Top 10 Sports with the Fittest Athletes

Wrote a blog post on the sports of the top 10 sports fittest athletes. My definition for fitness in this case a was a well rounded blend of speed, power, strength, muscular endurance, power endurance, and stamina. Here is the list in no particular order
Gymnast
Sport Acrobats
Strongman
Olympic Lifters
American Football (select positions)
Rugby
Australian Rules Football
Combat Sports/Martial Arts
Track and Field (power events)
Fitness Competitions

‘Olympic Lifters’

It depeneds… Chinese, yes. Bulgarians, hell no.

Football players, specifically RBs and LBs (amazing combination of strength, stamina and speed)
Rugby/Australian rules football (same as above)
Strongmen (strength, duh, speed not really there, stamina is above avg…speed is the only thing keeping them from the top)
Combat sports (incredible stamina maybe the most stamina on the list, less strength overall than above)
Oly lifters (big on strength and power, low on speed and stamina, compared to above)
Gymnasts (incredible strength, speed? stamina must be pretty high)
track and field (I’d put sprinters ahead of power events for the better combo of speed, strength and stamina)
TF power events (strength, some stamina, speed not really applicable)

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that mlb starting pitchers who throw 95+ come next. Incredible stamina, muscular endurance/strength in legs, back and shoulders. The pitching motion is extremely more violent and has a higher rate of acceleration in terms of degrees per second than any other sport listed above, and since it is repeated over and over this is incredible stamina in my book.

Ironman competitors should be on the list, probably higher than pitchers as well. High degree of muscular endurance (in a very wide range of muscles), off the charts stamina, decent power. I’d place them at about third or fourth on this list, a very good blend of all the requisite traits.

[quote]Justscrap wrote:
Wrote a blog post on the sports of the top 10 sports fittest athletes. My definition for fitness in this case a was a well rounded blend of speed, power, strength, muscular endurance, power endurance, and stamina. Here is the list in no particular order
Gymnast
Sport Acrobats
Strongman
Olympic Lifters
Rugby
Fitness Competitions
[/quote]

Um the fittest athlete = athlete most fit to do their sport. So, the best athlete in each sport is the fittest athlete. If I’m a shot putter and I throw 80 feet but it takes me 15 minutes to recover for the next throw, I’m still the fittest athlete in shot put.

+1 Gymnast.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Justscrap wrote:
Gymnast
Sport Acrobats
Strongman
Olympic Lifters
Rugby
Fitness Competitions
[/quote]

Um the fittest athlete = athlete most fit to do their sport. So, the best athlete in each sport is the fittest athlete. If I’m a shot putter and I throw 80 feet but it takes me 15 minutes to recover for the next throw, I’m still the fittest athlete in shot put.[/quote]

No, that’s just a measure of the athlete most fit to perform his particular sport. The question is who is the most overall fit athlete. What athlete has the best combination of the attributes listed by the OP?

This is silly each athlete is fit for their given sport.

Decathletes?

How basketball and football didn’t make your list is beyond me, especially basketball. I’d throw soccer in there too and I barely consider it a sport lol. Anyway, I think your list is very wanting. Fitness competitions??!!! Huh?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Justscrap wrote:
Gymnast
Sport Acrobats
Strongman
Olympic Lifters
Rugby
Fitness Competitions
[/quote]

Um the fittest athlete = athlete most fit to do their sport. So, the best athlete in each sport is the fittest athlete. If I’m a shot putter and I throw 80 feet but it takes me 15 minutes to recover for the next throw, I’m still the fittest athlete in shot put.[/quote]

No, that’s just a measure of the athlete most fit to perform his particular sport. The question is who is the most overall fit athlete. What athlete has the best combination of the attributes listed by the OP?[/quote]

I kind of understand what the OP wants but the word “fittest” is throwing me. Athletes are going to gear there training to fit the sport they are in.

And each team sport needs members that are better in There POSITIONS than others. A lineman needs more Power than speed A RB needs more speed and agility.
So what sport creates an athlete with Equal parts Speed, Power, Agility?

Combat athletes should be at the top of the list.

Didn’t Poliquin say something about pole vaulters being the best?
Great strength and coordination
Great speed
Balls

Some strongmen are pretty fast. Not sprinter fast, but not slower than any other athlete. Pudzianowski and Magnus Samuelsson come to mind.

[quote]kakno wrote:
Great speed
Balls

[/quote]

I’ve heard this several times.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:
Great speed
Balls

[/quote]

I’ve heard this several times.[/quote]

/thread

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:
Great speed
Balls

[/quote]

/thread[/quote]

^^ This

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
How basketball and football didn’t make your list is beyond me, especially basketball. I’d throw soccer in there too and I barely consider it a sport lol. Anyway, I think your list is very wanting. Fitness competitions??!!! Huh?[/quote]

This. Basketball players are the best combination of speed, power, endurance, hand/eye coordination, dexterity, agility, leaping ability, footwork, finesse, etc… No other sport combines everything the way basketball does.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:
Great speed
Balls

[/quote]

/thread[/quote]

I love you…and her…and you…actually, can you two just make out?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

How basketball and football didn’t make your list is beyond me, especially basketball. I’d throw soccer in there too and I barely consider it a sport lol. Anyway, I think your list is very wanting. Fitness competitions??!!! Huh?[/quote]

This. Basketball players are the best combination of speed, power, endurance, hand/eye coordination, dexterity, agility, leaping ability, footwork, finesse, etc… No other sport combines everything the way basketball does.[/quote]

I cannot agree with you more. Pro basketball players bring more “athletic” traits to the table than any other sport competitor. Especially when you consider the average height of the player. But what I find most funny is that retired NBA players seem to blow up more than any other pro athlete when their careers are over.

[quote]Crow wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

This. Basketball players are the best combination of speed, power, endurance, hand/eye coordination, dexterity, agility, leaping ability, footwork, finesse, etc… No other sport combines everything the way basketball does.[/quote]

I cannot agree with you more. Pro basketball players bring more “athletic” traits to the table than any other sport competitor. Especially when you consider the average height of the player. But what I find most funny is that retired NBA players seem to blow up more than any other pro athlete when their careers are over.
[/quote]

That’s cuz muscle turns to fat. Duh.

I’ve seen this too. They are often kids who have a hard time putting on much muscle, so they eat a ton, and then suddenly they are old and significantly less active…

should be about 50000000 pages on this subject thats been asked for years… specific training for ones sport.

i bet tiger woods would poop out in a 30k x - country ski race… a race for very very fit athletes… lets say he gives up golf and specifically trains for this ski race. how will he do??? we’ll never know cause all he does is golf…

now , we know Pudzianowski is a bad ass strongman, but the dude was gassed big time in 6 minutes fighting tim silvia? 6 minutes… wonder what a marathoner thinks of a guy pooping out in 6 minutes… let the debates go on…