. I suffered for years finally tested it in my annual blood panel and then took the treatment. [/quote]

I never had stomach issues until I hit 30ish… Actually, it’s not as bad as it used to be, thank god.

How many of the H Pylori symtoms did you have?[/quote]

Pretty much all of them, another problem when you take care of people you dont take care of yourself. Mechanic with a POS car, Carpenter with broken down house. :slight_smile:

I have to keep my carb intake low. If I eat a couple pieces of pizza and drink a beer I am fucking in serious pain. I have had many a night when I was woke up at 3 with chest pain. And yes around 31 a lot of shit went down hill.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]imhungry wrote:

Nope.

How many of the H Pylori symtoms did you have?[/quote]

Pretty much all of them, another problem when you take care of people you dont take care of yourself. Mechanic with a POS car, Carpenter with broken down house. :slight_smile:

I have to keep my carb intake low. If I eat a couple pieces of pizza and drink a beer I am fucking in serious pain. I have had many a night when I was woke up at 3 with chest pain. And yes around 31 a lot of shit went down hill. [/quote]

“Doctor, heal thyself”, eh?

As long as I had food on my stomach, I was USUALLY ok… But, yeah… alcohol, tomato sauce, coffee etc. would cause the worst reflux EVER. I used to eat TUMS like they were candy… plus, they taste pretty good, too.

The nausea and dropping weight part would probably make me go see a doctor.

I think with Vicodin, pain tolerance is a HUGE issue in health care. Most doctors do not want their patients to deal with serious pain, so just to cover their bases they will prescribe it. Personally, I hate the shit. Fucks up my stomach, is constipating, just throws me off in general. I can’t imagine how people would take that shit recreationally, but then again, I am often the one who is accused of being “off.”

How old is that list? In Canada at least Zocor is not prescribed anywhere near as much as lipitor. Xanax is rarely prescribed because of the addiction risk. The rest is pretty much in line with what I usually prescribe (no surprise), except for the vicodin, not used much in Canada. When I prescribe opiods, I go for hydromorphone or morphine sulfate.

About the “I thought there would antidepressants on the list” comment, stating there’s a ton of AD to choose from if the explanation. This year, I prescribed bupropion, venlafaxine, escitalopram, citalopram, fluoxetine, trazodone, mirtapine and lithium (doesn’t count) and there are a few other to choose from.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I think with Vicodin, pain tolerance is a HUGE issue in health care. Most doctors do not want their patients to deal with serious pain, so just to cover their bases they will prescribe it. Personally, I hate the shit. Fucks up my stomach, is constipating, just throws me off in general. I can’t imagine how people would take that shit recreationally, but then again, I am often the one who is accused of being “off.” [/quote]

I could never sleep on vic. When I was recovering from my urethroplasty and had my left leg opened up, I was alternating norco and morphine every hour and a half for five days straight, increasing dosages around wound changes for my leg. Even being super hit up with morphine it still felt like my skeleton was being ripped out of my body. Anyway, by the fourth day I was hallucinating hard but when they lowered my dose even by a little, I was in so much pain I couldn’t breathe.

Anyway, I don’t know where I was going with that story. But once I got out of the damn hospital, at home, hopping around on crutches, I was on double strength vic for a week (maybe?) and then didn’t use any of the rest of the two month supply.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

Edit: I should add that I have prescribed all of those on the list, so I am not just talking out my ass. [/quote]

I understand what you are saying about being healthy and still being able to have high blood pressure. While this is true, if you took out the patients with obesity, poor diet, and excessive drug use/alchohol those numbers would drastically change. I think that is the point the OP is getting across.

You’ve said that you have prescribed these drugs to people. In your experience in a ratio how many of these people appeared healthy or actually had healthy lifestyles vs unhealthy? [/quote]

Its a valid question however the mentality is wrong. Agreed on environmental causes however this can also lead to the inverse thinking. Somebody who has done all this but refuses to accept the facts that they are not working and then has adverse events.

One of the worst people in the world about this are Dr’s themselves. I have known many Docs who refuse to accept that diet and excercise cant cure there own blood pressure or diabetes. A few who have actually died while running on a treadmill for Gods sake.

Also again regional aspect of medicine and what type of practice you work in. If you work in a rural poor area that takes a ton of Medicaid then yes fat out of shape just give me pills people but if you work in a middle class affluent practice that takes 90% insurance you will not have the same results.[/quote]

I guess there are two extremes to every issue and I’m not saying there aren’t other factors involved that lead people to these lifestyles. I wholeheartedly agree that there are factors in peoples microsystems, macrosystems, and even chronosystems that play a part in thier behaviors. Environment plays a huge role in these issues, albeit the people affected still have to take responsibility for thier lifestyle and the American people need to change the way the healthcare and food industry is ran. (this is a whole other topic) Unfortunately, I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

What do you do in the medical field if you don’t mind me asking? I’m just curious because I am looking to get in nursing.

[quote]byukid wrote:
Wow, I didn’t realize vicodin was that high. No wonder utah kids abuse it- there’s way more than anyone could ever need. I recovered from surgery and used about 1/4 of the vic that was prescribed to me, and I have an average threshold of pain.[/quote]

Nah bro, Utah leads the league in anti-depressant usage (#1 state in various scripts if I recall the Salt Lake Tribune article correctly)

That is because everybody is so FUCKING HAPPY HERE.

I have had high blood pressure since I was 13 years old…my doctor told me she would not change a thing with my diet and exercise program, and my bodyfat tested at 10.5 on the Parrillo skin fold.

She prescribed Lisiniopril and I have been right as rain, some drugs can help fix genetic anomalies.

[quote]byukid wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I think with Vicodin, pain tolerance is a HUGE issue in health care. Most doctors do not want their patients to deal with serious pain, so just to cover their bases they will prescribe it. Personally, I hate the shit. Fucks up my stomach, is constipating, just throws me off in general. I can’t imagine how people would take that shit recreationally, but then again, I am often the one who is accused of being “off.” [/quote]

I could never sleep on vic. When I was recovering from my urethroplasty and had my left leg opened up, I was alternating norco and morphine every hour and a half for five days straight, increasing dosages around wound changes for my leg. Even being super hit up with morphine it still felt like my skeleton was being ripped out of my body. Anyway, by the fourth day I was hallucinating hard but when they lowered my dose even by a little, I was in so much pain I couldn’t breathe.

Anyway, I don’t know where I was going with that story. But once I got out of the damn hospital, at home, hopping around on crutches, I was on double strength vic for a week (maybe?) and then didn’t use any of the rest of the two month supply.[/quote]

I had this problem as well. I’d get drowsy on opioids but had a bitch of a time actually getting to sleep. I just figured it was me though since I have a hard time sleeping under normal circumstances.

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

Also again regional aspect of medicine and what type of practice you work in. If you work in a rural poor area that takes a ton of Medicaid then yes fat out of shape just give me pills people but if you work in a middle class affluent practice that takes 90% insurance you will not have the same results.[/quote]

I guess there are two extremes to every issue and I’m not saying there aren’t other factors involved that lead people to these lifestyles. I wholeheartedly agree that there are factors in peoples microsystems, macrosystems, and even chronosystems that play a part in thier behaviors. Environment plays a huge role in these issues, albeit the people affected still have to take responsibility for thier lifestyle and the American people need to change the way the healthcare and food industry is ran. (this is a whole other topic) Unfortunately, I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

What do you do in the medical field if you don’t mind me asking? I’m just curious because I am looking to get in nursing.
[/quote]

Started out as a Respiratory Therapist in 1991 did that while I went to nursing school, got my BSN in 2000 and then got my MSN for Family Nurse Practitioner in 2005. I worked ER and ICU from 1991-2005. Did family practice for 3 years and then got into occupational medicine, now I am the regional manager for an Oc Med company.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

[/quote]

Started out as a Respiratory Therapist in 1991 did that while I went to nursing school, got my BSN in 2000 and then got my MSN for Family Nurse Practitioner in 2005. I worked ER and ICU from 1991-2005. Did family practice for 3 years and then got into occupational medicine, now I am the regional manager for an Oc Med company. [/quote]

Wow, you have quite a bit of experience and knowledge under your your belt. Congratulations on your achievements and hard work. I hope to get there some day. I am just finishing up all my preques to apply for the nursing program, hopefully by fall. I hope to work at a VA hospital helping fellow vets. We will see how that works out.

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Apollo1029 wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

[/quote]

Started out as a Respiratory Therapist in 1991 did that while I went to nursing school, got my BSN in 2000 and then got my MSN for Family Nurse Practitioner in 2005. I worked ER and ICU from 1991-2005. Did family practice for 3 years and then got into occupational medicine, now I am the regional manager for an Oc Med company. [/quote]

Wow, you have quite a bit of experience and knowledge under your your belt. Congratulations on your achievements and hard work. I hope to get there some day. I am just finishing up all my preques to apply for the nursing program, hopefully by fall. I hope to work at a VA hospital helping fellow vets. We will see how that works out.
[/quote]

I owe it all to my parents, they always worked hard and showed me the way. My Mom is a neonatal Nurse practitioner and she did it when she was in her 40’s. Kind of hard to be a wimp when your mom does it. :slight_smile: You will always have a job in nursing no worries there, plus if you are single there are a ton of nurses to choose from. I found my second wife in nursing school and she is a FNP like me now. Two 6 figure incomes are always nice.

I don’t see Teamocil anywhere on that list…it’s highly recommend by Dr. Tobias Funke

[quote]byukid wrote:
Wow, I didn’t realize vicodin was that high. No wonder utah kids abuse it- there’s way more than anyone could ever need. I recovered from surgery and used about 1/4 of the vic that was prescribed to me, and I have an average threshold of pain.[/quote]

Tylenol 3 used for pain is Canada’s number one prescribed narcotic and prescription med. I work in a pharmacy.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

[quote]byukid wrote:

Tylenol 3 used for pain is Canada’s number one prescribed narcotic and prescription med. I work in a pharmacy.[/quote]

Is that the deux deux deux?

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

[quote]byukid wrote:

Tylenol 3 used for pain is Canada’s number one prescribed narcotic and prescription med. I work in a pharmacy.[/quote]

Is that the deux deux deux?[/quote]

That is Tylenol 2. American’s can buy Tylenol 2 that are same thing but way lower codeine concentration. One that doesn’t need a prescription but is kept behind pharmacy counters. You can only take a bottle of 50 per person aross the border, if you are American going back home after buying it in Canada.