Top 10 Reader Tips

Hello All,

After the great discussion we had under my top 10 tips, I decided to put together a top 10 reader tips. The article has come together really well and I have 9 solid ones. I’m looking for 1 more to round out the article. Any winners?

Here are the 9 I have so far (and don’t worry, these are just the section headers - there are some awesome stories and is some great discussion below each):

LESSON #1
While the study of nutrition and training is complex, the actual practice of it should be simple.

LESSON #2
Learning requires a serious investment.

LESSON #3
Don’t focus on all the details, focus on the important details.

LESSON #4
Frame goals around behaviors.

LESSON #5
Look for progress “outside the box.”

LESSON #6
Get a training partner.

LESSON #7
Don’t be fickle with your training and nutrition.

LESSON #8
It’s for life.

LESSON #9
The body is built for moving.

So what’s #10?

Hmm, stop reading start doing? The perfect program doesn’t exist… don’t waste time trying to find it instead of getting started.

Or the corollary, only look at program improvements if you are already implementing one!

Never underestimate the power of the mind. It seemed to work out well for a couple of guys named Kazmaier and Schwarzenegger.

#10 Seek mentors that have achieved what you want in life. Learn to do what has worked for others before building your own model.

Be humble

Dont become a zealot for the perfect regime

Always ensure progress through regular reviews.

If the PASSION is there, SUCCESS is sure to follow…

[quote]Dboy wrote:
If the PASSION is there, SUCCESS is sure to follow…

[/quote]

Amen to that!

Dboy, Risenhoover, and Built Big all had good suggestions… just make it the top 12 tips and you won’t have to deal with eliminating any of them.

Surround yourself with people smarter than yourself.

Be consistent. All the knowledge, planning and support won’t help unless you show up.

Attitude is the most important piece of equipment in the gym.

Hang out with people that have the same goals as you. Either change your friends or change your friends.

How about: “Do the difficult movements and programs, that’s where the progress is.”

NEVER stop the learning process.

If you think you know-it-all…and can learn nothing from anyone else…you are probably still eating chicken and rice-cake diets; doing 6 hour workout sessions; and have a body to prove it…

Mufasa

Give it a fair chance, but recognize if it isn’t working and try something else.

There are two other thoughts that I refer to frequently in my personal life.

Are you absolutely willing to do whatever it takes to get it?

?Each indecision brings its own delays and days are lost lamenting over lost days?, What you can do or think you can do begin it, For boldness has Magic, Power, and Genius in it.? -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Sometimes you puke.

Perseverence?Just do it!
Many times we wait for things to be perfect or have to have a perfect program for the “slow metabolism-easy-gainer-tall-skinny-guy.”
It’s more important to just get in the gym and get lifting, once you do that then you can start tweeking things.

I’m impressed by the posts so far. Good thinking, T-Nationers!

Thanks for the tips! The article’s being finished today!

JB