Top 100 NFL Players of 2011

[quote]Meni69 wrote:
I’m a Patriots fan and I say Revis, he is the best player in the NFL.
People can argue best QB, can argue best pass rusher, best running back
no one argues best corner[/quote]

Start at the top somebody already did.

If we are just going just by 2011, I say its the hot chick in DJs avatar

Brady #1 and Patrick Willis will be in the top 10.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
If we are just going just by 2011, I say its the hot chick in DJs avatar[/quote]

Matty it is actually a show on NFL network, they asked all the current NFL players to rank the top 100.

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

Does no one actually read the thread? Look above. I already did.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
To me, there are only a handful of QBs who belong in the GOAT category: Johnny Unitas, Favre, Manning, Brady, Starr, Elway and maybe Marino. And Joe of course.

[/quote]

Bradshaw has to be mentioned here also.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
If we are just going just by 2011, I say its the hot chick in DJs avatar[/quote]

Matty it is actually a show on NFL network, they asked all the current NFL players to rank the top 100. [/quote]

Yeah I know, but I havent seen it yet, I wasnt sure if it was the best of 2011 of all time.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

Does no one actually read the thread? Look above. I already did. [/quote]

Looks like you didnt read the first rebuttal to Meni’s post

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
To the OP, hey what do you think of Leron Mclain, think he is a good player?

[/quote]

Haha i’m assuming thats a joke.

He is currently working on losing weight to try to be a HB rather than a FB and i’m not so sure that’s the greatest idea but i’m a fan of the guy. I think he is highly underrated. The guy is the most versatile FB in the NFL. He’s a great run blocker, strong bruising runner, good hands, shifty feet (for 260), one of the better pass protecting backs, physical and an emotional leader on offense. It seems that alot of people forgot what he did for the Ravens in 08. Obviously the defense was better then but most of the first downs came on his legs, he stepped up his game and made the plays when they mattered. He is a great player, I’m not saying he’s the best guy in the nfl but no doubt should crack the top 100, i’m sure if you asked Ray Rice he’d agree with me.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
To me, there are only a handful of QBs who belong in the GOAT category: Johnny Unitas, Favre, Manning, Brady, Starr, Elway and maybe Marino. And Joe of course.

[/quote]

Bradshaw has to be mentioned here also.[/quote]

Bradshaw’s a special case. Granted, he’s got the hardware and he played pretty well in those Super Bowls, as evidenced by his 112.8 career passer rating in them, which is third all-time amongst QBs with 40 or more pass attempts in the Super Bowl. (Montana; 127.8, Jim Plunkett 122.8)

But the reason I leave him off the list is because of two things:

1. The defensive unit was the driving force on those teams, whereas everyone else in my list is or was THE driving force on theirs. No one overshadowed Montana or any of the others in that respect and they were all clearly the difference makers for their teams. Pittsburgh’s defense is what elevated them above the rest, whereas it was Joe Montana that elevated the 49ers above the rest in the 80’s.

2. I use postseason performance as a tiebreaker of sorts. When it comes down to the top, top echelon players in any sport, comparing regular season stats is like banging your head against the wall because when you get down to it, they ALL had great regular seasons. That’s why they’re in the discussion to begin with. In football I think the best way to evaluate QBs in this respect is to examine their postseason performance/success. But I leave Bradshaw off the list because his career numbers do not warrant him being mentioned with Montana or Elway or Unitas. He was a great QB, don’t get me wrong. But if the QBs I mentioned are the cream of the crop, he’s slightly below that level.

Be that as it may DB you’ll have a hard time arguing Montana is better than Brady if Brady finishes his career with more rings and more total TDs and yards. And we’re not in the land of hypothetical discussion here, there is a really high probability all these things will happen (TDs most definitely).

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
Be that as it may DB you’ll have a hard time arguing Montana is better than Brady if Brady finishes his career with more rings and more total TDs and yards. And we’re not in the land of hypothetical discussion here, there is a really high probability all these things will happen (TDs most definitely).[/quote]

IF he finishes with more rings. And it would be hard, but not impossible. First of all, Brady would have to play in a couple more Super Bowls and have near-perfect passer ratings to catch up to Montana’s ungodly 129 rating in the Super Bowl. And it’s too late for Brady to play in 4 super Bowls without throwing an interception.

But beyond that, it really doesn’t make any sense at all to compare Brady’s regular season numbers to Montana’s. When Montana played, teams didn’t throw the ball nearly as much as they do now, so all QBs numbers are going to be skewed in the favor of the current generation of players. Another thing is that Montana played in so many ass-kickings that it wasn’t uncommon for him to sit out most of the 4th quarter, thereby lessening his ability to accrue stats even more. He would play only 3 quarters a couple times every year it seemed like. Lastly, while I normally don’t like to point to injuries as a reason for lessened production, since this is only a possible scenario, a what if?, it seems appropriate here. Montana missed a lot of playing time in 1986 and 1987 and also missed the entire 1991 season and all but the last game of the 1992 season. Who knows how many more rings he might have?

DB, Brady has dealt with injuries to, he missed pretty much the whole 08 season. On another note though isn’t durability part of what makes someone a great player?

[quote]behexen wrote:
DB, Brady has dealt with injuries to, he missed pretty much the whole 08 season. On another note though isn’t durability part of what makes someone a great player?[/quote]

When Brady takes his team down the field for the game-winning touchdown in the Super Bowl, instead of the game-winning 50 yard field goal and he has four rings, we’ll continue this discussion.