T Nation

Top 10 Trainers for Combat Sports

Decided to put my top 10 up and was interested in seeing others. In no particular order

1.Alwyn Cosgrove
2.Jamie Hale
3.Diesel Crew (yes I know they are several different people.)
4.Zach Evan-esh- Love how he takes things from the old time wrestlers/strongman.
5.Mike Fry
6.Mike Mahler
7.Martin Rooney
8.Pavel Tsatsoline and the Dragon Door Community
9.Taku
10.Wiggy

Renzo gracie
Jackson camp
ATT

Ross Enamait
Mark Hatmaker
Rigan Machado
Eddie Bravo

(i’m talking about books of their’s i’ve read, i guess)

Again, not in any specific order

1)Joe Lewis
2)Angelo Dundee
3)Jackson Camp
4)Eddie Bravo
5)Gracie Family (I’m just going to lump them into one, but they’re pretty much all good coaches, especially when it comes to JJ)
6)Walt and Charlie Lysak
7)Freddie Roach
8)American Top Team
9)Cael Sanderson
10)Dan Gable

Honorable mentions:
Mark Hatmaker
Rigan Machado
Cary Kolat
Billy Robinson
Erik Paulson

Besides Jackson being number 1, the rest are in no particular order.

1)Greg Jackson- his fighters don’t lose
2)Pat Miletich- he needs a new gen. of top fighters but he has had some great ones
3)Mark Dellagrotte- I love how he teaches not just muay thai but all forms of southeast Asian boxing
4)Xtreme Couture- I think Robert Drysdale is a great bjj coach and at least when he fights Randy has some great game plans and I know anyone who trains with him learns a lot. I think he is and will continue to get better as a trainer/coach
5) Ricardo Liborio -ATT, enough said.
6) Yuki nakai- founder of the Paraestra and has taught shinya aoki everything he knows

I was talking more about the strength and conditioning side of things but these are interesting too.

I don’t know a lot of the MMA guys you people are throwing out, but I do have a problem with Ross Enamait and Pavel being tossed out there.

Ross is awesome, don’t get me wrong, but if you want to put him anywhere near the Freddie Roach’s, Nazim Richardson’s, or Floyd Mayweather Sr.'s of the world, you need to get off the acid.

And Pavel - who the fuck has he trained? Ever? “Secret Soviet Commandos” aren’t counted, either.

And Mike Mahler? Again, I love his shit, but he’s never trained anyone I’ve ever heard of.

I think you guys seriously need to at least reevaluate the title of this thread. It should be “People I think are cool who claim to train fighters but we never seen them in anybody’s corner”.

matt hume doesn’t get a lot of publicity, but guys often go to him to trouble shoot and gameplan. solid tactician.

Jon Chaimberg seems to be doing a good job with GSP for strength and conditioning.

lol i know what you mean irish…the first post was like all people this guy has heard off of this website hahah

[quote]al38 wrote:
Jon Chaimberg seems to be doing a good job with GSP for strength and conditioning.[/quote]

Yea I unfortunately forgot him, Billy Rush, and Joel Jamieson

I don’t know much about these guys, but if I could pick a trainer for myself right now, I’d go with Bas Rutten.

His techniques are brutal and effective, perfect for my way of thinking.

Bas’s training DVD’s (The Big DVD’s of Combat) are solid gold.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I don’t know a lot of the MMA guys you people are throwing out, but I do have a problem with Ross Enamait and Pavel being tossed out there.

Ross is awesome, don’t get me wrong, but if you want to put him anywhere near the Freddie Roach’s, Nazim Richardson’s, or Floyd Mayweather Sr.'s of the world, you need to get off the acid.

And Pavel - who the fuck has he trained? Ever? “Secret Soviet Commandos” aren’t counted, either.

And Mike Mahler? Again, I love his shit, but he’s never trained anyone I’ve ever heard of.

I think you guys seriously need to at least reevaluate the title of this thread. It should be “People I think are cool who claim to train fighters but we never seen them in anybody’s corner”.

[/quote]

Don’t know if you’re directing that statement at me Irish, but the title is 10 best trainers for “combat sports”, which isn’t necessarily limited to MMA.

Several of the ones that I mentioned have trained champion boxers, kickboxers, karate fighters, wrestlers, submission grapplers and several were champions themselves.

[quote]OneMoreRep wrote:

2)Pat Miletich- he needs a new gen. of top fighters but he has had some great ones
3)Mark Dellagrotte- I love how he teaches not just muay thai but all forms of southeast Asian boxing
4)Xtreme Couture- I think Robert Drysdale is a great bjj coach and at least when he fights Randy has some great game plans and I know anyone who trains with him learns a lot. I think he is and will continue to get better as a trainer/coach
6) Yuki nakai- founder of the Paraestra and has taught shinya aoki everything he knows
[/quote]

This.

If we go into the boxing world, you could also mention greats like Nacho Beristain, Freddy Roach, Floyd Mayweather Sr., Emanuel Steward.

I like Eddie Bravo, Joe Roach has done some amazing things with Andre Arlovski, and Mark Dellagrotte can’t miss. Love that guy.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Don’t know if you’re directing that statement at me Irish, but the title is 10 best trainers for “combat sports”, which isn’t necessarily limited to MMA.

Several of the ones that I mentioned have trained champion boxers, kickboxers, karate fighters, wrestlers, submission grapplers and several were champions themselves.[/quote]

No no, I assumed the people you were naming were real trainers. I was more referring to the people who tend to call themselves “combat trainers” or some shit when they’ve never actually trained a fighter. Especially when he’s comparing them to the likes of the Manny Stewards of the world, feel me?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Several of the ones that I mentioned have trained champion boxers, kickboxers, karate fighters, wrestlers, submission grapplers and several were champions themselves.

No no, I assumed the people you were naming were real trainers. I was more referring to the people who tend to call themselves “combat trainers” or some shit when they’ve never actually trained a fighter. Especially when he’s comparing them to the likes of the Manny Stewards of the world, feel me?[/quote]

Yeah, I hear you. I wouldn’t put anyone (well, maybe Rooney would be on a list of combat sports trainers, but not in the top 10) in the OP’s list in the top ten combat sports trainers.

He seems to be talking about from a purely conditioning standpoint though. In which case my list would change, but still wouldn’t include most (if any) of the OP’s guys.

[quote]mldj wrote:
OneMoreRep wrote:

This.

If we go into the boxing world, you could also mention greats like Nacho Beristain, Freddy Roach, Floyd Mayweather Sr., Emanuel Steward.[/quote]

x2

Kickboxing…SHAWN FUCKING TOMPKINS!

Cus d’Amato-Tyson’s original trainer and adopted father